Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Cope Language Fact: Pro-drop languages

Do you speak a pro-drop language?

• Total voters
FinnCel

FinnCel

Alcoholcel
★★★★★
It is short for pronoun drop langauge.
English is a non pro-drop language.

In English, you always have to specify the subject of the sentence.
It rains

What is this "it" you are referring to? It is embedded in English grammar.

In Finnish, Spanish, Japanese, you can drop the words for "I, you he, we, y'all, they". In Japanese, you know the person doing the action based on the context but Spanish And Finnish have verbs that morph based on the person doing the action.

Mennä (to go)
Minä menen = I go
Sinä menet = you go
Hän menee = He/she goes
Me menemme = we go
Te menette = y'all go
He menevät = they go
Mennään = (in passive) go

It is completely unnecessary to say the pronouns in Finnish. Saying the pronoun just makes it sound more formal (at least to my ears).
So instead of saying "Minä menen kauppaan (I'll go to shop)", I can drop the "minä" and just say "menen kauppaan (I'll go to shop)"
Oh, and Finnish nouns also modify to show its grammatical relationsip to other words. So no seperate words like "to", "from", "at" in Finnish because it is always part of the word.

So in Finnish, to say "it rains", you say "sataa (literally 'rains')".

What pro-drop langauge do you speak?

Last edited:
your-autism-level-has-increased-32139750.png

15K !!!

yes, I speak spanish. Its over for non pro-drop language speakers tbh

in finland they say PERKELE XXD GAYYYY

I don't, but always been interested in the structure of languages/linguistics.

where did you learn most of this stuff from?

Congratulations for 15K posts bro.

Anyway, unrelated to this topic but does the Finnish language have retroflex consonant?

Yes, bro. I speak a pro-drop language.

Anyway, unrelated to this topic but does the Finnish language have retroflex consonant?
No, we don't.
Finnish phonology is really simple.
It is easy to speak it without opening your mouth much when it is cold.

Yes, bro. I speak a pro-drop language.
What language?
where did you learn most of this stuff from?
Reading shit like Wikipedia and watching shitton of langauge videos. Reading books about linguistics, etc.
And also just noticing differences when learning other languages

Interesting. Never knew that climate influences language too.

No, we don't.
Finnish phonology is really simple.

What language?

Reading shit like Wikipedia and watching shitton of langauge videos. Reading books about linguistics, etc.
And also just noticing differences when learning other languages
Portuguese.
Have you ever read about Ludwig Wittgenstein ? If no, I recommend looking at his works, since you are interested in language.

Bulgarian is a non-drop language

Yup. Portuguese is pro-drop. "It rains" in Portuguese is just "chove" which means "rains".

• No, bro
    Votes:

Learn 2000 most common words, you'll be surprised how much you'll start understanding
Ye. That's what I'm doing now, I have an Anki deck with the most used 2500 or so words and I'm just going through it

I'm learning Japanese. I'm still slaving away in the Anki salt mines but I'm about a week away from finishing Core2K and another month from working through the Joyo kanji (I use the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course for this). I've done 10 new words and 12 kanji every day for the past 6 months. I do a bit of reading and listening immersion each day, but I'll really step things up when I'm done with the Anki decks.

I don't want to live in Japan or even do a Zesto, I'm just sick of shit translations by discord trannies. My endgame is to be able to watch/read raws and maybe translate doujin works as a side hustle, but both goals are years away.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back