Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment [Poll] Do you have Visual Snow/Static Syndrome (VSS)?

Do you have Visual Snow/Static Syndrome (VSS)?

• Total voters
GoffSystemQB

GoffSystemQB

Nefarious Dark Overlord of I.N.C.E.L. aka mod
-
Please read before answering because many people that have this don't understand or realize for quite some time that they have it.

This is inspired by @FinnCel as he made a thread prior asking if he people had it and I noticed in the responses that a lot of people said they did. That could just be selection bias, but I'm interested to know what the numbers are.

Visual Snow/Static Syndrome is something that causes a person to see tiny flickering dots like snow or static in their vision usually most noticeable at night. Even if you don't notice in the day you still have it if you see it at night. For a long time I thought this was very normal and I only realized it wasn't when I had asked people that I knew in real-life and no of them had any idea what I was talking about.

Here's a simulation you can play around with to see what it looks like. I would say below is what mine looks like most of the time during the name maybe a little more severe. Obviously a lot more prevalent at night. .

ezgif-6-f8b3faa42795.gif

This is what it looks like at night:

ezgif-6-ec8d2f0e7bb2.gif

Some other symptoms that associated with VSS are:
- photophobia: sensitivity to light​
- palinopsia: continuing to see an image after it is no longer in field of image. Basically seeing afterimages​
- nyctalopia: impaired night vision​
- entoptic phenomena: seeing images from within the eye itself such as seeing small floating objects or flashes of light​
- migraines​
- depersonalization: feeling detached from themselves or the world around them​
- anxiety/depression.​
I think the "depersonalization" being a symptom is rather quite interesting. You can read more below on it:

Although some people may not know they have this is supposedly one of the most rare diseases in the world by the numbers of those who know they have it at least. It's extremely rare and people have no idea what causes it. Some people posit it's caused by drug use and things of the sort (never did drugs tbh).

I'm going to tag some people and notable members on the forum just because I'm interesting in their answers sorry if this constitutes a mass tag:
@Personalityinkwell @LiterallyASoyboy @BlkPillPres @IncelKing @Colvin76 @mental_out @Wizard32 @Atavistic Autist @SergeantIncel @Ropemaxx @mylifeistrash @gymletethnicel

Last edited:
tbh not really

Yeah it's really obvious at night, or looking at dark surfaces, although my visual snow doesn't really bother me. I also have pretty severe myopia, and that obviously affects my vision more.
- photophobia: sensitivity to light- palinopsia: continuing to see an image after it is no longer in field of image. Basically seeing afterimages- nyctalopia: impaired night vision- entoptic phenomena: seeing images from within the eye itself such as seeing small floating objects or flashes of light- migraines- depersonalization: feeling detached from themselves or the world around them- anxiety/depression.
I have all of those to varying degrees aside from migraines jfl, although I do get normal headaches frequently.

I see some black dots flickering if I get up too quickly tbh, but apart from that I don't think so.

Forgot to tag @FrailPaleStaleMale I know I was talking about this with you a while back.

hm. I've noticed an effect really similar to this before. but it's more like a very slight blur over everything than 'static'. like nothing is crystal clear

Yeah it's really obvious at night, or looking at dark surfaces, although my visual snow doesn't really bother me. I also have pretty severe myopia, and that obviously affects my vision more.

I have all of those to varying degrees aside from migraines jfl, although I do get normal headaches frequently.
Same it doesn't bother me either. At least not noticeably so. I used to get migraines when I was a kid/teen and see auras along with at as well. Luckily I've moved passed that.

At night when I move my arm in front of my eyes I see afterimages as well.

I also have pretty severe myopia.

it won't let me load 2nd pic
will try and look for sparkles tonight I guess

Please read before answering because many people that have this don't understand or realize for quite some time that they have it.

This is inspired by @FinnCel as he made a thread prior asking if he people had it and I noticed in the responses that a lot of people said they did. That could just be selection bias, but I'm interested to know what the numbers are.

Visual Snow/Static Syndrome is something that causes a person to see tiny flickering dots like snow or static in their vision usually most noticeable at night. Even if you don't notice in the day you still have it if you see it at night. For a long time I thought this was very normal and I only realized it wasn't when I had asked people that I knew in real-life and no of them had any idea what I was talking about.

Here's a simulation you can play around with to see what it looks like. I would say below is what mine looks like most of the time during the name maybe a little more severe. Obviously a lot more prevalent at night. .

ezgif-6-f8b3faa42795.gif

ezgif-6-ec8d2f0e7bb2.gif

- palinopsia: continuing to see an image after it is no longer in field of image. Basically seeing afterimages​
- entoptic phenomena: seeing images from within the eye itself such as seeing small floating objects or flashes of light​
- migraines​
- anxiety/depression.​
I think the "depersonalization" being a symptom is rather quite interesting. You can read more below on it:

Although some people may not know they have this is supposedly one of the most rare diseases in the world by the numbers of those who know they have it at least. It's extremely rare and people have no idea what causes it. Some people posit it's caused by drug use and things of the sort (never did drugs tbh).

I'm going to tag some people and notable members on the forum just because I'm interesting in their answers sorry if this constitutes a mass tag:
@Personalityinkwell @LiterallyASoyboy @BlkPillPres @IncelKing @Colvin76 @mental_out @Wizard32 @Atavistic Autist @SergeantIncel @Ropemaxx @mylifeistrash @gymletethnicel

Have never even heard of this before. I have great vision, tbh.

Sometimes I do have auditory hallucinations.

