Venting I've had a lot of shitty therapists who traumatized me. Most of them were white cisallohet women.

Atavistic Autist

Atavistic Autist

Intersectional Black supremacy
★★★★★
213d 21h 34m
Which speaks to how power imbalances and systemic racism are furthered under the current system.

Crisis intervention and harm reduction to prevent death Deescalation volunteers for people approaching crisis Occuptational therapy for disabled folk like me Updated diagnostics so that the racism, ableism, and classism built into the system are not put back in place; and anything else someone in a crisis might need.

People can still be traumatized post-capitalism, and trauma is a gateway for all kinds of hellish experiences, whether it be addiction, abuse, or generational abuse. And those people will still need help.

Don't get me wrong here. I am absolutely pro-abolishment. I'm anti-prison, anti-police, and anti-institutionalization. I do not want a system put back in place that could institutionalize folk for opening up about their mental health in the way our current one does. I'm with Mad Pride. We have to right the wrongs that are still done each and every day.

But the kind of open-mindedness and self-acceptance sometimes does have to be facilitated for someone via the instruction of others. In my case, it's not that simple. I can't unlearn generational trauma on my own. I can't just DIY my way out of a decade of unhealthy behaviours and self-perception by leaning on my friends.

You're lucky to have friends you can talk to, but some of the things that have happened to me are just too fucked to entrust a friend to listen to. Not just for my own safety and privacy, but for the emotional well-being of my friends and those I love. It's simply not healthy nor respectful of their boundaries to turn my friends into therapists. That would mess them up.

Like, I have nearly experienced psychosis. I near constantly experience paranoia as part of being mentally ill. My friend had a psychotic episode earlier this year. That kind of brain shit that us folk on the queer radical left push to normalize and normalize with medication? It's because like... Sometimes you have to take Risperidone or else the voices can turn you violent towards yourself or others, not from some case of "being psychotic makes you evil" but because stress and trauma fucks with you until you snap, the same it does with any other human being.

Medication has to be consensual and it has to come with informed consent. But antianxiety meds and antipsychotics when done right have their place. It's like saying that physical health medications aren't needed post-capitalism. Some of this is just a case of first aid. You can't leave it untreated.

We normalize medication and mental health because we don't want to be fired from our jobs because our boss found out we're in treatment for schizophrenia, or kicked out by family who say that medication is a crutch and an addiction and that we just need to accept God's love. Oh, and that last bit, minus the God shit, happened to my best friend. It's a real problem.

Dismantling capitalism means dismantling hierarchies and imbalance of power over the common people. It does not mean complete lack of first aid for everyone, and that includes first aid for those who have mental health issues.

When we say normalize mental health and medication, its not out of wanting to normalize the current system. It's to make life bearable for those of us who are still in the system. Who can't be cured with peer support and self-reflection. You know, the ones the system and sanists call cr*zy. We can't just go away under solely stable living conditions, enough food and money, and safety. I mean, those of us who've been sick since childhood just proves this. Even when we had all the support and safety we needed, we were still sick.

Not all mental health is pathologization forced upon people without their consent.

My partner is undiagnosed with dissociative identity disorder. You know, like they're actually 9 people in a trenchcoat thanks to trauma taking a hammer to their childhood ego state. They don't magically integrate into the person they were before being traumatized, upon the end of capitalism. They still need empathy and help as a system to build healthy communication and coping skills to live a good life. They're an example of people you can't just abandon by saying "look! no more mental institutions! you're free now!"

The current system is evil. No ifs, ands, or buts. But it's our responsibility to make a decentralized one with no hierarchy or power imbalances once we finally get this planet under control after the idealized revolution. So that people can still be cared for.

proudweeb

proudweeb

craving your little sister
★★★★★
10d 9h 4m
Was gonna dotpost but this is honestly pretty good. Should be in lounge tbh

squirrelsonfire2

squirrelsonfire2

Based!
★★★★★
77d 10h 39m
-BrettyBoy-