Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting Present perfect tense in the english language

S

SA incel life

Banned
-
I have been obsessing with this tense for the past few weeks (i just used the present perfect continous tense just nowlol). This tense is so fucking tricky.

Whats the difference between"i have played tennis" and "i played tennis" and "i have played tennis for five years". "He had a car for six years" VS "he has had a car for six years" its a tense thats hard to pin down, like how to pindown a fly. This tense is associated with the "have/has" verbs. And past participle verbs. I dont know what are past partiples exactly yet!!?

I have been obsessing with this tense for the past few weeks (i just used the present perfect continous tense just nowlol). This tense is so fucking tricky.

Whats the difference between"i have played tennis" and "i played tennis" and "i have played tennis for five years". "He had a car for six years" VS "he has had a car for six years" its a tense thats hard to pin down, like how to pindown a fly. This tense is associated with the "have/has" verbs. And past participle verbs. I dont know what are past partiples exactly yet!!?
learning english = cope

The Present Perfect Tense is a present tense, it tells us something about the present. Like, the pizza right now in the present is gone because "I have eaten all of the pizza." The simple past, however, simply indicates a past habit or an action already completed. Strictly speaking, you MUST use past tense whenever a time indicator is given. Like, once "yesterday" or "five years ago" is used, you must use past tense, not present perfect.

Fuck English. It’s overly complicated.

Always preferred math tbh.

future perfect example: I will have walked the dog by tomorrow
Who would even say that?

what are u talkinga bout its so easy man

The Present Perfect Tense is a present tense, it tells us something about the present. Like, the pizza right now in the present is gone because "I have eaten all of the pizza." The simple past, however, simply indicates a past habit or an action already completed. Strictly speaking, you MUST use past tense whenever a time indicator is given. Like, once "yesterday" or "five years ago" is used, you must use past tense, not present perfect.
Yeah time indicaters are connected to present perfect tenses like "i have worked her for two years" or i have played tennis for five years" the "have/has" with the past participle with the time indicater conveys that the action beg

Fuck English. It’s overly complicated.

Always preferred math tbh.
math is lifefuel. Studying languages are mostly for people who can't accept their intellectual inferiority yet want to do something brainy anyways. Same goes for virtually every nonSTEM "academic" field

future perfect example: I will have walked the dog by tomorrow
Who would even say that?
yes theres some occasions where this can be very useful

Facts and specifics use the simple past:

Examples: "The man landed on the moon in 1969", "I was in the US in September 1999"

Non-time specific stuff use the present perfect:

Examples: "He has done it some time ago", "I have done a lot of travelling back when I was young".

But in practice, both are mutually usable.