Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Programmarcels, how do you build projects from reading documentation and ideas?

Tjaldur

Tjaldur

I'm so sad
★★★
I've been looking through github to search for solution on a problem I have for a project. I look at these developer's repositories and they got incredible and original projects and systems that I could never come up with from scratch. Like I need to look at couple of source codes to build on top of it and construct something that is new. For example let's say I was working for the backend team for spotify, I wouldn't be able build their completely new idea into fruition. I'd be constantly googling and looking at other people's codes to work off on.

I built a AI based Gomoku board game and some OpenGL stuff in C++ to show off on my repository, but I had to look at pre-existing projects on github and a bunch of youtube videos to derive off for my project. I would look at the code to understand it then write it from scratch using memory applying what I had understood. If I don't understand something, I'd go research on it.
How do these guys code this with nothing but an idea? I think I'm just retarded and lack creativity.

Recently I've been learning web3 and solidity so I can build my own DEX but I gotta learn 3 other nig*er languages just to create the website supporting the contract. React.js, html/css is so so bullshit and tedious. And I can't build this from scratch, I'm looking at sources and guides that accomplishes exactly what I'm doing. It's too difficult to come up with that shit on your own.

I was talking to an alumni who created a web3/ethereum based project for his final year. And he said he worked on ipfs and a iot nft marketplace and he did it from just reading documentation. Wtf I could never do that.

It probably explains why I couldn't get any internships and got shit scores on the application exams. One of my classmate has nothing but a shitty portfolio website with their shitty console programs, got a good score on the exams and managed to get a summer internship. I've been rejected by ~30 companies, 0 interviews.

:feelscry:

Last edited:
Creativity often comes in a problem you want a solution for, or something that it will come in handy. Think about what you do in your computer and if there's an aspect that can be improved. I also have shitty ideas, want to do something like imdb for lightnovels, not cause it dosnt exists but cause i like it too.

Also would like to do a portfolio manager with all of my cryptos and see how much money i lost/made over the years, my ideas suck and i'm currently stuck doing a fucking Simon says. But whatever i already knew i didnt have the brain to compete with the really good programmers, just by being above mediocrity i can accept it at this point.

You made me remember i made a web-scrapper just by looking at documentation, i think watching tutorials on youtube kills your problem-solving abilities to an extent. You should just watch them if you're stuck or want to know how to start

I write simple python scripts, some golang templating and html

Am I a programmer yet? :smonk::smonk:

No need to compare yourself to those guys.

They work on the same kind of problem for years and years and years using 2-3 languages. So they already know all the libraries and functions/methods in those languages.
They studied all the design patterns 1000 over already and deal with the same stuff day in and day out.

And you Johny come late with just a few weeks experience in that area want to compete with those people?

It takes years, decades, to get good at everything.

but I had to look at pre-existing projects on github and a bunch of youtube videos to derive off for my project. I would look at the code to understand it then write it from scratch using memory applying what I had understood. If I don't understand something, I'd go research on it.

That's exactly how to do it when you're learning. Take an existing project or follow a tutorial to get a basic web service working, then keep modifying it and add new features that you want. A new endpoint to do this, a new UI page to utilize it. Step by step you can build up a big system.

Also would like to do a portfolio manager with all of my cryptos and see how much money i lost/made over the years
That’s what I’m doing, not sure if it’s a good enough project tbh

That’s what I’m doing, not sure if it’s a good enough project tbh
Yeah, it's good enough. You'll have to make it pretty tho, and do clean code. Usually doing your ideas is better than just randomly following a yt tutorial and not understakd anything afterwards

Yeah, it's good enough. You'll have to make it pretty tho, and do clean code. Usually doing your ideas is better than just randomly following a yt tutorial and not understakd anything afterwards
:feelsaww:
I watched a tutorial on how to create a yelp clone which helped

I think it's pretty common NOT to build programs entirely from scratch. Now granted, I am a software engineer by trade, but I shouldn't be, because I suck at it and don't know anything, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But, I think it's common practice to use engines and other modules and structures that are already built, and then build whatever unique, individual programming solution you want on top of all that. Just make sure you credit the original source of whatever you use, and make sure you're allowed to use it. I.e., some source code can only be used for individual projects, for example, and not for commercial use, so you can use (and credit) them for your own shit, but don't use that stuff in anything you're working on at work. That sort of thing.

And when it comes to showing anyone your portfolio, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly acceptable to just point out the parts that you've borrowed from others, to indicate that it's not yours, and then shift attention and go into great detail on the specific parts of the project that you contributed to.

Also, a lot of those people whose projects you're looking at have been at it for years, decades, possibly since they were kids. It's a true, blue passion for them and has been nearly their entire lives, so of course they're going to make it look easy. As with all things, passion and practice will make perfect.

he did it from just reading documentation.
I would also like to point out that some people operate differently than others. I'd like to share an anecdote I overheard at work a while back: some people can play musical instruments and just pick up and play music they like by listening to it, identifying keys, and going from there, but they can't read sheet music for shit. And yet others, like myself for example, can read sheet music like nothing else, but would be entirely useless if handed a music file, told to listen to it, and then just play it by ear. I'd be floundering.

Point is, if documentation is your thing, you just have to learn how to do it. If not, just find an alternative way, a more comfortable way, to ease in and learn to program.

Like others have said, it's rare to build something entirely from scratch. You're nearly always going to be using existing code to build from. This could be open source skeleton code all the way to proprietary software. There are plenty of tools, scripts, libraries, and modular code blocks that are available precisely so that you DON[ICODE][ICODE][/ICODE][/ICODE]'T have to build new things from scratch. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Plan out your project and see what tools you need. The guys who read only the documentation and they're good to go usually have the most of the project's structure figured out in their heads.:feelsokman: