Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious I want Fontaine to read this book and comment on how it relates to the incel situation

incel-american

incel-american

Banned
-
@Fontaine

This is the book that made me forgive Stacys, Chads, and society for their treatment of incels, but im too low IQ/lazy to write it up. It made me realize just how much (a lot) of what we are and who we are -- and our actions and decisions -- is involuntary.

https://www.amazon.com/Subliminal-Y...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1534017977&sr=8-2

The audiobook (available at Audible.com) is read by the author, a physicist who, on his spare time, writes books for lay audiences on subjects outside of his specialization.

I always find it difficult to explain exactly what I mean when discussing this issue, but I'll set some things down regardless. Everything is ultimately "involuntary". All behavior is unavoidably deterministic, even if you want to dismiss molecular-level causality as underlying everything. Action and thought are no more "chosen" than looks are. How can anyone be actually be said to be "responsible" for anything? Did you choose to have high or low inhibition? Why does one person make choices better for themselves and another not? What innate qualities determine the kind of choice you will make? There is genotype and there is environment. You are born with something or it is produced within you in a kind of environmental dialectic: your surroundings change you, changing how you respond to your surroundings.

We are all automata, but one cannot live one's life with this idea hanging over them. It is necessary to ascribe blame, to develop an idea of "right", to assert yourself over others. Though you are a machine, it is better to run than break.

This is the book that made me forgive Stacys, Chads, and society for their treatment of incels
Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Too many books to read in my pile already, and I'm not very sympathetic to free will denial because believing you have free will is necessary for nofap and most self-discipline. The human mind needs to believe it has freedom even if it is objectively false

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back