Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Programmercels, what programming language should I start with?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2686
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2686

MCTOW
-
I wanna make retro NES/Gameboy video games but I also want a programming langauge that I can learn so that I can have some existing skills for so I can use it for job purposes

Java
  • has C style syntax, which is essentially the latin of programming languages
  • garbage collection, meaning you don't have to concern yourself with memory and only have to focus on putting down your thought process into code, if you wish to go into memory you can learn C or C++ which has the same syntax
  • translates really well into C#, which is essentially the same language with minor differences
  • teaches good habits unlike python and has a good library
  • runs on JVM which is a really rich ecosystem that contains really good languages like Scala

high level like java/python

if you havent coded at all, then practice with the webdev ones (html, css, JS etc)

high level like java/python

if you havent coded at all, then practice with the webdev ones (html, css, JS etc)
DO NOT learn python or JS
these languages have type inference and teach bad habits

these are good when you already have fundamentals in place

I only really use Python - it's versatile and extremely easy
it also forgives a lot of mistakes and doesn't encourage you to get into low-level programming, so I wouldn't recommend it (at least as the first language) unless you just need it for simple scripts or maybe as a planning tool (write the "sketch" of a program in Python and then rewrite in a big-boy language)
I like C, but doing anything complex in it is extremely autistic and not for my attention span

I started with learning C++ as first language because from a performance standpoint is very good and I wanted something powerful.

The suggestions above are also great alternatives, especially Java. My advice is to take your time to try them out and make your decision.

no programming language for ur face

Java
  • has C style syntax, which is essentially the latin of programming languages
  • garbage collection, meaning you don't have to concern yourself with memory and only have to focus on putting down your thought process into code, if you wish to go into memory you can learn C or C++ which has the same syntax
  • translates really well into C#, which is essentially the same language with minor differences
  • teaches good habits unlike python and has a good library
  • runs on JVM which is a really rich ecosystem that contains really good languages like Scala
How hard would it be for someone to learn Java, having no background in programming? Can you just use youtube videos to teach yourself?

How hard would it be for someone to learn Java, having no background in programming? Can you just use youtube videos to teach yourself?
Depends on how far you want to go. You can teach yourself basics with YouTube videos just fine. But I'd recommend switching to books eventually.
Also it's one of those things that are essentially IQ test, and theres no other way around it, so be warned.

I only know BlueJ and Python, but mostly Python.

I was sent on a digital/creative media course last year and every time I asked that question, the answer was C# plus a database for employability like SQL. Books that were recommended to me were C# in a Nutshell (Albahari), C# in Depth and The Art of Unit Testing, plus The Clean Coder by Bob Martin. These were recommendations from people actually working in the industry.

During my time on that course I realised that programming is a pozzed career choice, so I never did anything with that advice.

Java is the one you're going to want to start with, in my opinion. Most of the reasons have already been posted above.

I only know BlueJ and Python, but mostly Python.
BlueJ isn't a language, you stupid faggot, and I highly doubt you are anywhere near competent in Python.

Java is the one you're going to want to start with, in my opinion. Most of the reasons have already been posted above.

BlueJ isn't a language, you stupid faggot, and I highly doubt you are anywhere near competent in Python.
You dont have to act like a massive assholecel to fellow incels.

Oh yeah I also forgot to mention, I have very little skill in Python, due to the fact that my Computer Science professor rushed during his course teaching Python, so I have little knowledge

Java seems good tbh

Should I go on online free courses however, how do I start? Is there a program to use?
Also it's one of those things that are essentially IQ test, and theres no other way around it, so be warned.
Tbh I assume that means a lot of thinking and problemsolving skills are required, and I know this, but I am just wondering, how would I start

I decide on Java btw

But any other programs I should start with?

Java is alright when starting out and for jobs.
For making games you'll want to find some engines/frameworks/libraries to use probably, and learn the languages those are written in so you can actually use them, probably something in the C family.