Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Obi Wan Kenobi

L

Lonely

Self-banned
-
Thoughts on the TV show Obi Wan Kenobi?

never gonna watch

Episode 1 was, apart from the goons in the forest chase scene, quite nice. McGregor carries the show and puts so much heart in it, it's just great to see.

By episode 3 I was getting confused. Characters appeared and disappeared without any meaningful substance, and the inquisition just had Reva being angry and ambitious and then some other characters who might as well have been background game NPCs for all their depth. I don't expect every character to be well written, but it seemed at this point that the series only had 3 characters who actually had... Anything.

Episode 4 was just a filler. It could have been cut completely, and it would have made no difference. The only addition to the plot it gave was the sabotage of the droid, but with the amount of hand waving in this show, I'm sure they could have figured out another way to temporarily malfunction the launchpad doors in episode 5. This entire episode seemed like it was slapped together at the last minute. And my god, the interrogation scene. I'm sure the implication of torturing a child should have been frightening, but it appeared just comical. As if Jack Bauer started to interrogating a 6 year old terrorist.

5 could have been okay with just a bit more effort. We get a lot of scenes with the completely forgettable cast (literally can't remember any name and I just finished it), which should have been cut to add some explanation to the deeply weird plot here. Reva is standing before the door, slooowly whittling away at it with the cannon. I can deal with that, sure. Then she just cuts it open like paper because she gets angry again. Sure. Then we get a good bit of background story and the potential twist, which started to redeem the episode for me... But we don't really get any payoff. I'm not even sure what the intention was here. Did she decide to follow through with it, and allow Obi Wan to escape? If so, why keep him under guard separately and wait outside? Why not guard him herself in the tunnel? So I assume she decides against it and actually keep him prisoner, which makes his escape quite anticlimactic... But then she changes her mind and just comes charging in AFTER vader has dealt with any distractions? And after all that, the grand inquisitor is just back alive for whatever reason (could have just used gravelly voiced mushroom sith to give that bit of dialogue as far as I'm concerned, but ah well), they "kill" Reva but... She's not, with no explanation given. Would it have been that difficult to just add a simple scene where she, badly wounded, crawls to the bacta tank which was already nearby? And then have her find Obi Wan's communication dongle there? Would have actually made sense, because he viewed the message at the bacta tank and would have logically attempted to get rid of it/destroy it there. But no.

At this point, I just stopped caring. The flashbacks were nice. The Star destroyer not being capable of destroying a single little mining ship, I can ignore. The Vader fight was cool visually... But the dialogue was again just lazy writing. A few small generic soundbites was really all they could come up with for these characters? And then it ends with Obi Wan inexplicably reaching max level all of a sudden? Just... Lazy.

And then he just senses Luke falling, conveniently hyper drives back to Tatooine in what we must assume to be about 10 minutes, to 'resolve' the non-plot of Reva deciding, for no discernable reason, to go kill that kid she just found out about. But she didn't because she redeemed herself from becoming like Anakin, which was not at all what her story arc was heading towards. This entire part was just slapped on there in what seemed to me like another filler.

Should definitely have been a movie. Cut out most of the inquisition and replace with Vader and Reva, remove all of episode 4, most of 3 (Why let Vader even meet Obi Wan there?), shorten 5 and 2, and kill Reva instead of having her develop a sudden child-killing urge.

I'd rate it about 3 / 10. This and the Rise of Skywalker are making me stop my habit of immediately watching anything star wars on release. Please, Disney: Stop skimping on the script. Hire good writers. Don't write by committee or whatever this was.