Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Philosophy of Pessimism (True Detective)

StoicNihilist

StoicNihilist

"You'll do this again, time is a flat circle..."
-

"I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, this accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing. Walk hand in hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

I tell myself I bear witness, but the real answer is that it's obviously my programming. And I lack the constitution for suicide."

- Detective Rust Cohle, 'True Detective'

___

This show is absolutely amazing. If you haven't watched it what are you doing man, go see for yourself. You'll binge watch it after the first episode.

Also what are your thoughts on the philosophies of Pessimism and Nihilism? Depressing ideologies of that nature?

Most people find them to be almost crippling if you dwell on them for too long. But I find great comfort in the idea that none of this really matters. We live, we laugh, we love, we cry, we suffer, we endure pain, and eventually we die. And when that happens? That's it, the shows over. And all of your life experiences will have been for nothing.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but that idea sounds way better than an afterlife for me.

Last edited:
I've never watched this show, but yeah philosophical pessimism is pretty difficult to argue against, also that quote is essentially paraphrasing Zapffe's "The Last Messiah". If you're interested in this sort of content, I'd recommend that you read it.

Nihilism is liberating

Done to death, now you have a generation of reddit numales acting like this, im a pessimist like the guys on tv you guys:soy::soy:, but i still respect women and work my cubicle job, it's called adulting

Done to death, now you have a generation of reddit numales acting like this, im a pessimist like the guys on tv you guys:soy::soy:, but i still respect women and work my cubicle job, it's called adulting