Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious How do I get into philosophy?

TheNEET

TheNEET

mentally crippled by sleepoverless teen years
★★★★★
the big boy stuff like metaphysics and epistemology
I don't trust Soyddit or Jewgle to provide me with recommendations

Philosophymaxxing is good for guys in their 40s and 50s .

Watch jewtube to get a feel of different philosophies then if smthng catches ur attention, read their actual works. Keep an open mind.

im still at the jewtube part though

Don't do it, it's suifuel.

Don't do it, it's suifuel.
I need it to optimize my thoughts and avoid reinventing the wheel
e. g. I've had the concept of deontology and consequentialism in my head since like middle school but until recently I didn't know the names -- if I were to refer to it in a conversation, I'd waste time reinventing the wheel and possibly making a fool out of myself :feelstastyman:

this guide is made by a gay commie but it's one of the most detailed guides out there.no,it's not sjw or anything of the sort.

Btw philosophy is a hard subject and there is a lot to read and study,so don't expect to become a "learned" fag that quick.You should read first a guide before reading the actual philosophers(believe me,it will be a million times more beneficial then just reading a text that you don't even understand half the terms kek).As a guide you should get the history of philosophy series(buy each volume according to the era of philosophy you are studying) and you should be more then fine.You can get commentaries and guides to certain philosophers but a history of philosophy(written by frederick copleston) should be enough.

Philosophy is good,but it most likely isn't what you are searching for.Philosophy doesn't satisfy man,but it can help in certain questions(such as does god exist).Btw since you are going to study philosophy,you should pick the last superstition.it's a good apologetic book and it's a good philosophical book that dispels many of the errors of modern philosophy.

We had philosophy as a compulsory subject at school, where we either read entire books or sections of them. The following are the ones you should have heard:

Aristotle: Nicomachean Ethics

What's this about? It deals, as in words, with the doctrine of morality or virtue. Through virtue man fulfills his destiny, which is that he attains his natural perfection and thereby becomes happy. For Aristotle, therefore, the goal of man is the starting point of ethical consideration. Just as all living things strive for good, so also man: his highest good, the goal of all his actions, is bliss, and ethical discussion will show us that the same is to be found only in the exercise of virtue.

John Stuart Mill: Utilitarianism

What's this about? Basic thesis: An action is justified if it promotes happiness. If she diminishes or threatens it, then she's wrong. Happiness is joy, the absence of pain. Why is this still so important today? Because it's about the question of "right or wrong. " She's still killing us today. Examples are pre-implantation diagnostics, euthanasia, tax evasion. Mill's work provides food for thought in order to better deal with these questions.

Platon: Politeia

What's it all about? For ten books, the Plato fights with other men, most of the dialogues are invented. First of all, it is about justice, and then a system for the ideal construction of a state emerges. It reflects Plato’s despair for Attic democracy and the unjust death sentence passed by the People’s Court on Socrates. The purpose of the ideal community is to realize the idea of goodness and to educate its citizens. Just as in the cosmos and in the soul, a harmonious wholeness should also be realized in the ideal state. There is a structural analogy between the individual and the state: Justice as an orderly self-relation in the soul of the individual has its equivalent in the orderly self-relation of the Polis. All citizens and states provide for their well-being by integrating themselves harmoniously into the whole and serving it.

René Descartes: Meditations on the First Philosophy

What’s it all about? Descartes reverses his world view and assumes that everything he had believed so far is wrong. Including his body, his consciousness, the world and what his eyes see. He doubts the principles of mathematics and science. And that’s what it’s all about: the methodical doubt.

Immanuel Kant: The Metaphysics of Morals

What’s it all about? Kant bases every right on the right to freedom for all people. His doctrine of virtue is about physical, spiritual and moral perfection – and about the happiness of the community. He derives duties and virtues on the basis of reason.

From experience I can say that Kant is the shittiest writer that’s why I suggest you read other summaries of him. Good luck bro:feelsYall:

this guide is made by a gay commie but it's one of the most detailed guides out there.no,it's not sjw or anything of the sort.

Btw philosophy is a hard subject and there is a lot to read and study,so don't expect to become a "learned" fag that quick.You should read first a guide before reading the actual philosophers(believe me,it will be a million times more beneficial then just reading a text that you don't even understand half the terms kek).As a guide you should get the history of philosophy series(buy each volume according to the era of philosophy you are studying) and you should be more then fine.You can get commentaries and guides to certain philosophers but a history of philosophy(written by frederick copleston) should be enough.

Philosophy is good,but it most likely isn't what you are searching for.Philosophy doesn't satisfy man,but it can help in certain questions(such as does god exist).Btw since you are going to study philosophy,you should pick the last superstition.it's a good apologetic book and it's a good philosophical book that dispels many of the errors of modern philosophy.
We had philosophy as a compulsory subject at school, where we either read entire books or sections of them. The following are the ones you should have heard:

Aristotle: Nicomachean Ethics

What's this about? It deals, as in words, with the doctrine of morality or virtue. Through virtue man fulfills his destiny, which is that he attains his natural perfection and thereby becomes happy. For Aristotle, therefore, the goal of man is the starting point of ethical consideration. Just as all living things strive for good, so also man: his highest good, the goal of all his actions, is bliss, and ethical discussion will show us that the same is to be found only in the exercise of virtue.

