Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

I might infiltrate academia

• Thread starter Deleted member 20659
  • Start date
Deleted member 20659

Deleted member 20659

Banned
-
Im considering enrolling into post colonial studies in uni, its free where I live. I will be able to write postmodern word salads and be respected as an intellectual. Part of the academic inteligentzia

Sounds intellectual to me

Im considering enrolling into post colonial studies in uni, its free where I live. I will be able to write postmodern word salads and be respected as an intellectual. Part of the academic inteligentzia

Or you will write one of those "As a former incel…." posts.

What interests you in postcolonial studies? I take an interest in it, but not serious enough to warrant any kind of study. I already have a postgrad degree in a liberal arts programme, so that's the last thing I wanted to do. I'd think about career prospects with that degree tbh - if you know an additional language to a good degree, it might be worth it.
Sounds intellectual to me
Postmodernists are pseudo-intellectual bullshitters. It really is a nonsense movement in the humanities. Seriously, I'd respect people more if they came out with a degree in Viking studies or Surfing studies than anyone with a degree that specialized in 'postmodern' thought.

Last edited:
I am trying to get into academia as well tbh but as a classical history historian instead. So we are kind of doing the same thing but at the same time kind of the opposite since I am only studying old shit.
I already have a postgrad degree in a liberal arts programme,
Whats your degree/field if you mind sharing?

I would pursue an academic career in this case. Seems pretty comfy

Very competitive. I did a liberal arts degree hoping to be an academic, changed my mind as I wasn't interested in a particular discipline. If you are considering it, it's not a one-way easy street - departments don't just hire on the basis of your degree or experience.

Idk from what i know of the field i can learn the stuff pretty easily

I have some respect for postcolonial academics - especially the works of Edward Said. It actually showed something, something worth noting and criticizing the knowledge-base of those in western academia.

But I can't take Postmodernists seriously. It just sounds like they're obsessed with bullshit and full of jargon. The Sokal affair showed this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

Basically a scientists admitting he wrote gibberish about his own field of work and he was able to get it published by a leading academic journal.

It's happened time and time again with people in these clown studies.

departments don't just hire on the basis of your degree or experience.
What criteria do they use then?
But I can't take Postmodernists seriously. It just sounds like they're obsessed with bullshit and full of jargon
Oh me neither, im not interested in truth at all tbh. Just looking for a comfy academic job so i can subsist on gov money ngl

See you at the gun store

Give a lecture to your future students on the noble art of postmaxxing.

I donth think i would be able to teach*. I thought mostly of research or administrative positions?

Not sure. But I have a friend who is a PhD student at UCL in the politics department. He says they had a position open last year and they rejected applications from 100s of people including a world-leading academic, instead took on a foid who specialized in a certain area they liked and spoke a language no one else spoke which was important for middle eastern studies. Many modules they teach and research and events they are conducting, they're looking for a specific person who can contribute something.

Once you meet the minimum these arbitrary specifics matter more. That's why most PhD students literally tour the world and try to get an academic position wherever they can in their field of study - because it might not be available elsewhere. If you have a PhD in political theory specializing in the political thought of medieval thinkers - why would departments who teach nothing like that ever hire you?
I donth think i would be able to teach*. I thought mostly of research or administrative positions?

This shouldn't be a problem.
Don't even need a PhD tbh.
In higher academia "lecturer" is just a placeholder. When I was a student the offices were empty as most 'lecturers' were on "research leave". Some have whole terms off. Other actually lecture like 6 hours a week. It's actually a chilled out job I'm told - but can be stressful and requires a lot of mental effort and genuine interest in a field of study. I get bored after reading about one thing in like a month.

Last edited:
I don't like post colonics!

That sounds like an SJW degree about "muh white people BAD"

Oh me neither, im not interested in truth at all tbh. Just looking for a comfy academic job so i can subsist on gov money ngl

I was in academia (a PhD program in math in the US). It's been years, but even back then there weren't many tenure-track positions, and competition for those was tough. If you're tenure-track, it's publish or perish, and people who don't pass committee review are canned. Plus, you get heavier (and "worse") teaching assignments. And, at least, in math, you better like schmoozing (I imagine social sciences and humanities, at least, are similar in that regard).

And that's without even getting into the politics. And here, I don't mean left-wing, right-wing stuff. I mean politics within subjects, where professors will vote down hiring or tenuring folks who are in specialties they don't think as much of (in math, this was a big problem with folks who did pure math fields vs. folks who did applied math fields).

Academia sucks, man. I would never, ever recommend it as a career to anyone.

Last edited:
Don't do it bro.It's literal kike subversion bs

Academia sucks, man. I would never, ever recommend it as a career to anyone.
why is that exactly, man?
It seems like a chill job, teaching 6 hours a week or maybe even less... doing research on topics that interest you, bossing slaves around (ahemm I mean undergrad, MSc and PhD students)
I know it's tough to get to this position, it must be a fucking grind, and the competition is ruthless, but if you're smart (ofc you are, you were in a PhD program, IN MATH, I took one advanced math course (graph theory, I actually enjoyed it) in uni, but it was so fucking hard), why didn't you become a professor?

Last edited:
why is that exactly, man?
It seems like a chill job, teaching 6 hours a week or maybe even less... doing research on topics that interest you, bossing slaves around (ahemm I mean undergrad, MSc and PhD students)
I know it's tough to get to this position, it must be a fucking grind, and the competition is ruthless, but if you're smart (ofc you are, you were in a PhD program, IN MATH, I took one advanced math course (graph theory, I actually enjoyed it) in uni, but it was so fucking hard), why didn't you become a professor?

I had graph theory with a CS professor when I was an undergrad. It was a fun subject (all of the discrete subjects are) and has some pretty interesting open problems too.

I spent three years in graduate school (I was ABD when I left), and by the end, I just came to really hate it. Not the subject, I enjoyed studying for my quals and writing my minor thesis. Just everything else that came with it, the politics, the turf wars, the swiping of other folks' research, the BS responses from journal article referees ("This is a great article" but then they reject it anyway), and so forth and so on.

I will admit though, I have wondered if some of that was the atmosphere of the program I was in (it was a pretty "high ranked" one, in so much as that means anything) and, had I gone to a different school things have been different. I did get some things out of it, though.

But those issues are gonna come up to some degree in lots of fields, I think, especially those with a glut of PhDs. And if you're not tenure track, you might end up working a less desirable adjunct job where you get the worst teaching assignments, little time to work on your research, and no promise of a permanent position. And even when you're tenured, some of what I listed above isn't going to go away (though some folks might not mind dealing with it so much, I guess). I'm just giving my view based on my experience (which I'll admit is limited to math and incredibly jaded). But I still would not recommend it.