Same it doesn't bother me either. At least not noticeably so. I used to get migraines when I was a kid/teen and see auras along with at as well. Luckily I've moved passed that.

At night when I move my arm in front of my eyes I see afterimages as well.

I also have pretty severe myopia.
I've had it for as long as I can remember, and it was completely normal to me until I randomly noticed the pixels present in eyesight one day. Then I realized that it must not be normal. People tend not to question the experiences which they've always had.

One thing is I'm not sure that all of the associated symptoms I have are related to visual snow. I mean the floaters I've had present since I was a teenager might be related to myopia, given that it can change the interior of your eye as your eye increases in length, leading to floaters. Also the dissociative stuff is probably at least half my own fault tbh.

looks like a fuzzy TB, I don't think I remember stuff looking that way, unless I'm super sleep-deprived perhaps

looks like a fuzzy TB, I don't think I remember stuff looking that way, unless I'm super sleep-deprived perhaps
It could be less severe than that and you would still have it. From what I gather must people have perfectly clear vision with no visual artifacts at all. Most were even mystified when I tried to describe it.

Wtf i thought everyone has see the same thing.
Nope,

@FastBananaCEO since he has it as well.

and what do you do about ?
Nothing, unless it's seriously impairing you. Sometimes they prescribe anti-seizure medication to try to curb the effects, but there is no fix I'm pretty sure. They don't even understand what it is at all.

Does it affect performance in sport ?
Not sure really. I think if you don't notice that much it doesn't affect you that much. Maybe it affects your visual attention span.

WTF I THOUGHT EVERYONE HAD THIS

Hm, the symptoms are experienced by everyone at some point; say you wake up too quickly and stand up, your field fills with static. Or, you look at an image for 20 seconds then look away, it will stay in your field of view for a while.
But all the time? If it's suddenly completely dark I believe I experience it but I think that's just how humans work, your brain tries to fill in the darkness. I'm not sure honestly.
Yeah, it's constant for me. Try looking at the sky or something like that during the day. It might help you better see it, but it's always there for me.

For awhile I thought it was only at night, but then I realized it was always there during the day as well.

You are talking about tracers innit. I thought It was bad eyesight

I have it lightly, but during all the day not only at night. If I concentrate on something it becomes very strong though but maybe that's just how this.

Personally I have a lot more problems with auditory allucinations during night, reaching even "extreme" levels like screams or loud white noises

Ye Ive had it all my life.

Could it b a superhuman senses ting. I dunno if that correlates. I also have really really good hearing, smelling and seeing.

I can see from really far a away and see detailed stuff other ppl can't see. Like when I used to have frens they would always say dat I have good vision. It's probs cuz of my mesut ozil eyes tbh.

Smelling e.g. b that yestarday I could smell something smelly I asked my parents what it was they could only smell it when they were in the kitchen I could smell it in me bedroom

With hearing i can hear what ppl sayin rlly far away. Also I have this thing where I don't like the sound of ppl eatin. It makes me pissed off and makes others pissed of cuz of me. I always have to leave the room or complain or wear headphones when ppl r eating or whispering or sniffing or stuff like dat. It's annoying having this tho cuz normie culture have found out about this and now there's a word for it and all of a sudden apparently loads of ppl say they have it the same way loads of normies say they are 'depressed' and have all these labels for attention to make them different

It's like I'm the ultimate prey. Good senses, skinny, subhuman prey face, prey eyes, rlly fast and good stamina, was the best at track athletics in my school.

Last edited:

ezgif-6-f8b3faa42795.gif

ezgif-6-ec8d2f0e7bb2.gif

- migraines​
- anxiety/depression.​

yes but it's going away as my vitamin D levels go back to normal

Mine is pretty bad actually.
I can barely see anything clearly
Wtf i thought everyone has see the same thing.
No man, most people see world without it (chads and women can enjoy their lives).
Visual snow is legit incel trait

so you call the flying water thingies you see, entoptic phenomena ?
didn't know it had a name

You might be seeing bions...

No I don’t have it

Does it count if you see flickering when you close your eyes? Because I think this is normal.

Now looking at it, Yes i have it, when i look at a black wall i don't see a clear wall, i see static on it

Does it count if you see flickering when you close your eyes? Because I think this is normal.
I don't think so. Just when your eyes are open.

no, this looks like some shit i only see if i wake up or get up too fast

I think I see something similar with my left eye but it's probably just bad sight

Yep, I acquired it from doing lots of LSD and Shrooms, and soon going to do DMT

I barely undestood your explanation but I think no.

no i luckily dont have this syndrome

Yes, but its only really noticeable at night.

I don't have it, though I do have a lot of those symptoms, but they're probably caused by other shit.
I wanna say probably not. Though I do get it when I close my eyes, too, but that's the only time.

Nah, I suck with the sun and have chronic migraines, but no static.

I honestly thought this was normal too. It's extremely prevalent at night. When I take off my glasses to go to the restroom at like 3 am, the visual snow is even worse. It becomes massive, blurred blobs. Sometimes I run into stupid shit because the visual snow literally blinds me.

Whatever palinopsia is too, sounds like I have that. Also get vertigo from really bright, specifically florescent lights.

Last edited:
I honestly thought this was normal too. It's extremely prevalent at night. When I take off my glasses to go to the restroom at like 3 am, the visual snow is even worse. It becomes massive, blurred blobs. Sometimes I run into stupid shit because the visual snow literally blinds me.
wtf why did you change your avi?

wtf why did you change your avi?
I realized I use the exact same picture and similar ones on other sites, I don't want people to find me out tbh.