Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Nintendo Switch (OLED) VS Steam Deck

Which would you buy?

• Nintendo Switch OLED

• Steam Deck

Results are only viewable after voting.
Restart80

Restart80

Mythic
★★
I despise Nintendo for being so cheap with this new model. A nicer screen? What use is that when docked? Only decent thing is a LAN port to avoid the shitty wireless internet. Either way, I never owned a Nintendo Switch because I had no money until recently.

Steam Deck is like the Nintendo Switch PRO that everybody wanted. I have a good inclination to get it instead.

Pros:
-Emulation (including Switch games)
-Powerful for its price, especially considering the cost of graphics cards right now
-Very mobile, to bring elsewhere, and there will be a dock for it

Cons:
-Unknown how good it will truly be until people start using it
-Difficult to acquire one for awhile

On the other hand, with the Nintendo Switch OLED...

Pros:
-All 1st party Nintendo games (the only reason to buy it) will run flawlessly
-Online play will function

Cons:
-More expensive in the long run (expensive games)
-More restrictive (difficult to hack, and will not be nearly as powerful at emulation)

Last edited:

Pros:

Brutal no replies pill bhai sorry, honestly just get valve shit and emulate, the switch is an emulator itself for older nintedon't consoles.
Jfl don't feel bad for him, nigga joined a month ago. If anything he deserves it :feelsjuice:

False choice. If you're interested in both, you'll get both.

if u have a good PC, get switch otherwise steam

A good PC will emulate NSW with ease
It does but it has many problems too. Some games run very bad in switch emualtor rn. You will also spend time debugging and testing shit to make it run

They you should stick to what you have and not waste any money on toys

Except I've had fuck all for years of University. Finally have an income, and needed to catch up as my friends each own one and I didn't.

Doesn't matter as I already bought the Switch, this thread is pretty outdated. So "what I have" now amounts to a refurbished $500 PC and a Switch, with an old TV. Still haven't spent anywhere near as much as any of my friends on random shit lol.

With the Steam Deck I'll probably just wait and see awhile after it releases, if it's worthwhile at all.

Fucking consoomers

The Nintendo 3DS and the Wii were the last GOOD consoles they unintentionally produced (both can be homebrewed and support emulation).

But, my trusty Game Boy Advance SP mogs them all.

It does but it has many problems too. Some games run very bad in switch emualtor rn. You will also spend time debugging and testing shit to make it run
I'm just salty because I'd be happy with emulating a few worthwhile games here and there. Investing in an entire system stings, especially when emulation is THIS GOOD early on.

I'm just salty because I'd be happy with emulating a few worthwhile games here and there. Investing in an entire system stings, especially when emulation is THIS GOOD early on.

I've actually been doing the emulation thing for older games for a long time now, like since 2013 or so. I actually used my Nintendo Wii as a portable emulation machine for several years, but I have become a little bit tired of always relying on emulators. I started looking into a Switch emulator a bit before buying the Switch, and I saw that the minimum graphics card is a GT 1030, which I do happen to have, but that's the minimum. In addition to the other potential issues with Switch emulation, I really didn't want to have to bother this time around. And, I do meet with friends to play games, so being able to easily move my Switch is a selling point as well. With two Switches, you can even play splitscreen multiplayer without splitting the TV in four (only realized this after I got it JFL).

I'd never waste money on a Playstation or X-Box system though, these days. PC has everything else of importance covered.

Last edited:
Ouchie, my condolences

Yes, particularly brutal with the graphics card shortage. Actually, I had no graphics card at all in the refurbished prebuilt PC my mom bought me in 2019. I bought the GT 1030 for about $150 CAD, after the shortage started.

On the flip side, I had a GT 710 that I ripped out of my old PC from many years prior that I managed to get rid of for $60 CAD, also due to the shortage. JFL.

it looks like the SteamDeck has a dock but it's sold separately not built in like the Switch/SwitchOLED (the "switch lite" lacks dock so it's not even a switch...)

as of 1 June 2022 apparently there are delays in releasing it https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3328736287857025157

apparently there are some non-official options but I don't know what support is like for them https://www.gamesradar.com/best-steam-deck-dock/

I despise Nintendo for being so cheap with this new model. A nicer screen? What use is that when docked?
It isn't, but the portability is a big draw of getting this thing to me, so I'm glad I waited until now to buy a Switch so I can get the OLED instead of the original LCD trash.

Only decent thing is a LAN port to avoid the shitty wireless internet.
Didn't even know about this, good to know I suppose.

Steam Deck is like the Nintendo Switch PRO that everybody wanted. I have a good inclination to get it instead.
Pros:
-Emulation (including Switch games)
How do you play steam games on the steamdeck though? I need a tutorial here...

you running something like RetroArch on your SteamDeck?

-Powerful for its price, especially considering the cost of graphics cards right now
how do graphics cards compare? I'm low-IQ at this shit, all I understand is the switch has a 1280x720 pixel res, Steam is slightly better at 1280x800 (80 pixels taller) though not sure how often that'd come into play considering usual design ratios

-Very mobile, to bring elsewhere, and there will be a dock for it
Cons:
-Unknown how good it will truly be until people start using it
-Difficult to acquire one for awhile
maybe I'll look into getting one of these too but I already just purchased the OLED :(

the cheapest the SteamDeck seems to come is 500 for the smallest 64gb capacity, I managed to find an open-box OLED on sale for 400 and it came with a Game and Watch too

OLEDwatch

the built-in games are minimal (SMB and the true SMB2 later called Lost Levels, plus 'Ball') but it looked fun for nostalgia plus I've heard you can hack it and install other NES games or even Doom

should be a fun project

Pros:
-All 1st party Nintendo games (the only reason to buy it) will run flawlessly
is 2nd bullet because SteamDeck lacks a LAN port?

Cons:
-More expensive in the long run (expensive games)
-More restrictive (difficult to hack, and will not be nearly as powerful at emulation)
tbh I'm probably just going to play the free MMOs which don't require any purchase like Paladins/etc they'd probably take up the majority of the 64GB of memory anyway

not going to bother buying games until I've used that, I mostly just want something I can take abroad isntead of being locked in my PC room

I can't go backsides on my purchase but I'll admit one draw of the higher-end SteamDecks is the higher storage capacity for multiple gaming options, jumping from 64 to either 256 or 512 sounds pretty nice, especially since you're also moving from eMMC to SSD which AFAIK is faster

I need something now so I can play in cooler rooms throughout hot summer and SteamDeck isn't available until October 2022, might rope from insanity if I wait that long

Last edited: