Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion How to improve writing skills?

>50IQcel

>50IQcel

Puuha-Pete
★★★★★
Anyone know of any books or resources so I could improve my writing skills?

Shut up jew
no but seriously best way is just reading. Reading any type of novel really
I know I don't look it cuz I type like shit here, but I was actually a pretty creative writer. Had a car crash story published in my school paper

There are no writing skills for your face.

Shut up jew
no but seriously best way is just reading. Reading any type of novel really
I know I don't look it cuz I type like shit here, but I was actually a pretty creative writer. Had a car crash story published in my school paper
Don't like reading

You write more.

Screenshot 20200710 151649 1

So the best way to become a better writer is to just write. Every day. Even when you don't feel like it.

But if you want actual concrete advice, here are some tips:

People will give you a ton of advice and then tell you to disregard it and make your own rules. These people think that this is a very clever way of telling you to "be creative," and to express yourself freely. These people are wrong. You aren't a magical genius, you are an idiot monkey with a keyboard and a word processor. Take every bit of advice you can and then use it until you understand it.

Write shorter sentences. The #1 problem with beginning writers is run-on sentences peppering their writing. If you have more than one comma, reconsider that sentence. If your sentence has more than one clear idea, reconsider that sentence.

Clarity over beauty. You will eventually be able to write clearly and beautifully, but when you are starting, it is far, FAR more important that your ideas and the progression of your stories are clear to your audience. Don't be vague, don't be coy. You don't need to provide all of the information you can possibly give, but you shouldn't be withholding information without reason.

To improve your descriptive prowess, write short stories about objects where you just describe them without saying what they are, or even what they look like. Really try to limit yourself to under 250 words. If you have a friend, you can make a game of it; you both try to describe something without saying what it is, and then see if the other person can guess. This is good, because you want to be vague enough to be challenging, but not so vague as to be inscrutable.

READ YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKER. Read. A lot. Read BOOKS. It's astounding how many people I know have come up to me talking about their ideas for a novel or a movie or whatever, and then when I ask them how long ago they last read a full book, I just get a dumbfounded look. It's so vital to have influences to ape and imitate and steal from. If there is a writer out there that you love, you need to understand that you love them because they are able to communicate with you.

It's the difference between the Harry Potter series as written by JK Rowling and the Harry Potter series as recounted to you by your excited eleven-year-old niece who can sort of almost remember all of the movies. Even though both of them are telling the exact same story, one of them is communicating that story in a clear, direct, and paced manner, while the other one took a sip of your coffee when you weren't looking and she's also thinking about slap bracelets and pink earmuffs or whatever.

Before you start writing longer stories, try to work out a formula. You know that all stories have a beginning, middle, and end. You might have also heard terms like "climax" and "denouement," "rising action" and "falling action," that sort of thing. Look these terms up. Go to the tvtropes page for your favourite show and see if you can find some tropes and terms that affect the progress of the show.

Don't be afraid to retell stories. If you don't have anything you feel like writing about, it's fine to take a breather day and just do something easy or fun. Try finding a writing prompt that grabs you on r/writingprompts (or just google it, writingprompts kind of sucks). Try writing a fairy tale from the perspective of the villain. Try writing out the lyrics of a song and turning it into a story. Try telling the story of how you got an object that you treasure. You don't need to work ridiculously hard to have a positive day. Just make sure you get some work in as often as you can.

Practice. Practice endlessly. Write constantly. Always. If you can write once a day, write once a day. If you can write once a month, shut up, you can write more, write more. If you're the kind of person who sets goals by the number, then aim for 500-1000 words a day. If you don't like setting goals, well, you're going to need to start setting goals. Try for something easy, like writing a short story or a retelling of a fairy tale every week.

Anyone know of any books or resources so I could improve my writing skills?

Pratice with it and write though id reccomend you don't follow the write every day advice as it can lead to burnout and you could be mad at yoyrself for not writing everyday. Just make sure to take a break from time to time.

Write more everyday.

my English writing skills are trash, most of the times I can't even articulate what I'm trying to say :feelsseriously::feelsseriously::feelsseriously:

get legal writing books. seriously.

My writing skills are shit, people say that it looks like a 10 year old's signature.

Many say it's because I'm left handed, but I just think it's because my teacher's were terrible at teaching me things.

@>50IQcel
Try practice writing here and make a thread on a blackpill concept you want to discuss or explain in more detail. Many people already do it and I'm currently working on one which I hope to publish in a few days or less(hopefully)

So the best way to become a better writer is to just write. Every day. Even when you don't feel like it.

