Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

[Opinion] "Free Will" Does Not Exist. The "Will" is Already Constrained by its connection to Several Preconditions

ResidentHell

ResidentHell

Officer
★★★★★
“Free will”, is the supposed power or capacity of humans to make decisions or perform actions, independently of any prior event or state of the universe

Four reasons why free will doesn’t exist:

1. Biological fatalism - The human is hardwired to survive and reproduce. The will of humans is automatically constrained by this biological predisposition to some degree​

2. Genetic and environmental determinism – The life experiences of two organisms of the same species can vary depending on their genetic traits, morphological characteristics (e.g., biological sex, sexual dimorphism, facial and body bone structure, health condition of internal organs), and whether they have certain genetic or neurological disorders. Environmental and evolutionary factors can also influence life experiences of an organism, e.g., some “incels” today wouldn’t have been incels if they were born in a different country or different era, where society was less gynocentric, or where safe birth control & welfare state didn’t exist​

3. Free will theorem (Conway and Cohen, 2006) – If humans have free will, then so must some elementary particles. This doesn’t necessarily challenge the existence of free will. It only proves that other physical substances must have free will if humans have free will, which can easily come across as absurd when you consider these other physical substances can be microscopic​
4. The will is necessarily constrained by having a previous knowledge of something – It Is impossible to desire something that you do not know about; you cannot want something if you don’t know what it is. You must first discover the thing that can be desired, and only after you discover it, then the desire is trigged and directed at the thing which one can desire. The existence of a will depends on a prior knowledge of existence. You cannot want something that you haven’t discovered in thought or in the external world. This also implies the “will” can be steered or swayed by some other entity who has the power to selectively reveal or hide internal or external data from the subject that experiences this “will”​

A “free will” apologetic might counter-argue with the suggestion, “If free will doesn’t exist, why don’t you do X, or why don’t you do Y?”. But this is a misnomer, because a response to this statement wouldn’t support the anti-thesis that “free will” exists. The key aspect of the concept of “free will” is that it has to do with FREEDOM. If the “will” is constrained, it means “free will” cannot exist. As already stated, the “will” of humans is constrained by biological predisposition, which includes the “will” to SURVIVE (i.e., not trying to commit suicide, not trying to create hazards to physical health). If anything, I think committing suicide is an indicator of “free will”; I believe people who commit suicide are more likely to have a “free will”, than people who instead hold onto life

The issue is that some people seem to have “will” mixed up with “predisposition”. It seems what they don’t realize, is that some “decisions” are not “made”; it’s about the cognitive process that is required to reach a decision, which seems to rely on the neural network of the human brain. For example, if a male exits their apartment and says, “I want to breed a woman by the end of today”, this “decision” already exists as a possibility. It is already a possibility for men and women to breed, and it’s already a part of the biological program for men and women to breed. Therefore the “decision to breed” itself is not crafted as a product that is independent of the event or process by which it is discovered; it’s only admitted as a consequence of a specific thought process as regarding the man having a previous knowledge of its biological capacities and its biological predisposition (to breed or survive)

The male is already hardwired to breed due to biological programming. So if a male desires sex, it’s likely just his brain tricking him into fulfilling its biological function while under the hallucination that it is his own independent “will” to breed. If the man were to be dehumanized in some way, (e.g., castrated, transformed into a full cyborg and his brain is the only organic matter that remains), how can the man be sure his “will to breed” was truly a “free will”, if he cannot retain this “will” under drastically different conditions of his bodily or worldly existence? It’s very improbable that he will, since he would no longer be human, and most non-human creatures do not appear to express any particular desire to breed humans

IMO most humans are not agents; they either have no “will”, or they have a “will” but it’s heavily constrained by biological, societal and environmental factors. Their mentalities, their beliefs and their desires are shaped and confined by the cultures and environment in which they are socialized. At best, a very small minority of humans have something that can be described as matching the idea of an “unconstrained will”

TLDR: Free will practically doesn't exist. Most humans either have a "will" that's constrained, or they have no "will" at all (they are organic NPCs)

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Just because the will is constrained within a particular light-cone of potential possibility doesn't mean it is not free within that window of constraint. Consciousness and life itself would not exist without constraints governing self-organization over thermodynamic processes. The complexity of life requires a balance between chaotic entropy and self-organization.

Just because the will is constrained within a particular light-cone of potential possibility doesn't mean it is not free within that window of constraint
My original point stands. I cited the definition of "free will" at the first sentence of OP, "...to make decisions or perform actions, independently of any prior state of the universe". As already explained, there are several preliminary factors that constrain the "will". Therefore, "free will" as defined in OP, doesn't exist

Consciousness and life itself would not exist without constraints governing self-organization over thermodynamic processes. The complexity of life requires a balance between chaotic entropy and self-organization.
Prove that consciousness wouldn't exist without "constraints governing self-organization over thermodynamic process". Maybe you could explain what kind of "constraints" govern "self-organization" over "thermodynamic processes"?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the complexity of life". But if I assume it "requires a balance between chaotic entropy and self-organization", maybe you could provide an explanation of why life cannot be "complex" without this balance between entropy and self-organization

Also my 3rd point, the free will theorem by Conway and Cohen: "If humans have free will, then so do some elementary particles". Now I'll say, "elementary particles are just as conscious as humans. Therefore, elementary particles are just as capable of moral and ethical reasoning as humans". If you deny this, it would imply your views are bigoted

Why is thy profile private, I intended to read more of your work.

The reason your "free will" doesn't exist is due to its definition. If you define freedom in a classical Christian sense, then freedom is the flourishing of a thing into what it was designed to be. So, a human is most free when it doesn't sin, because humans were made not to sin (according to the Christians). A seed is "free" if it can develop into a flower.

Of course we aren't free according to yourr stat definition. If free will is "supposed power or capacity of humans to make decisions or perform actions, independently of any prior event oe of the universe," then of course it can't exist, since all of us are embedded in a socio-historical and linguistic moment within time. This means that we can only imagine what our language and culture allows us to imagine. So, given your definition, we aren't "free."

Also, suicide is a rational choice for a subject that perceives it that way. So, given your definition of free will, even the choice to commit suicide is predetermined by biological, social, physiological structures in the brain that make a subject depressed/suicidal.

I think it follows trivially that we don't have free will in your definition. The way these debates go (determinism/freedom, etc.) is very much influenced by how you define the most basic terms. So, while I think we have free will, I don't subscribe to your definition of it.

then it was my destiny to say
nigger

The reason your "free will" doesn't exist is due to its definition. If you define freedom in a classical Christian sense, then freedom is the flourishing of a thing into what it was designed to be. So, a human is most free when it doesn't sin, because humans were made not to sin (according to the Christians). A seed is "free" if it can develop into a flower.

Of course we aren't free according to yourr stat definition. If free will is "supposed power or capacity of humans to make decisions or perform actions, independently of any prior event oe of the universe," then of course it can't exist, since all of us are embedded in a socio-historical and linguistic moment within time. This means that we can only imagine what our language and culture allows us to imagine. So, given your definition, we aren't "free."

Also, suicide is a rational choice for a subject that perceives it that way. So, given your definition of free will, even the choice to commit suicide is predetermined by biological, social, physiological structures in the brain that make a subject depressed/suicidal.

I think it follows trivially that we don't have free will in your definition. The way these debates go (determinism/freedom, etc.) is very much influenced by how you define the most basic terms. So, while I think we have free will, I don't subscribe to your definition of it.
Fair enough, although I did not make up this definition of “free will”. It was the definition that I found on Encyclopedia Britannica

Why is thy profile private, I intended to read more of your work.
I have unprivatized it now