Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Our lives should be dedicated to preparing ourselves for loss

• Thread starter Deleted member 8353
  • Start date
Deleted member 8353

Deleted member 8353

Former Hikikomori, Aimless Pleasure Seeker
-
Our bodies constantly take away our contentment, forcing us to fulfill a condition in order to have it temporarily return. As time passes we lose moments which we'll never get back again. Our friends grow apart from us, the people we care about die. As we age, we might lose some of our senses, or even our memories and mind. Eventually we'll experience the final loss, as we're forced to endure the process of dying.

If you try to make an honest assessment of human life, you might come to the realization that our particular version of conscious awareness can be mostly, if not entirely defined by the perception and measurement of loss. Whether fully aware of it or not, people spend their entire lives trying desperately to prevent and mitigate all forms of suffering. From working to be able to afford food and a place to live, to achieving financial security, to trying to find a sexual partner, pretty much everything we work towards is done in an effort to avoid what follows from failing to achieve it. As I've posted about before, pleasure is largely a perception of negative value reduction. Given the right conditions, even physical pain can be pleasurable if the suffering it relieves is greater than the pain response it produces (think about what happens when you punch a wall).

Upon accepting all of this, I think it follows that preparing ourselves emotionally for suffering and loss is probably the most important thing that any of us can do. The more accepting you can be of your present and future suffering, the less it should be capable of harming you. This doesn't mean that you have to "man up", or simply force yourself to take whatever comes regardless of how bad it is, as suicide is always an option. What I'm saying is that outside of killing ourselves to prevent it, there are countless times when we're forced to experience things being taken away from us, and the more willing you are to let things go, the easier it will be on you.

For instance, I have eye problems which could potentially cause me to lose a lot of my vision in the future, possibly before I intend to kill myself. So due to this, one of the things I try to accept is that I might not have complete access to all of my current copes forever. Speaking of suicide, another thing I've essentially already accepted is that I'm going to die eventually. The way I see it is that if I live in such a way as to prepare myself for death, then the dying won't be as bad.

I try to exercise the same everyday. It's hard but it's better to be prepared.

This reads like a loss meme but I agree.
Still, I don't think actively coping through things I enjoy, like shitposting and good food, are avoiding pain, but rather increasing the positive.
In general, I do agree that most people actively enjoy avoiding negatives more than gaining positives hence the "expectation better than reality" memes etc.

This reads like a loss meme but I agree.
Still, I don't think actively coping through things I enjoy, like shitposting and good food, are avoiding pain, but rather increasing the positive.
In general, I do agree that most people actively enjoy avoiding negatives more than gaining positives hence the "expectation better than reality" memes etc.
For one thing I could argue that appreciation for art might be an independent positive, as it doesn't fit neatly into being a method of suffering avoidance or prevention. Hobbies and copes in general though are probably some combination of both negative value reduction, and channeling suffering into creating or enjoying something positive.

High iq post tbh

True, tbh. Unfortunately tho, i and i would assume most other people on here aswell, were taught the exact opposite. That life is a fairytale, and that we live in a just world, that gives us way more than it takes. No wonder most of us grow bitter, and cynical once we find out that we have been lied to for most of our lives. And that in reality life is nothing but a series of dissapointments.

I always lose, so it's nothing new or unsual to me.

True, tbh. Unfortunately tho, i and i would assume most other people on here aswell, were taught the exact opposite. That life is a fairytale, and that we live in a just world, that gives us way more than it takes. No wonder most of us grow bitter, and cynical once we find out that we have been lied to for most of our lives. And that in reality life is nothing but a series of dissapointments.
I don't feel any resentment towards the people who lied to me in this way, mostly because they were surely told the same lies as children, and they probably still believed them. None of this stuff is easy to accept, even if I'd argue that we're eventually better off for it. However I do feel pretty frustrated a lot of the time, I often wonder why I've been forced to experience this pointless perception of loss. Sometimes it helps to remember our lives could always get worse, and due this along with other reasons, it's good to try and be content with our current lives.

I have nothing to lose anyway.

Whether fully aware of it or not, people spend their entire lives trying desperately to prevent and mitigate all forms of suffering.
This often strikes me too. Basically a large portion of society is just designed around cope. The things we do to get pleasure are really meant to distract us from the existential void surrounding our very being.
As I've posted about before, pleasure is largely a perception of negative value reduction.
Not only that: we're designed to always be dissatisfied with our situation. I have never met anyone ever who had absolutely zero wishes or wants left. When you gain what you want, new things appear. There's always negative value. It's just part of us.
Upon accepting all of this, I think it follows that preparing ourselves emotionally for suffering and loss is probably the most important thing that any of us can do.
Tbh. Take the stoicpill.

The best thing that could possibly happen for any of us is to die quickly without knowing the end is coming for us and experiencing no fear or pain in the process.

death is the liberation from a life which has more pain and suffering than pleasure and enjoyment.
Suicide is only a waste of life if that life had any value to begin with.

Not only that: we're designed to always be dissatisfied with our situation. I have never met anyone ever who had absolutely zero wishes or wants left. When you gain what you want, new things appear. There's always negative value. It's just part of us.
That's why pursuing your desires is actually counterproductive for most people, every time you get whatever it is that you believed that you wanted, the satisfaction disappears about as quickly as it arrived and the goalpost is moved. This leads to more dissatisfaction rather than less.
death is the liberation from a life which has more pain and suffering than pleasure and enjoyment.
Suicide is only a waste of life if that life had any value to begin with.
Honestly I don't believe that there is a single human alive whose life is a net positive. Sure people like Chads have lives far better than mine, but at the end of the day they're pursuing imposed needs rather than creating value. It's better to never desire anything in the first place than have to go about satisfying the desire, of course not being able to satisfy your desires is worse than both, so my approach is just trying to reduce them.