Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Theory Proactive people vs reactive people

Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★
I was thinking about this a little earlier. How some people are more proactive and some people are more reactive. I think very few people are just not active at all. I think that mostly only happens if someone is depressed or something like that.

Most people... they either MAKE things happen (proactive) or they WAIT for things to happen (reactive).

Neither is bad. They're just different ways of being.

I think women can get away with either really.

For men... back when society was nicer to men being reactive was probably alright. But these days... society is quite hard on men and so when you're in that reactive group you can just feel no real encouragement to do anything and no-one wants to help you or not much.

For me I almost go into a low energy mode when nothing seems to be happening around me. I don't own THAT much stuff... I don't do very much, I don't spend much money. I just... exist. And then if something happens, I am in a good position to react to it.

But... in this society as a man you kind of have to make things happen yourself.

That's all really. I just wanted to share that and to hear your opinions about it :)

Proactive is everything. The main one being you invest as soon as you can and as much as you can.

I would rather relapse than prolapse

Most people... they either MAKE things happen (proactive) or they WAIT for things to happen (reactive).

Neither is bad. They're just different ways of being.
Yeah, tell that to the female counselor I had in college, she went off on me once talking trash about me right to my face for being a reactive person. :feelsUgh: And this was a special needs counselor, wtf (on account of the fact I have diagnosed autism).

Yeah, tell that to the female counselor I had in college, she went off on me once talking trash about me right to my face for being a reactive person. :feelsUgh: And this was a special needs counselor, wtf (on account of the fact I have diagnosed autism).

I think people mistake it for laziness or general inactivity.

But surely most of those people WOULD do things if opportunities came along.

Like how especially in times gone by men would have been taught how to take over the family business by their father. Some kind of trade. Let's say a blacksmith :)

And I think many men would be perfectly happy doing that because they really don't mind as long as they have a role, they put food on the table, and everything ticks along nicely.

Not everyone needs a million different options, hardly any assistance, and then a world where most of those options won't actually work out anyway.

Also yeah counsellors can be bad. Personally I tend to avoid them and just try to solve my own problems or talk to friends and family.

at least 90% of us here would be reactive or not active at all

I think people mistake it for laziness or general inactivity.

But surely most of those people WOULD do things if opportunities came along.

Like how especially in times gone by men would have been taught how to take over the family business by their father. Some kind of trade. Let's say a blacksmith :)

And I think many men would be perfectly happy doing that because they really don't mind as long as they have a role, they put food on the table, and everything ticks along nicely.

Not everyone needs a million different options, hardly any assistance, and then a world where most of those options won't actually work out anyway.

Also yeah counsellors can be bad. Personally I tend to avoid them and just try to solve my own problems or talk to friends and family.
Yeah, and I certainly do seize opportunities that do come along, but the problem is opportunities for anything rarely ever come for me, and I don't think other people realize that. Probably because of the Just World fallacy, yet again. It seems to be a very common culprit.

Yeah, and I certainly do seize opportunities that do come along, but the problem is opportunities for anything rarely ever come for me, and I don't think other people realize that. Probably because of the Just World fallacy, yet again. It seems to be a very common culprit.

Agreed. I never like it when people who have more opportunities in life (such as women) pretend that it was something they did that made this happen. Like they accomplished something or have it all figured out. When really they were just born that way.

That being said, I do think most people notice at least on a subconscious level that different people have different levels of opportunity, even if they might not admit to it.

Last edited: