Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment [Philosophical] Would you use the Star Trek transporter?

Would you enter it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tesla

Tesla

Fallen Angel
★★
The transporter works by turning your body into energy (dematerialization) and remaking it in the designated landing spot, like this:
S15p.gif

So, tell whether you would enter if it was real, and also REASON for the decision.

Last edited:
Yes I would get rich smuggling drugs

I wouldn't enter it at first, I would try to put some animals there and see if it worked.

If it did, then why not? And probably sell it later

Do you think you would be the same person with the same values after rematerializing? That's something everyone who answers should consider.
Well it worked in star trek. I guess I would like to more on the long term effects of it

Do you think you would be the same person with the same values after rematerializing? That's something everyone who answers should consider.
Literally the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about these. I think it was in some documentry on quantum physics. Difficult question

That was a needed plot device so their character doesn't break. But in real life, what would make it 'work'? Why do you think it would work?
It scans every detail of your molecular build and uses nuclear energy to break it down and shoot it to the pinpointed destination and then the computer rebuilds your molecular structure with it’s connection through the nuclear energy

It scans every detail of your molecular build and uses nuclear energy to break it down and shoot it to the pinpointed destination and then the computer rebuilds your molecular structure with it’s connection through the nuclear energy
The question to which it all boils down is: do you think your self would be preserved? Your explanation on a molecular level simbolizes you think it is, but because the molecules recreated are identical to the original, meaning you define existence as molecular structures.

Ship of Theseus or swamp man paradox. Also op you’d be damned if this didn’t get commercialized almost instantly

Ship of Theseus or swamp man paradox. Also op you’d be damned if this didn’t get commercialized almost instantly
Yes, I know. But those paradoxes have an answer, unlike your lack of response implies.

The question to which it all boils down is: do you think your self would be preserved? Your explanation on a molecular level simbolizes you think it is, but because the molecules recreated are identical to the original, meaning you define existence as molecular structures.
I think it would be the same molecules from you originally either teleported or shot at the speed of light in some weird condensed form and then rebuilt to your original molecular form from a communication you still have with the computer of the device when you get to your destination. Of course I would test on animals first and see if there’s long term effects

Depends entirely on its applied success rate with other people. :feelsjuice: