Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion The internet, then & now: hyper-centralization

Chinkbonics

Chinkbonics

But he reminds me of my brother!
★★★
The internet up until the early 2010s involved more decentralized & more closer-knit communities of forums, webrings, and no major traditional social media websites. Even though the first seeds for "nu-internet" had already been planted around 2005 with the initial introduction of yt, fb, & reddit, they would take some time to grow. The average person would browse a multitude of personalized sites to fit each of their niches, interests, & hobbies; more savvy users would likely be communicating via IRC. There were no smartphones like the iPhone introduced yet, and computers were still relatively expensive; this meant that there was a bit of a filter to use the internet--the majority who used it were already fairly technologically inclined.

Now, most people exclusively browse the exact same few sites & services. reddit, youtube, google, twitch, twitter, instagram. What used to be decentralized is now hyper-centralized. It is now easier for corporations & media to monetize the internet. It is now easier for fewer 'admins' to take charge over more people. It is now easier for politics to fizzle its way into internet culture.

The modern affordable smartphone at least fueled the beginning of the end. Any idiot, in any country, can now fuck everything up as they pleased, whether they realized it or not. There are no filters anymore. Any purpose the internet had is now simply replaced with the magnification of western societal vices. It is profitable to please the normal majority; everything has to be a hug-box. You now have to watch your back with every word you speak even with a pseudo-anonymous identity, especially considering that most services are linked. If you don't fit their cookie-cutter mold, you will be 'canceled'. You may be doxxed, etc. etc.

Many communities, faced with imminent death, attempted to push back starting around 2015-2016. However, any chance they may have had was only an illusion. The moralfags have always had the upper hand. The moralfags have already won, and anyone who doesn't fit the mold has been sufficiently silenced.

It used to be said, sometimes as a joke, that you had to have a backbone to be able to use the internet. That being taken the piss out of was to be expected, and it toughened you up. None of this is true anymore in any shape or form.

Last edited:
I miss the old Internet. If someone was complaining about another user saying "nigger" or something everyone'd tell that faggot to fuck off. Now you get your life ruined. Thanks iPhones.

The entire problem is that the internet became monetisable. If everyone used adblock from day 1 of bullshit advertisement social media apps, this could have been stopped.

Now we have the easily offended cancel culture collective with their tentacles wrapped around everything, heard the latest with patreon cancelling accounts that contain sexual content on them they don't approve of, even if your content is on another site like pixiv. Ruined, it's always ruined by these fucks with their bullshit morals.

The entire problem is that the internet became monetisable.

Agreed, Youtube content quickly became clickbait garbage when they started monetizing channels for content that was created.

The internet was designed to be decentralized yet it still turned out like this. Pretty sad.

I miss the old Internet. If someone was complaining about another user saying "nigger" or something everyone'd tell that faggot to fuck off. Now you get your life ruined. Thanks iPhones.
2007 was the year the internet truly died
it was when normies first came into contact with the internet and nerd/geek culture
was also the year that Iphone came out

2007 was the year the internet truly died
it was when normies first came into contact with the internet and nerd/geek culture
was also the year that Iphone came out
I started using the Internet around 2011 (I'm a zoomer) and it was still good. I remember clearly that the shift truly happened in 2012 and everything became shittier. God fucking damn, normalfags need to get shot.

also foids never had a fucking interest in internet untill they could make pictures of themselfs making duckface

I started using the Internet around 2011 (I'm a zoomer) and it was still good. I remember clearly that the shift truly happened in 2012 and everything became shittier. God fucking damn, normalfags need to get shot.
I'm 20 and didn't use it till 2013
i think 2014 is when i saw the "shift"