Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

RageFuel Desktop and mobile app development (Android, Qt SDK, MariaDB and PHP)

rockwell1488

rockwell1488

Navy Commander
-
A few days ago I tried to make an Android app with a few simple goals:
  • load images into the app
  • load sound files into the app
  • make buttons do stuff
I've figured out how to add buttons because my course last year covered Visual Studio, but unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to load images. I moved from Visual Studio Xamarin to Android Studio but in Android Studio I couldn't even add the darn buttons. I dragged and dropped from the toolbox but they didn't appear in the visual editor. I also added the buttons in the XML code. After Googling the errors and trying different advice for over an hour I decided to quit, at which point I installed Qt Creator. If you guys have used KDE then you'll know that its apps are built with Qt.

Qt Creator seemed easy enough. I managed to add buttons (albeit not programmatically) and I also added an image file by changing the 'pixmap' value on a text label (yep that's how you add an image!) ............. only problem was the sound. I used QMediaPlayer and QMediaPlaylist but to no avail. I read that there's something called Phonon that could help so I'll try that next. My only real success was that I installed CentOS on my laptop and set up MariaDB and Apache. I want to work with databases and maybe CMS because that might just help me get a job.

System upgrade

btw I got a Ryzen 5 system thanks to my parents and I also got a Logitech gaming mouse (a Logitech G302 according to the label near the sensor). I got a good discount on this mouse since I'm basically the best customer at this little shop; Without the discount, it would have cost under $100 NZD. To put that in perspective, many gaming mouses cost over $200 NZD sometimes as high as $300 NZD. I'm very happy with the new mouse because it has better durability and it doesn't pick up soap scum on the buttons! It also has a button to change between mouse speeds and the weight of the mouse feels good, too. I didn't think I would get a mouse like this for under $100. The only downside is that when you exit a game and go into the menu, then it takes elbow grease to move the mouse over the menus in between games (if you were in a super-slow accurate mouse speed)

My opinion on mobile apps

Mobile apps are shit and phones cannot replace desktop PCs. Nothing beats this monitor, keyboard and mouse. I believe that mobile apps are a meme and that the development of mobile apps is a catastrophic, soul-crushing process. In contrast, desktop apps have been around longer and the tools for desktop development actually have helpful documentation. If I lived in Seattle then I would get a job building mobile apps but if you aren't in Seattle then training is hard to come by - a man has to bust his wrists begging for help on Stack Exchange and that is no substitute for having a mentor or a tutor IRL.