Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Meme Reality is inconceivable, so how can it even exist ?

grondilu

grondilu

Overlord
★★★★★
Look at this fantastic meme someone made :

Screenshot 20200921 235039

It's not possible to predict the future, because you would have to predict your own prediction. Your mind would be stuck in a computational loop.

The same argument holds if you want to retrace the past, and also on the basis of time reversal symmetry.

Thus neither the past nor the future can be accurately assessed. They are inconceivable. Yet they are what reality is made of.

And reality does exist, doesn't it ?

What the hell is going on ?

Last edited:
hmmmm

probably seeing the future. that way you know if your move fucks you up

i’m confused

This is because we see time as a thing that exists independently from the universe while it could be only our interpretation of different phases of cosmic movement.

Immagin the universe like an arm stretching from point a (big bang) to point b(end of the universe as we know).If you freeze every particle and even string in existence you have blocked the "arm" an thus "time".

But since you are PART of the arm and NOT something else ON the arm you will be stuck at that very position just like part of the bone of your arm can't move in another section without butchering permanently the arm itself.My theory is a bit messy I know.

My theory is a bit messy I know.

Not at all. It reminds me of Max Tegmark's view of the universe as a bunch of braids stretching and making convoluted knots through spacetime.

Look at this fantastic meme someone made :

View attachment 343221

It's not possible to predict the future, because you would have to predict your own prediction. Your mind would be stuck in a computational loop.

The brain doesn't operate like a classical computer. It doesn't even operate like a quantum computer. It doesn't behave like any kind of turing machine in fact.

The question of how it would deal with such situations is an interesting one, and I don't think that we could realistically simulate it.

The same argument holds if you want to retrace the past, and also on the basis of time reversal symmetry.

Retracing the past is simply a state rewind, given known variables from some point in time. It's still impossible to do, since we would need to know the state of every subatomic particle in the universe to rewind time locally for even one nanosecond (I'm still not 100% on whether or not we would need to know non-local quantum states in order to do this, but the universe is a collection of overlapping entangled spaces), not to mention the immense energy requirements to reverse entropy. Not computationally feasible.

Thus neither the past nor the future can be accurately assessed. They are inconceivable. Yet they are what reality is made of.

What do you mean "accurately assessed"? To what extent is it inconceivable?

And reality does exist, doesn't it ?

Yes.

What the hell is going on ?

Your mind is creating the reality around it and others can share that reality. Everybody else is doing the same.

Your mind is creating the reality around it and others can share that reality. Everybody else is doing the same.

Fascinating theory. If I'm not mistaken it's the main plot device behind the movie "source code'.

I kind of suspected that there was a serious theory behind it, in a way connected to the Many Words Interpretation of Quantum mechanics, but going even further as it connects it with consciousness as a source of branching, if I understand correctly.

A quick search suggests this theory is called "participatory universe", and it was coined by none other than John Wheeler.

Cool stuff, no doubt. I'll have to look into it one day.