Soylent - a DIY fuel source for the human at large.

I

Indari

YAAAAAMEEEEROOOOOOO !!!!!
-
116d 23h 40m

r/soylent​

HotNew

pinned by moderators
Posted by
u/latestfuels

3 months ago

The Complete Food Survey '20 is Now Live - Take Part and Earn Discounts+Giveaways​

comments

Posted by
u/slyticoon

4 hours ago

My Personal Experience with Soylent​

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal experience. This is not a review or a warning to anyone. I just wanted to share my story and get feedback from others who may have had similar experiences.

So I got started with Soylent back in college (2017). I was always eating fast food, and was very unhealthy. I discovered Soylent and found that they had a RTD version. I ordered a few boxes of the unflavored kind and absolutely fell in love.
I spent about 1 and 1/4 years in college drinking primarily Soylent. I lost weight, felt healthier, and had more energy. Plus, I saved money from not eating out as much. Once I decided to eat solid food again, I noticed I had trouble swallowing without choking on my food. This went away after a few months of primarily solid food. After some time, I just didn't drink Soylent very often.
Fast forward to 2019. I was working as an EMT, and I had gained back weight. I spent a lot of hours seated in an ambulance and driving long distances. I decided to get into long fasting, and after a few months of that (loosing 30 Lbs) I decided to start Soylent again. I had not been on a Soylent only diet for a while, and I decided to try Coffiest and Vanilla RTD. I would drink a Coffiest at the beginning of the shift (6:30 PM) and drink Vanilla RTD throughout the shift.
This is where things get a bit weird. I started noticing pain in the right lower quadrant of my abdomen that sometimes radiated to my left flank. It felt like a burning pain, varying in intensity from 1/10 to 4/10. After a few weeks of it not getting any better, I went to the doctor. Urinalysis and blood tests came back clean, so she ordered an ultrasound of my abdomen. (I am a male. Never thought I would get an ultrasound before my fiancé lol) Ultrasound revealed that my right kidney was inflamed. Doctor suggested NSAIDs to treat the pain and a return visit if it doesn't go away.
My mother suggested I lay off the Soylent, so I gave it a try. I didn't take the NSAIDs unless I it got really annoying (which it did not often). After about a week, the pain subsided. Doctor said I did not have to come back if I had no pain. I had one incident a few weeks after the pain subsided where a drank Coffiest for a few days and it started to come back. (could have been psychosomatic, don't recall much about it)
So now its 2021. I gained back weight during COVID due to work being absolutely insane. I just got a new job in IT in December and it's a desk job with even less physical activity than working as an EMT. I have started drinking vanilla RTD again (just from my leftover stock), and I am going to try Huel because of its lack of soy.
This will be the experiment to see if perhaps the soy content caused some sort of irritation in my case. I know the two were likely unrelated, but it was strange that drinking Soylent Coffiest correlated with the return of the pain.
Anybody else experience something like this? Anybody gone from Soylent to Huel? Would love to hear those experiences.
2 comments

Vote
Posted by
u/GuteNachtJohanna

1 hour ago

Messed Up Order​

Shopping

I know many people here get their Soylent without any issues, but just wanted to document my experience since I'm sure people come here wondering if they're the only one!
I set up some new subscriptions after not having Soylent for around a year. I ordered some mocha, some mint chocolate, and banana. I received a FedEx notification and Soylent notification of shipment about 3 days after order.
I just "received" my order from Soylent - initially, I thought it had to be a FedEx issue like maybe they lost a box. That's still a possibility, but I found that when I opened the box I did get, I received half the mint chocolate I ordered, 0 mochas, 0 banana, and a box of the new Nootropic shake that I didn't order. The invoice clearly stated what I had ordered, so the order wasn't wrong. Both Soylent and FedEx sent me an email that my full order had been delivered.
I emailed Soylent customer service and am waiting on their response - slightly frustrating that the very first order of a subscription is both incorrect in volume and flavors.
0 comments

Posted by
u/thats_that_then

7 hours ago

Crosspost: JimmyJoy, would you consider making Pots available in single serve sachets or similar?​

reddit.com/r/Jimm...
0 comments

Vote
Posted by
u/CroustiBat

11 minutes ago

How is Powder as expensive as Bottles?​

[Product] Discussion

The largest tub on amazon ends up being essentially the same price per meal / calorie as the bottles, even though they have to be more work to manufacture and ship.
I don't want to buy the bottles because of the added waste in shipping and plastic, but how come the tub is hardly at a discount.
0 comments

Vote
Posted by
u/Robinhoodie5

49 minutes ago

Soylent bucket ever coming back?​

I just recently got into soylent after looking at it since it was originally on kickstarter. I went from having stomach issues in the first couple days to nearly 100% in a short amount of time.

I see that the bucket was available as early as recent as last fall, anyone know if there's plans for that coming back?
0 comments

Vote
Posted by
u/ExpressionShoddy1574

53 minutes ago

Soylent 1.9 high blood pressure​

Curious is anyone else having high blood pressure.
Hi so im 6ft 180 lbs my blood pressure most my life has been 130/80 even when I weighed 155/165 thru highschool lots of skateboarding bike riding and enjoyed gym time. Ive figured out that most my high blood pressure is from red meat had my blood pressure mostly really low last two years first year mostly eating chicken thigh and white rice. One cup of rice and 2 cups of chicken for lunch sometime half of it for breakfast so i was also fasting a bit. Couldnt control what was for dinner so that was whatever of it was red meat i tried not eating much of it. Odd they say that shouldnt work too much fat. Not for me lost weight and lowerd blood pressure 115/60. Second year i wanted to gain more muscle tires of cooking chicken and wanted all the vitamins i maybe not getting from not eating veggies most of the day dinner only. Last year i did pretty good 90/20 i think was my lowest in august.
Since November my blood pressure has gone back up 120-145 /80 - 90
Curious is anyone else having high blood pressure? When did soylent switch the last formula?
0 comments

Posted by
u/Bee-Spoke

4 hours ago

Hol Food Review​

HolFood Discussion

As a life-long chocoholic, I have always wanted a healthful way to indulge my addiction. I’m 77 years old now so that search has been extensive. I’ve tried just about everything touted to be both tasty and healthful. I won’t bore you with brand names, but you know them. They’re all gritty and leave yucky aftertastes and/or create digestive disturbances of different extremes.
Never have I found anything to take my mind off of a Wendy’s Frosty, or a Dairy Queen's Chocolate Extreme Blizzard, or a bowl of Kawartha's Death-By-Chocolate Ice Cream.
I ordered my first samples of Hol Food almost a full year ago, in February of 2020—after reading yet more reviews claiming this product tastes wonderful. Imagine my surprise to find the reviews to be true! The vanilla flavour was nice, of course, but the chocolate was heaven-sent.
I quickly put down my cup and ordered a tub. Chocolate, of course. And it arrived almost immediately.
As March and April progressed, we realized that the pandemic was also progressing. I decided I should order more Hol Food in case it became difficult to get. This time I ordered a tub of vanilla, too.
The tubs are enormous and I live in a tiny apartment so I had to create a new easy-access storage area plus dedicate a couple of smaller opaque canisters for my daily use. Those tubs are too big for me to handle easily and their lids just too hard for my old hands.
Daily use immediately became my routine. I add vanilla flavour Hol Food to my morning mango lassi. I make my chocolate-flavour Hol Food shakes in 1/2-portions so I can grab one as a snack (or a couple for a meal) whenever I’m in the mood. And I'm in the mood a lot.
Each shake totally satisfies my chocolate yearning. I don’t crave other forms. The taste is pure perfection. My digestive system has had no uncomfortable reaction. The texture is always smooth and creamy. Always. I look forward to my Hol Food shakes and find calorie-counting to be easier than ever, especially since I'm never tempted to sneak in some forbidden treat.
The convenience is remarkable. I make my 1/2-shakes with ice and water blended using my small counter-top blender. I’ve marked the side of the blender cup at the 3/4 cup line and I use only 1 scoop of Hol Food.
Sometimes I branch out with regular milk or coconut milk or I might even add a dab of unsweetened whipping cream—but just plain water makes me the happiest.
0 comments

Posted by
u/1cor15_1-4

22 hours ago

Making the switch to 100%​

Im a mid twenties male, my bmi is 34.4. I don't even look overwieght which is why I probably neglected my health for so long, but today my blood pressure read 140+/80+. I've decided God willing to workout once a day 6 days per week for 45 min, and switch to 100% soylent 3-4 bottles per day. This would heavily cut down on my sodium intake and hopefully I can see results soon. Anybody see any success with controlling high blood pressure going 100% soylent ? Any other tips? Thanks!
comments

Posted by
u/goblinkate

1 day ago

Have you been met with disagreement from your family?​

So I partially switched to Mana drink (I'm Czech, by the way) and while most people around me mostly don't give a damn, my mom in particular isn't excited about it.
I'm still running and driving around like a crazy idiot even during this pandemic and I'm not fond of either going to the bigger shops to get all the necessary ingredients for a good quality meal or ordering expensive grocery shopping online. Equally, I grew tired of thinking and making up what will I eat, mostly when I'm working late AND when I don't know what day I'll be back home - I'm currently snowed in at a place that's hard to reach. Pretty sure the carrots I left in the fridge will go straight to the bin when I return. So, naturally, Mana drink is super convenient for me and I actually like it.
I was just asked what will I have for lunch, answering Mana - and had to defend my choice by saying that I had two pieces of bread with jam for breakfast, cos mom just gave me that annoyed "the fuck" look again.
Anyone meets with a similar disagreement? I honestly did not think anyone would really care about what do I let my body survive on :D it's sort of amusing to me.
comments

Posted by
u/JayteeBurke

22 hours ago

First order​

Inaccurate

My understanding was that if one chose one could totally substitute soylent and eat food optionally but when I opened my box and read a package of soy lent it’s written very clearly that one must not consume more than 2 servings per day, but that’s only 800 calories. Does everyone who uses soylent as a full meal replacement just disregard this warning? Is it a new warning? I have to say I’m quite disappointed. Also I ordered the most frequent subscription at every 15 days but it only came with 7 bags. If each bag is 2K calories like I e read on the forum I’ve only got enough soy lent for one week as an adult male. Even with the first time purchase discount and the subscription discount it was $66 CAD. If that’s a weekly cost that’s actually more expensive that my usual eating habits. Can anyone recommend a better product? Or tell me if there is a flaw in my logic anywhere?
comments

Posted by
u/kratomdude67

1 day ago

Soylent squared bars??​

Ok I’ve got a problem. I was literally addicted to these damn things and now they’re out of stock. Does anyone have any insight on if they are going to produce these again? OR anyone have any boxes I can buy?
comments

Posted by
u/Dislexic_

2 days ago

Plenny Bar Pizza Flavour​

Flavoring!

Since I haven't seen any posts about the new Jimmy Joy pizza flavoured bar, here is my opinion about it.
I really like it. It has a good consistency, but is rather on the chewy side. The flavour is well balanced, you can taste the dried tomato and onion powder. Maybe just a bit strong on the oregano. And it could be a bit less sweet for my liking (rice syrup).
Since I don't usually buy bars, I can't compare it to other brands (except for Queal bars, which I didn't like much, flavour and consistency wise).
Considering the 400kcal, 2,50€ is a pretty good price, too.
In general, I am glad there are more and more savoury meal replacement options on the market recently.
comments

Posted by
u/Dubstah

2 days ago

Soylent powder 1.9 pouch size​

Having trouble understanding just how much soylent is in one pouch of powder. I've been doing 100% soylent and just dumping a whole bag in a blender every morning and I can't seem to figure out just how many calories I am consuming.
The front of the pouch says 450 g.
The nutrition facts says "About 7-8 floz or servings per container", and that the serving size is 60g. Really odd wording there but that would seem to imply 7*60=420 g in one pouch.
When I weighh it out though, one pouch seems to have 8 servings. I just went through and put 5 unopened pouches on my scale, and they all came out to ~490g. Minus the small pouch weight it ends up being closer to 480g, so 8 servings.
Is my scale wrong, or is there really 8 servings per pouch? With soylent being so formulaic and such it's weird how confusing it figure out how many calories (grams) are in one pouch.
comments

