Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Do you get offended when people call you smart?

Shower_Taker

Shower_Taker

Officer
★★
Title.

I’ve come to realize that people use it as an abstract, difficult to refute, ego-stroking copout when they’re pressured to say something nice about you. It’s real clever too; what are you gonna say anyways? You’re gonna stand there and argue with them about how you’re actually a dumbass?

I get upset about this often with my parents. When they say it, or anyone else says it for that matter, I imagine them thinking “you’re ugly, talentless, a pain to be around...but you used the word anachronistic once so instead of calling you a pretentious piece of shit, I’m just gonna call you smart”.

Normies call unattractive guys they don't know with glasses smart because of the stereotype of an unattractive guy with glasses being a smart nerd.
It's a way they outcast people and it doesn't seem to always be said as a compliment like they want you to think.

If a foid compliments you in any way, it’s probably a good thing tbh. There was this Chadlite at Uni that was actually pretty based and smart and all the foids were like “teehee, he’s so smart OoOoOoOo”

No one has called me smart since highschool lmao.

No one has ever called me smart jfl unless i'm getting a scolding of some kind

No one has ever called me smart. But if someone did, I wouldn't be offended by it. I get offended when someone calls me handsome like my mom or her roastie friends.

Normies call unattractive guys they don't know with glasses smart because of the stereotype of an unattractive guy with glasses being a smart nerd.
It's a way they outcast people and it doesn't seem to always be said as a compliment like they want you to think.

Yeah, if someone says that to you when they don’t know you, it’s definitely an insult. I remember a religious guy years ago approached me trying to sell me a book on Eastern philosophy, bullshiting about how he reached out to me because “I appeared smart”. What a prick.

Yeah, if someone says that to you when they don’t know you, it’s definitely an insult. I remember a religious guy years ago approached me trying to sell me a book on Eastern philosophy, bullshiting about how he reached out to me because “I appeared smart”. What a prick.

Tbh I don't want any kind of excessive attention of any kind be it positive or negative because it shows that I'm seen as abnormal when that happens. Sadly there always has to be the one guy that's an odd one out and I'm often that.

No one has called me smart since highschool lmao.

It’s something you’d only think about saying to a kid, isn’t it? That’s partly why it’s weird for me to hear it as an adult.

I know this guy who’s daughter has mental and behavioral problems (they’re obvious enough that she can’t even coast through life despite female privilege). He often talks to me about her good grades, but to everyone else he complains about her being a pain in the ass 24/7.

Meanwhile, he has a tacit respect for his other kids because they’re normies who have their shit together, and he doesn’t need to posture to others about how they’re “smart”. Because he actually respects them.

It's over when even normies banish you to the shadow realm.

I’ve never been called smart in my life

Normies call any tryhard studycel smart. when I just grinded subjects for hours as I had no friends

It just makes me cringy tbh I'm not smart lel just average at best

Fakecel if you ever be in conversations

No because I am dumb

i wish i was smart

Would you wish intelligence upon Frankenstein? Or the Hunchback of Notre Dame? Not saying this is your case or even mine, but there's nothing worse than being a subhuman and having higher cognitive abilities, because you're now able to pinpoint everything that's objectively wrong in your life.

I'm not saying I'm smart; I've never been tested (and I got a McDegree), but that's how I feel about my life sometimes. Ignorance is bliss.

Just the fact they're trying to be nice, even if it's fake, is above-average treatment for an incel. So I feel thankful.

Someone posted months ago that being told you are intelligent by others means that you arent seen as a threat in any capacity.
Thats sounds very bad.

No one has ever called me smart. But if someone did, I wouldn't be offended by it. I get offended when someone calls me handsome like my mom or her roastie friends.
Neither has ever happened to me