Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

naval warfare

nausea

nausea

Fesikh
★★★★★
ITT we shall talk about this thing

from ancient times to modern and even futuristic ones

@WormGear your experience is precious

ok, I will spin this

latest

the rn admiral vessel

ss_8c5baf80646c4bcd41c5ba23556ff7d23efa806f.1920x1080.jpg

jap

Battle_of_Lepanto_1595-1605_Andrea_Vicentino.jpg

lepanto

@ironcrusher38 lol

Been working on traditional sailing ships for the better part of 3 years now, worked with boats most of my life. Naval warfare has always been an interest of mine.

Currently working on a replica of an American blockade runner from the War of 1812

WormGear said:
Been working on traditional sailing ships for the better part of 3 years now, worked with boats most of my life. Naval warfare has always been an interest of mine.
Currently working on a replica of an American blockade runner from the War of 1812
yes it's superinteresting, when you feel like it I wanna know your experience

nausea said:
yes it's superinteresting, when you feel like it I wanna know your experience

tbh it's an interesting gig.  We all live on the ship full-time, even in port.  We have a captain, chief mate, second mate (who is also chief engineer), bosun, cook, and five able seamen (myself included).  There are currently two women in the crew: our bosun, who is dating the second mate, and a deckhand who has a boyfriend back home but is in an open relationship, meaning she's off the ship usually one or two nights a week with some random Tinder match.  From an inceldom perspective it's not a bad place to work...most of the guys in this industry, even the stereotypically chaddish types, are single because we all live a pretty rootless existence.  Being a single guy and not dating/trying to date is not seen as weird or unusual, and in fact very little conversation revolves around women/dating/sex etc. 

The work is hard and the days are long; not much has changed in the last 200 years.  In port, our routine is usually to spend about an hour cleaning the ship after breakfast (this includes washing the deck and cleaning "soles and bowls", meaning belowdecks compartments and toilets); then we open for dockside tours and break into maintenance projects.  If it's a normal weekday maintenance continues all day; projects can range from painting to splicing rope to laying aloft to work on a rigging project.  Usually chief mate gives you a short list of stuff he wants you to get done that day, then you fuck off and do it.  It's pretty relaxing as you're usually working by yourself and you can listen to music, podcasts etc while you work.  On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays we go sailing in the afternoon.  We take paying passengers out on two-hour sails, give a short talk on the history of the ship, and fire our cannons.  It takes about half an hour to prepare the ship to sail, and about an hour to clean up after we dock and disembark passengers.

At sea, when we're on transit, we have 4/8 watches (four hours on watch, eight hours off).  When you're on watch you are usually on with 1-2 other ABs and a watch officer (either the captain or a mate depending on what watch you're in).  One person stands lookout/runs the deck while the other is at the helm, with the WO down below at the nav station monitoring AIS traffic, weather etc.  Every hour on the hour you switch out the helmsman/lookout and a boat check is conducted - this consists of sounding the bilges, cycling the generators, checking battery levels, inspecting the engine (if it's running, which it rarely is outside of canals or tight harbors), and marking the ship's position on the chart.  During your eight off hours you can do whatever you want, although you still have to lay up on deck if there is an all-hands call.  

The ship is currently in Tampa Bay, where she'll be stationed until late March.  Then she goes to Galveston where she'll compete in a race to Pensacola, then she backtracks to New Orleans for a festival.  She'll return to Tampa for a few days to provision and refit, then she'll start sailing north to Massachusetts.

WormGear said:
tbh it's an interesting gig.  We all live on the ship full-time, even in port.  We have a captain, chief mate, second mate (who is also chief engineer), bosun, cook, and five able seamen (myself included).  There are currently two women in the crew: our bosun, who is dating the second mate, and a deckhand who has a boyfriend back home but is in an open relationship, meaning she's off the ship usually one or two nights a week with some random Tinder match.  From an inceldom perspective it's not a bad place to work...most of the guys in this industry, even the stereotypically chaddish types, are single because we all live a pretty rootless existence.  Being a single guy and not dating/trying to date is not seen as weird or unusual, and in fact very little conversation revolves around women/dating/sex etc. 

