Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

JFL Illusory faces are more likely to be perceived as male than female

InMemoriam

InMemoriam

Celiacel
★★★★★

Significance

Face pareidolia is the phenomenon of perceiving illusory faces in inanimate objects. Here we show that illusory faces engage social perception beyond the detection of a face: they have a perceived age, gender, and emotional expression. Additionally, we report a striking bias in gender perception, with many more illusory faces perceived as male than female. As illusory faces do not have a biological sex, this bias is significant in revealing an asymmetry in our face evaluation system given minimal information. Our result demonstrates that the visual features that are sufficient for face detection are not generally sufficient for the perception of female. Instead, the perception of a nonhuman face as female requires additional features beyond that required for face detection.

Fair enough. I subconsciously think of males as the default gender. I believe most people do too. So if you see a illusory face, your bound to just subconsciously assume it's a male.

Fair enough. I subconsciously think of males as the default gender. I believe most people do too. So if you see a illusory face, your bound to just subconsciously assume it's a male.