Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Faster compute with InSpectre.

gnomen1

gnomen1

Veteran
★★★
About one year ago, Spectre and Meltdown patches seriously gimped windows performance. These patches slows down all Intel CPUs, and especially 1st gen to 5th gen.

Security researcher Steve Gibson made this tool to easily deactivate the windows patches. https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm It has to be run with admin privileges, and the computer must be restarted for changes to apply.

In a few months, Microsoft will apply the "Retpoline" patch from Google. But only for Broadwell and older CPU´s, windows 1809, and not older kernels. This will gimp Windows LTSB and force people over to LTSC.

I just deactivated the patches and my Windows computer is much snappier. Just try it and see for yourselves. Booting is faster and programs launch faster. If you use youtube-dl or torrent, the improvement is massive.

Last edited:
It sounds really interesting OP even though idk

All I am saying is that you will definitely get a faster computer if you disable the Spectre and Meltdown "hotfixes". The linked program only makes a few changes to the registry settings.

The more you know tbh

That's true, I've seen some literaure about it. The performance gains are significant, but I would do it only on a permanently offline computer. Nowadays the new trend is fileless/power Shell attacks, so it would be opening up your memory to rogue processes, risking to fry the computer.

Good find btw, I will do it on my old laptop.

That's true, I've seen some literaure about it. The performance gains are significant, but I would do it only on a permanently offline computer. Nowadays the new trend is fileless/power Shell attacks, so it would be opening up your memory to rogue processes, risking to fry the computer.

Good find btw, I will do it on my old laptop.
Gains are particularly felt in heavy i/o operations. I was downloading many small file segments with youtube-dl and my computer was stuttering and lagging in a way I haven´t experienced before. Disabled meltdown and spectre, and the problems disappeared.

Did some research on speculative execution and there is no way to properly fix these issues. The patches in both Linux and Windows are bullshit. Intel, AMD and ARM processors all implement heavy use of speculative execution, a CPU just cannot work without it. The cure in this case is worse than the disease.

The first reports on this vulnerability goes back to the early 1990´s. And every CPU produced since 1995 or so is open to this theoretical attack vector. Intel makes these patches to soothe share holders, not for consumers. They sacrifice performance for no reason.

Gains are particularly felt in heavy i/o operations. I was downloading many small file segments with youtube-dl and my computer was stuttering and lagging in a way I haven´t experienced before. Disabled meltdown and spectre, and the problems disappeared.

Did some research on speculative execution and there is no way to properly fix these issues. The patches in both Linux and Windows are bullshit. Intel, AMD and ARM processors all implement heavy use of speculative execution, a CPU just cannot work without it. The cure in this case is worse than the disease.

The first reports on this vulnerability goes back to the early 1990´s. And every CPU produced since 1995 or so is open to this theoretical attack vector. Intel makes these patches to soothe share holders, not for consumers. They sacrifice performance for no reason.

I guess it would be over regardless for my old laptop if someone decided to Meltdown it. I wonder if the problem could be somehow circumvented by sandboxing the entire operative system or simply using a virtual machine. Feel free to correct me, while I'm studying programming in my free time, I'm nowhere an expert like you seem. :feelstrash:

I guess it would be over regardless for my old laptop if someone decided to Meltdown it. I wonder if the problem could be somehow circumvented by sandboxing the entire operative system or simply using a virtual machine. Feel free to correct me, while I'm studying programming in my free time, I'm nowhere an expert like you seem. :feelstrash:
There is no way to stop exploits based on speculative execution. It´s a fundamental CPU-design error. Manufacturers have deliberately sacrificed security for performance and IPC-gain. Sandboxing/VM´s offers no protection because the CPU cache can be read, and all processes and VM´s share this cache.

People have been running PC´s open to this theoretical exploit for over 20 years. And nobody has been harmed, there are no reports of exploits in the wild.

I am just a NEET. But I watch Steve Gibson videos on youtube.

Thanks man, I have a 7th gen i5 but I'll see if this works. :feelsokman:

Thanks man, I have a 7th gen i5 but I'll see if this works. :feelsokman:
Do it. You will see much better 4k read/write on SSD´s, and this is important for PC responsiveness. There will also be a few percent better performance in games and lower power usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back