The work is hard and the days are long; not much has changed in the last 200 years.  In port, our routine is usually to spend about an hour cleaning the ship after breakfast (this includes washing the deck and cleaning "soles and bowls", meaning belowdecks compartments and toilets); then we open for dockside tours and break into maintenance projects.  If it's a normal weekday maintenance continues all day; projects can range from painting to splicing rope to laying aloft to work on a rigging project.  Usually chief mate gives you a short list of stuff he wants you to get done that day, then you fuck off and do it.  It's pretty relaxing as you're usually working by yourself and you can listen to music, podcasts etc while you work.  On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays we go sailing in the afternoon.  We take paying passengers out on two-hour sails, give a short talk on the history of the ship, and fire our cannons.  It takes about half an hour to prepare the ship to sail, and about an hour to clean up after we dock and disembark passengers.

At sea, when we're on transit, we have 4/8 watches (four hours on watch, eight hours off).  When you're on watch you are usually on with 1-2 other ABs and a watch officer (either the captain or a mate depending on what watch you're in).  One person stands lookout/runs the deck while the other is at the helm, with the WO down below at the nav station monitoring AIS traffic, weather etc.  Every hour on the hour you switch out the helmsman/lookout and a boat check is conducted - this consists of sounding the bilges, cycling the generators, checking battery levels, inspecting the engine (if it's running, which it rarely is outside of canals or tight harbors), and marking the ship's position on the chart.  During your eight off hours you can do whatever you want, although you still have to lay up on deck if there is an all-hands call.  

The ship is currently in Tampa Bay, where she'll be stationed until late March.  Then she goes to Galveston where she'll compete in a race to Pensacola, then she backtracks to New Orleans for a festival.  She'll return to Tampa for a few days to provision and refit, then she'll start sailing north to Massachusetts.

happy to have met you fellow mariner

you mentioned somewhere else it is a historical replica of some vessel, any detail you can share?

apart from usa, do you sail also somewhere else? open ocean maybe? some historical location?

I got tons of questions eh

take in mind I am mediterranean so no ocean

also, you actually do not deal with explosives, right?

I am interested especially in the warfare thing here but obviously also the sea experience you have ( I have mine )

nausea said:
happy to have met you fellow mariner

you mentioned somewhere else it is a historical replica of some vessel, any detail you can share?

apart from usa, do you sail also somewhere else? open ocean maybe? some historical location?

I got tons of questions eh

take in mind I am mediterranean so no ocean

also, you actually do not deal with explosives, right?

I am interested especially in the warfare thing here but obviously also the sea experience you have ( I have mine )

Her name is the Lynx; she's a foretopsail schooner, a replica of a ship by the same name that served as a blockade runner during the American War of 1812.

She sails all up and down the US East Coast, and she usually stays on the open ocean because she's way too big for most inland waterways.  In the summer she cruises out of Nantucket MA and in the winters out of Tampa/Saint Petersburg FL.  She spends fall and spring traveling.

She's been all around the Caribbean; as far as I know she's been to Mexico, Cuba, Bermuda, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Trinidad and Tobago, and Martinique.  She's also been on the Great Lakes at least once, meaning she's probably crossed into Canadian waters at some point.

We do deal with explosives, and I was recently made master gunner meaning I oversee the gun battery on board.  We have four six-pounder carronades and four half-pounder swivel guns; we fire the six-pounders almost every time we go out.  We have a magazine with roughly 25 pounds of gunpowder on board at any given time.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

WormGear said:
schooner,
ah it's small then
WormGear said:
She's been all around the Caribbean; as far as I know she's been to Mexico, Cuba, Bermuda, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Trinidad and Tobago, and Martinique.  She's also been on the Great Lakes at least once, meaning she's probably crossed into Canadian waters at some point.
and you were on board?
WormGear said:
We do deal with explosives, and I was recently made master gunner meaning I oversee the gun battery on board.  We have four six-pounder carronades and four half-pounder swivel guns; we fire the six-pounders almost every time we go out.  We have a magazine with roughly 25 pounds of gunpowder on board at any given time.

how is it like to deal with such guns? can you tell me more about this? like carronade vs other guns and the likes, reload times etc

I like very much this stuff

nausea said:
ah it's small then
and you were on board?

how is it like to deal with such guns? can you tell me more about this? like carronade vs other guns and the likes, reload times etc

I like very much this stuff

>ah it's small then

About 40 meters

>and you were on board?

I've been on board for four months.  I sailed with her from Massachusetts down to Florida but I haven't left the US on her yet.  

>how is it like to deal with such guns? can you tell me more about this? like carronade vs other guns and the likes, reload times etc

It's a lot of fun, and of course very loud.  Carronades are shorter than normal cannons, but are usually thicker and can handle bigger charges.  This creates a gun that is extremely powerful at close range but is not accurate at great distances.  They're mostly seen on smaller, lighter ships that fight using hit-and-run tactics rather than engaging in line battles.  Also, as Lynx was a blockade runner and not strictly a warship, most of the fighting she was expected to do would be defensive, meaning she didn't need long guns which could project force at long range.  

We usually fire blanks, although the guns can fire live ammunition and we do carry shot on board (about forty cannonballs last I checked).  The carriages are a bit different too - instead of the traditional four-wheeled carriage, the guns slide out of their ports on a greased track, and they can be swiveled about 45 degrees laterally using tackle lines meaning they can aim better than a gun on a wheeled carriage.  The tackle lines are on a 4-1 purchase system, so usually one strong guy can run out/aim the gun by himself.

To load the gun, first we swab the gun and worm it (a worm is a tool that looks like a corkscrew and is designed to fish the remnants of fired charges out of the barrel.  Then the powder charge is loaded in - about 8 ounces of black powder wrapped in a bag (this is called a rolled charge, versus a loose charge where the powder is just dumped in).  This is rammed down with a ramrod, along with wadding (either paper, cotton, or a ball of stale bread) to create a pressure seal.  If we were firing a live round, we would also ram in a ball (or canister shot, or whatever projectile we were firing).  The gunner announces "gun is loaded", and the gunnery officer calls back "prick and prime".  The gunner takes a prick, which is a thin spike about ten inches long, and jabs it into the charge through the primer (a small hole in the top of the gun's barrel).  This creates a hole into which a fuse or priming charge can be inserted.

To prime the gun, the gunner then takes a fuse about the same length as the prick and inserts it into the primer hole and down into the charge.  He then announces "ready to fire"; the gunnery officer then calls back "fire", the fuse is lit, and the gun is fired.  Upon firing the gunner is ordered to either reload or stand down.  

We've gotten our reload time to 55 seconds, which is pretty standard for a well-trained gunnery crew.  Royal Navy crews could reload in 45 seconds in controlled conditions, although most other navies at the time averaged about 60-90 seconds.

@WormGear

do you have any picture of the ship? just to have an idea

do you plan to continue working as a mariner ( on this ship or wherever else )?

and why did you choose to do such work? sea love?

as a replica, is it also a museum ship? like even in the internal ambients?

any pic of the guns? especially carronades

shall we share sea stories here or in some other thread?

nausea said:
@WormGear

do you have any picture of the ship? just to have an idea

do you plan to continue working as a mariner ( on this ship or wherever else )?

and why did you choose to do such work? sea love?

as a replica, is it also a museum ship? like even in the internal ambients?

any pic of the guns? especially carronades

shall we share sea stories here or in some other thread?

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]>do you have any picture of the ship? just to have an idea[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Im on my phone right now and it won't let me add images. But if you search "tall ship lynx" on Google you'll find her. Black hull with white caprail and black gun doors, two raked masts, square foretopsail. In most pics she has a grey Zodiac speedboat hipper on her starboard midships.
[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]>do you plan to continue working as a mariner ( on this ship or wherever else )?[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'd like to eventually get my captain's license and either work a harbor launch or crew port-to-port deliveries.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]>and why did you choose to do such work? sea love?[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I've been around boats all my life, and its sort of in my blood. My dad was a sailor and he taught me everything he knew starting when I was very young; his dad was also a sailor, and his dad, and his, and so on back to the 1600s. Its practically genetic at this point.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]>as a replica, is it also a museum ship? like even in the internal ambients?[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Belowdecks she's a bit more modern; watertight bulkheads, electric lights, toilets, refrigeration etc. Everything from the deck up is period accurate though.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]>any pic of the guns? especially carronades[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'll try to get some tomorrow [/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]>shall we share sea stories here or in some other thread?[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Lets share them here! What do you do?[/font]

@WormGear your above post is distorted, do you see?

nausea said:
@WormGear your above post is distorted, do you see?

I do see, sorry. Ill edit later. Can you read it still?

Anyway, here's one of our guns

https://imgur.com/a/HLjMt

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CV1tvMYFRs[/video]

crank out the hoes with the waifu battleshits

@IronMike yea, what do you think?

@WormGear I am seaborn