John Stuart Mill: Utilitarianism

What's this about? Basic thesis: An action is justified if it promotes happiness. If she diminishes or threatens it, then she's wrong. Happiness is joy, the absence of pain. Why is this still so important today? Because it's about the question of "right or wrong. " She's still killing us today. Examples are pre-implantation diagnostics, euthanasia, tax evasion. Mill's work provides food for thought in order to better deal with these questions.

Platon: Politeia

What's it all about? For ten books, the Plato fights with other men, most of the dialogues are invented. First of all, it is about justice, and then a system for the ideal construction of a state emerges. It reflects Plato’s despair for Attic democracy and the unjust death sentence passed by the People’s Court on Socrates. The purpose of the ideal community is to realize the idea of goodness and to educate its citizens. Just as in the cosmos and in the soul, a harmonious wholeness should also be realized in the ideal state. There is a structural analogy between the individual and the state: Justice as an orderly self-relation in the soul of the individual has its equivalent in the orderly self-relation of the Polis. All citizens and states provide for their well-being by integrating themselves harmoniously into the whole and serving it.

René Descartes: Meditations on the First Philosophy

What’s it all about? Descartes reverses his world view and assumes that everything he had believed so far is wrong. Including his body, his consciousness, the world and what his eyes see. He doubts the principles of mathematics and science. And that’s what it’s all about: the methodical doubt.

Immanuel Kant: The Metaphysics of Morals

What’s it all about? Kant bases every right on the right to freedom for all people. His doctrine of virtue is about physical, spiritual and moral perfection – and about the happiness of the community. He derives duties and virtues on the basis of reason.

From experience I can say that Kant is the shittiest writer that’s why I suggest you read other summaries of him. Good luck bro:feelsYall:
these answers are way more detailed than I'd expected from this forum :feelsahh: thanks, boyos :feelsautistic:

these answers are way more detailed than I'd expected from this forum :feelsahh: thanks, boyos :feelsautistic:
ice books you will read in due time,but what i said in my post is what i think is the correct way you should go through philosophy(based on experience).Starting philosophy is a bitch,so don't be surprised if you don't understand shit at first.

For me there are only four western philosophical schools that are worth anything: Platonism (including Neo-Platonism), Aristotelianism, Scholasticism and Palamism. Everything else is a waste of time for me (except for modern metaphysicians like Rene Guenon and Frithjof Schuon). None of the rationalistic philosophers (I.E., anyone from Descartes onward) knew a damn thing about metaphysics, so it's all about who can come up with the more "clever" and "original" system that is not actually based on any understanding of the truth but is only intended to be philosophy for the sake of philosophy. That's one of the reason they are so difficult to get, because you are dealing with a made up system the language of which you have to study before you can actually understand it. When i read Plato the first time i had no trouble understanding what he was actually getting at, because he wasn't trying to be clever for the sake of being clever, he was trying to say something that was actually immediately intelligible, at least to me.

the big boy stuff like metaphysics and epistemology

metaphysics:
  1. the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space.
    • abstract theory with no basis in reality.
      "his concept of society as an organic entity is, for market liberals, simply metaphysics"
Origin
72d9536776d1f171603a1bb5317c6f585fb6b07767cdd40ed1e8e470a2e1b162.png

mid 16th century: representing medieval Latin metaphysica (neuter plural), based on Greek ta meta ta phusika ‘the things after the Physics’, referring to the sequence of Aristotle's works: the title came to denote the branch of study treated in the books, later interpreted as meaning ‘the science of things transcending what is physical or natural’.

epistemology:
the theory of knowledge, especially with regard to its methods, validity, and scope. Epistemology is the investigation of what distinguishes justified belief from opinion.

Philosophymaxxing is good for guys in their 40s and 50s .
I think therefore I is... Tbh.
Just be stoic bros... Enduremaxx.
For me there are only four western philosophical schools that are worth anything: Platonism (including Neo-Platonism), Aristotelianism, Scholasticism and Palamism. Everything else is a waste of time for me (except for modern metaphysicians like Rene Guenon and Frithjof Schuon). None of the rationalistic philosophers (I.E., anyone from Descartes onward) knew a damn thing about metaphysics, so it's all about who can come up with the more "clever" and "original" system that is not actually based on any understanding of the truth but is only intended to be philosophy for the sake of philosophy. That's one of the reason they are so difficult to get, because you are dealing with a made up system the language of which you have to study before you can actually understand it. When i read Plato the first time i had no trouble understanding what he was actually getting at, because he wasn't trying to be clever for the sake of being clever, he was trying to say something that was actually immediately intelligible, at least to me.
Just be bland bro.

"God" is perfectly described in "the kabalion"
metaphysics:
  1. the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space.
    • abstract theory with no basis in reality.
      "his concept of society as an organic entity is, for market liberals, simply metaphysics"
Origin
72d9536776d1f171603a1bb5317c6f585fb6b07767cdd40ed1e8e470a2e1b162.png

mid 16th century: representing medieval Latin metaphysica (neuter plural), based on Greek ta meta ta phusika ‘the things after the Physics’, referring to the sequence of Aristotle's works: the title came to denote the branch of study treated in the books, later interpreted as meaning ‘the science of things transcending what is physical or natural’.

epistemology:
the theory of knowledge, especially with regard to its methods, validity, and scope. Epistemology is the investigation of what distinguishes justified belief from opinion.
U r sarmt!
Im a smart boy.
who is smart boy?
U r!
Yes you are!
Yes you are!
Join me in hermitix discord https://discord.gg/zsqhHf
Me me pm me pls!
Expired link :*€