But if you want actual concrete advice, here are some tips:

People will give you a ton of advice and then tell you to disregard it and make your own rules. These people think that this is a very clever way of telling you to "be creative," and to express yourself freely. These people are wrong. You aren't a magical genius, you are an idiot monkey with a keyboard and a word processor. Take every bit of advice you can and then use it until you understand it.

Write shorter sentences. The #1 problem with beginning writers is run-on sentences peppering their writing. If you have more than one comma, reconsider that sentence. If your sentence has more than one clear idea, reconsider that sentence.

Clarity over beauty. You will eventually be able to write clearly and beautifully, but when you are starting, it is far, FAR more important that your ideas and the progression of your stories are clear to your audience. Don't be vague, don't be coy. You don't need to provide all of the information you can possibly give, but you shouldn't be withholding information without reason.

To improve your descriptive prowess, write short stories about objects where you just describe them without saying what they are, or even what they look like. Really try to limit yourself to under 250 words. If you have a friend, you can make a game of it; you both try to describe something without saying what it is, and then see if the other person can guess. This is good, because you want to be vague enough to be challenging, but not so vague as to be inscrutable.

READ YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKER. Read. A lot. Read BOOKS. It's astounding how many people I know have come up to me talking about their ideas for a novel or a movie or whatever, and then when I ask them how long ago they last read a full book, I just get a dumbfounded look. It's so vital to have influences to ape and imitate and steal from. If there is a writer out there that you love, you need to understand that you love them because they are able to communicate with you.

It's the difference between the Harry Potter series as written by JK Rowling and the Harry Potter series as recounted to you by your excited eleven-year-old niece who can sort of almost remember all of the movies. Even though both of them are telling the exact same story, one of them is communicating that story in a clear, direct, and paced manner, while the other one took a sip of your coffee when you weren't looking and she's also thinking about slap bracelets and pink earmuffs or whatever.

Before you start writing longer stories, try to work out a formula. You know that all stories have a beginning, middle, and end. You might have also heard terms like "climax" and "denouement," "rising action" and "falling action," that sort of thing. Look these terms up. Go to the tvtropes page for your favourite show and see if you can find some tropes and terms that affect the progress of the show.

Don't be afraid to retell stories. If you don't have anything you feel like writing about, it's fine to take a breather day and just do something easy or fun. Try finding a writing prompt that grabs you on r/writingprompts (or just google it, writingprompts kind of sucks). Try writing a fairy tale from the perspective of the villain. Try writing out the lyrics of a song and turning it into a story. Try telling the story of how you got an object that you treasure. You don't need to work ridiculously hard to have a positive day. Just make sure you get some work in as often as you can.

Practice. Practice endlessly. Write constantly. Always. If you can write once a day, write once a day. If you can write once a month, shut up, you can write more, write more. If you're the kind of person who sets goals by the number, then aim for 500-1000 words a day. If you don't like setting goals, well, you're going to need to start setting goals. Try for something easy, like writing a short story or a retelling of a fairy tale every week.
didn red lol

I can't write for shit but if I were to improve my writing skills I would: Read a lot of acclaimed books from different established authors. While reading make mental notes on which approach, literary style works for what purpose. After that read some terrible fan fiction, point out what makes it terrible and how you would rewrite it better. Rewrite the endings/sections of good novels. Sometimes from different perspectives, using different literary approaches, sometimes trying to mimic author. Try to come up with creative exercises.
Honestly I strongly doubt there is an easy answer to that question and it would require time and effort.
Maybe I should follow my own advice.

I read a lot when I was younger. This has given me a rich vocabulary along with a good sense of grammar and spelling in both Swedish and English.

I can't write for shit but if I were to improve my writing skills I would: Read a lot of acclaimed books from different established authors. While reading make mental notes on which approach, literary style works for what purpose. After that read some terrible fan fiction, point out what makes it terrible and how you would rewrite it better. Rewrite the endings/sections of good novels. Sometimes from different perspectives, using different literary approaches, sometimes trying to mimic author. Try to come up with creative exercises.
Honestly I strongly doubt there is an easy answer to that question and it would require time and effort.
Maybe I should follow my own advice.

Im also writing some stories and i think itll be a while until im done.

Just keep reading and writing. Read things that have to do with the style/genre you want to write in.

Bob the Builder, what happened to you?