Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Physical perspective changes

i_a_m_i

i_a_m_i

Banned
-
A few months ago, I looked at my hands and I did not think that they were my hands. They had no belonging to me; they just as well could have been someone else's or no one's hands. I had the vague feeling as well that the rest of my body belonged no less to me or to anyone else than did my hands, but, I think, because I could not see most of the rest of my body, I did not perceive that it existed, and so I did not notice a discrepancy between how it should be perceived and how I actually perceived it. Then I looked at the walls of my bedroom and noticed the edges and corners where the walls met, and I realized I was in a box under a different name. I could not get the edginess and boxiness of the room out of my mind, and I thought that if I went outside I would perceive the borders of the sky, too, as the boundary of a box, and, therefore, I didn't want to and I was afraid to go outside. However, when I looked out my window (out of curiosity), I saw that the sky had no obvious edges like those of my room, and I was not so bothered by it.

A few weeks after the aforementioned event, I looked at my laptop's screen, which was displaying anime, and I saw it as a window into another world. It was real and separate from this world. The borders of the screen were apparent. I was overwhelmed with emotion when I realized this- or when my perspective changed so I could see things this way. It felt like my hand would go straight into that world if I just moved my hand toward it- through the screen, as though the screen were an interdimensional portal. I wanted to put my hand through the monitor, but I was nervous about doing that. This illusion or new perspective may have shattered if my experience- the hand being stopped by the material of the display- contradicted my feelings about how things would be if I had done them. For some reason, I found this difficult to explain. When I looked at the screen, I could both see and not see it as another world.

These experiences, though I found them somewhat disorienting, felt real. They lasted only a short while, and were certainly different from what is normal to me, but nothing was fundamentally "wrong" about them. They illustrate, in my opinion, the fact that reality and selfhood are phenomenal models: simulations of the brain. All conscious experience is a virtual reality. Similar to a playable character in a video game, whose model is controlled by the player to interact with the surrounding environment, your brain creates a model of reality and within this model places its model of yourself. Consciousness is an evolved process. In theory, conscious experience could have evolved or could be created in an entirely different way- think about aliens or AI. The things we experience as "real" are really only processes occurring in the brain, evolved over millions of years, that proved to be useful to our survival.

Thomas Metzinger, in his book, "The Ego Tunnel", says:

Thomas Metzinger said:
The conscious brain is a biological machine—a reality engine—that purports to tell us what exists and what doesn’t. It is unsettling to discover that there are no colors out there in front of your eyes. The apricot-pink of the setting sun is not a property of the evening sky; it is a property of the internal model of the evening sky, a model created by your brain. The evening sky is colorless. The world is not inhabited by colored objects at all. It is just as your physics teacher in high school told you: Out there, in front of your eyes, there is just an ocean of electromagnetic radiation, a wild and raging mixture of different wavelengths. Most of them are invisible to you and can never become part of your conscious model of reality. What is really happening is that the visual system in your brain is drilling a tunnel through this inconceivably rich physical environment and in the process is painting the tunnel walls in various shades of color. Phenomenal color. Appearance. For your conscious eyes only.

Still, this is only the beginning. There is no clean one-to-one mapping of consciously experienced colors to physical properties “out there.” Many different mixtures of wavelengths can cause the same sensation of apricot-pink (scientists call these mixtures metamers). It is interesting to note how the perceived colors of objects stay relatively constant under varying conditions of illumination. An apple, for instance, looks green to us at midday, when the main illumination is white sunlight, and also at sunset, when the main illumination is red with a lot of yellow. Subjective color constancy is a fantastic feature of human color perception, a major neurocomputational achievement. On the other hand, you can consciously experience the same physical property, say, the hot kitchen stove in front of you, as two different conscious qualities. You can experience it as the sensation of warmth and as the sensation of glowing red, as something you feel on your skin and as something you project into a space in front of your eyes.

Nor must your eyes be open to enjoy color experience. Obviously, you can also dream of an apricot-pink evening sky, or you can hallucinate one. Or you can enjoy an even more dramatic color experience under the influence of a hallucinogenic drug, while staring into the void behind your closed eyelids. Converging data from modern consciousness research show that what is common to all possible conscious sensations of apricot-pink is not so much the existence of an object “out there” as a highly specific pattern of activation in your brain. In principle, you could have this experience without eyes, and you could even have it as a disembodied brain in a vat. What makes you so sure you are not in a vat right now, while you’re reading this book? How can you prove that the book in your hand—or your hand itself, for that matter—really exists? (In philosophy, we call this game epistemology—the theory of knowledge. We have been playing it for centuries.)

Conscious experience, as such, is an internal affair. Whatever else may or may not be true about consciousness, once all the internal properties of your nervous system are set, all the properties of your conscious experience—its subjective content and the way it feels to you—are fully determined. By “internal” I mean not only spatial but also temporal internality—whatever is taking place right now, at this very moment. As soon as certain properties of your brain are fixed, everything you are experiencing at this very moment is also fixed.

pretty bizarre experience
but it was an interesting read
reminded me of this mirror scene from Donnie Darko
Tenor 27

I wish I had these kind of experiences
I can't think of anything remotely strange ever happening to me

i can somewhat relate to that second event
were u on any drugs during this?

How long have you been inside

pretty bizarre experience
but it was an interesting read
reminded me of this mirror scene from Donnie Darko
View attachment 238400
I wish I had these kind of experiences
I can't think of anything remotely strange ever happening to me
Yeah, they can be interesting. I think I'd be happier if I were more NT, but I would also probably have less of an intuition about certain things.
i can somewhat relate to that second event
were u on any drugs during this?
No man.
How long have you been inside
Not that long. I usually go outside a few times a week.

That first part of your thread reads like something, LiterallyASoyboy would have written, when he used to talk about his experiences with depersonalisation, ngl.

i had similar expierences after lsd and smoking weed
pretty weird and can mess up your brain watch out bro reality as we perceive it can get pretty insane for example i believe i live in a dream and i'm in a comedy movie probably schizophrenia but whatever

There's a pretty good chance that we're existing in a complex computer simulation run by an ultra-advanced alien civilization in another reality in which they would cipher the power away from an ultrmassive hyperenergetic celestial body via a construct such as a Tyson sphere.

In the end existentialism is kind of a logical void of speculation, nobody knows anything. It's beyond us.

Were you sober when this happened

When you really think about it, nothing makes sense:feelsokman:
:feelsLSD:

This is really interesting and a bit of lifefuel.

I've had similar experiences where a random thought causes you to stop feeling immersed in your own life, and you suddenly become aware of things in a strangely objective way that doesn't feel normal. It's weird.

I've had similar experiences where a random thought causes you to stop feeling immersed in your own life, and you suddenly become aware of things in a strangely objective way that doesn't feel normal. It's weird.

This always happens to me either when I wake up in the middle of the night or after I wake up from an afternoon nap.

My pain feels real

That first part of your thread reads like something, LiterallyASoyboy would have written, when he used to talk about his experiences with depersonalisation, ngl.
Do you have these traits too?

Ye I think u need to stop taking lsd this is getting out of hand now

Yea for instance, after I wake up I spend an awful long time pondering about varying irrelevant topics before I get out of my bed. It's like I'm not really present there spiritually and mentally.

The same thing with hands happened to me a few days ago, like I was playing a video game or something it was weird af like I was a passenger or some shit.

Last edited:
didn't read tbh :dab:

interesting thread ngl. I can kind of relate but kind of can't.

there are occasionally moments where you become 'aware' that you are a form of expressive life in the physical universe, rather than just something existing in it passively. and everything feels all trippy and existential for a moment. like "wow there's an entire universe here made of cells and chemicals that I can interact with". it's hard to describe, wonder what actually causes it.

I had not read about this author, i will look for more about him

Did u skip the part where you smoked dmt?