Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Is Intelligence Genetic?

C

Captvic

Admiral
★★★★
I just failed another test in uni, one that I studied hard for. No matter how hard I try I always fail.

Your intellectual potential is determined from birth, but environment can and does affect intelligence.

its about how ur brains formed which is genetic and hormonal, so yep buddy boyo, it is genetic. there is a cap on literally everything, practice only makes perfect up to a certain point in everything.

Another facet of the brutal genetics pill. Everything from looks to intelligence is influenced primarily by genetics

Are you referring to Gardner's theory?

It depends on both DNA and enviromental factors, however with great effort you can improve your cognitive abilities a lot.  
For starters do daily exercise and eat healthy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982213008440

Maeror said:
Are you referring to Gardner's theory?

It depends on both DNA and enviromental factors, however with great effort you can improve your cognitive abilities a lot.  
For starters do daily exercise and eat healthy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982213008440

'cognitive' so you cannot get good at anything which requires intelligence really, lol

Of course. Our ability to run, jump, and physical traits are genetic, how aren't the processing efficiency of our neurons as well?

Yes, but is also determined by life experience to an extent.

km107 said:
Of course. Our ability to run, jump, and physical traits are genetic, how aren't the processing efficiency of our neurons as well?

Then i invite you to beatiful world of neurogenetics my friend, appease your curiosity.
https://www.journalofneurogenetics.org

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270739/

TripleCel said:
Your intellectual potential is determined from birth, but environment can and does affect intelligence.

This is the right answer, or at least the most current understanding of the role of nature and nurture in the nebulous term that is "intelligence."

This is how this answer is often presented (I recreated this from a lecture slide when I had a similar discussion a few months ago):

q5F8y.png

blickpall said:
This is the right answer, or at least the most current understanding of the role of nature and nurture in the nebulous term that is "intelligence."

This is how this answer is often presented (I recreated this from a lecture slide when I had a similar discussion a few months ago):

q5F8y.png

finally a good image to debunk all the "hard work is everything" shit memers without having to write a wall of text

Captvic said:
I just failed another test in uni, one that I studied hard for. No matter how hard I try I always fail.
No it's environmental.

incelkingkong said:
finally a good image to debunk all the "hard work is everything" shit memers without having to write a wall of text

The thing is, hard work DOES pay off to some degree - but it's hard work that is done by parents, educators, AND the student in question, from a young age until maturity especially. As the (rough) graph shows, a person with moderate genetic fitness and high intellectual stimulation with have "more" intelligence than a person with high genetic fitness and low intellectual stimulation, but if they have low intellectual stimulation, they will have "lower" intelligence than a person with low genetic fitness and high intellectual stimulation.

This shouldn't be confounded with success. There are plenty of trades that can be learned and mastered to an adequate degree with hard work and in spite of a lack of intelligence (to an extent). There are people who are brilliant at their job and get paid well for them despite them being "blue collar." However, you will have to work harder than others to get ahead. This is all to say that hard work is far from everything, but it is certainly still important.

May Allah SWT give wisdom to OP.

Yes, it's all about genes

Yes. Every single trait I received was shit. Sub 5 no reproduce

my father is dumb and probably haven't read a book in his life, my mother is as intelligent as an average woman. And I could read books at age of 5 while my niece doesn't know most of the letters.

I started school a year late, but was still one of the smartest there, as my mother taught me everything up to that point. Socially, I was years behind, naturally. After 5-6 years in the school system and going to a new school, the bullying and negativity got to me and I started skipping school. When it got physical, I always fought back, but I was taken out of school at 14 after a broken nose and so I never took my exams. I passed two years of college, but I still NEETed all but one year of my adult life. The apprenticeship I had in 2015-16 was hard work and I did not enjoy it, apart from earning money. They are trying to push another apprenticeship on me, but all I want now is a local part-time job and I don't want to do classrooms again, so leave me to rot, please.

Akarin said:
my father is dumb and probably haven't read a book in his life, my mother is as intelligent as an average woman. And I could read books at age of 5 while my niece doesn't know most of the letters.
You third world like me?

What school you in?
We had our results around that moment when you created this thread.
Maby we in the same school.. i passed btw