Posted by
u/bd648

3 days ago

Mana RTD in the US!!!​

MANA Discussion

https://drinkmana.com/collections/mana-drinks
I'm about as excited as could be. Finally being able to get this stuff in the US has brought me immense joy! It's still pre-order, but it will probably make me give up soylent for good.
comments

Posted by
u/ban_Anna_split

3 days ago

Food for thought​

[Product] Discussion

https://www.oatsovernight.com/products/mint-chocolate-chip-cookie is around the same (or less if you buy more) price per meal as Soylent.
It's not a complete food as far as I know, but I may give it a try since I do still prefer cheap, quick and somewhat healthy food in a solid form. Anyone ever tried this?
comments

About Community​

Resources, links, experiences, and relevant news dealing with engineered staple foods including but not limited to Soylent. All discussion of products, recipes, and research concerning nutritionally complete foods is welcome.
Members

Created Mar 14, 2013

Filter by flair​

Related Communities​

r/Huel
13,833 members

r/ketochow
24,060 members

r/nutrition
1,486,947 members

r/ketoaustralia
16,916 members

r/Supplements
166,742 members

r/GregDoucette
7,547 members

r/FODMAPS
25,719 members

r/veganuk
14,793 members

r/PlantBasedDiet
171,545 members

r/gainitmeals
49,919 members

What is Soylent?​

Soylent, conceptually, is the idea that nutrition can be quantified and simplified to make foods that are easy, cost effective, and nutritionally complete.

Reddilent communities​

r/soylent Rules​

Remember the human

Limited Self-Promotion

No cross-promotion or threadjacking

No Direct Sales

Moderators​

Message the mods
u/thapol
DIY
u/SparklingLimeade
u/_ilovetofu_
u/english06
u/MelloRed
View All Moderators

helpReddit AppReddit coinsReddit premiumReddit gifts
aboutcareerspressadvertise

FamilyGuy1999

FamilyGuy1999

Ugly
★★★★★
82d 10h 53m
r/@foidologist

BANG

BANG

Veteran
★★★
4d 7h 45m
Deleted member 28903

Deleted member 28903

Banned
-
89d 10h 6m
@FamilyGuy1999 seethe

epillepsy

epillepsy

plz don't mock me
★★★★★
188d 19h 36m
they named the drink after "soylent green," a sci-fi food source made of human flesh.
veganism --> eating bugs ---> eating humans.

I

Indari

YAAAAAMEEEEROOOOOOO !!!!!
-
116d 23h 40m
they named the drink after "soylent green," a sci-fi food source made of human flesh.
veganism --> eating bugs ---> eating humans.
Q IQ

Deleted member 28903

Deleted member 28903

Banned
-
89d 10h 6m
just remember what i said about cannibalism in a few years' time.
They will probably do lab-grown human flesh tbh. The goyim will eat it because they're soulless materialist utilitarians anyway. I'm pretty sure bugmen could easily be convinced its morally fine to eat an aborted fetus.

epillepsy

epillepsy

plz don't mock me
★★★★★
188d 19h 36m
They will probably do lab-grown human flesh tbh. The goyim will eat it because they're soulless materialist utilitarians anyway. I'm pretty sure bugmen could easily be convinced its morally fine to eat an aborted fetus.
yes, that's what i mean.
already, companies are creating this "meat," who knows where it can go from there.

SneakPower611

SneakPower611

gay niggers
★★★
60d 8h 11m

B

BlackPill Scholar

Sagittalcel
★★★★★
109d 11h 4m
zangano1

zangano1

The truest of cels
★★★★★
71d 15h 56m
Im tempted to try it out

R

Rambocel

Captain
★★★
30d 3h 43m
All soys must die

suigin

suigin

schizoidcel
★★★
23d 12h 48m

Don't do soylent, kids.

Interestingly, he's playing smash on a live stream right now. Only 16 viewers. This guy used to be a world famous speed runner who would bring in tens of thousands of viewers to his streams before he started drinking soylent and becoming a tranny.

Last edited: