Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

News Surprising turns in magnetic thin films could lead to better data storage

Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Disregard my larping efforts. I can't change it.
★★★★

MIT researchers discover efficient control of magnetism in chiral ferromagnets.

20130617145908-0_0.jpg

A magnetic phenomenon newly discovered by MIT researchers could lead to much faster, denser and more energy-efficient chips for memory and computation.
The findings, reported in the journal Nature Materials, could reduce the energy needed to store and retrieve one bit of data by a factor of 10,000, says the paper’s senior author, Geoffrey Beach, an assistant professor of materials science and engineering at MIT. The paper’s co-authors are graduate students Satoru Emori and Uwe Bauer, postdoc Sung-Min Ahn, and Eduardo Martinez of the University of Salamanca in Spain.
Beach says that hints of the new phenomenon have been reported for several years, but these had remained unexplained until now. The new results could overcome “a lot of what had seemed like fundamental limitations” in the control and use of magnetic materials, he says, adding: “It’s a whole new approach to the design of magnetic materials.”

i was in a medicine college so i really don't have very knowledge in STEM science tbh

Time to become ADHD sonic

Good news for us who need a lot of storage. :feelsokman: :feelsokman: :feelsokman: :feelsLSD: :feelsLSD: :feelsLSD:

how will this affect the local fish population

Good news for us who need a lot of storage. :feelsokman: :feelsokman: :feelsokman: :feelsLSD: :feelsLSD: :feelsLSD:
Film was actually used in early supercomputers, and could reach a terabit. IBM stopped development of them though, but maybe improvements in material science will cause a revival.

Film was actually used in early supercomputers, and could reach a terabit. IBM stopped development of them though, but maybe improvements in material science will cause a revival.
And smaller data storage devices will get even cheaper too :feelsokman: