Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Dealing with bad times after good times

Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
Does anyone else struggle with this?

How when there is a time in your own life or in society that is significantly worse than times in the past, you can really end up missing those better times. Especially if there is no clear sign that things will get better again.

It almost makes me wonder if it's better never to have experienced those better times, but I think in reality that's impossible anyway as things typically do fluctuate quite a bit, in my experience.

Just wondered what you guys thought on this. I do definitely find it to be one of the hardest things to deal with in life.

Not that it's totally dreadful though and also I'm sure there must be some ways of thinking about it that help :)

its a major blueball

I'm going through this right now. What i tell myself is that life is a series of ups and downs. After a great rise, expect the fall. It's the natural order of things. Once you hit that low though, you need to start looking for the next high and move on. The only thing thinking about the past is going to do is cause you pain.

I was thinking about that actually that dwelling on the past and nostalgia is "bittersweet" but actually seems to be more bitter than sweet.

It's probably OK to think about it in small doses though I think. At the very least you can learn lessons from it, get inspiration for how to improve things in the future, etc.

But yeah things do usually get better eventually. Not always but usually.

it can always be worse
thats my only cope because whenever i was struggling and thought this is really shit my life is hell something worse happens and i end up missing yesterday

That's a good one yeah and is pretty much always true.

It's good to try to be positive about your life and not take things for granted too much. And then to work on the negatives to try to improve them, I think!

I always look forward to death in these cases.

The only constant is change

Whatever you got, try to make the most of it.

Currently, humanity is on the brink of several disasters. Manmade and natural.... It's a big cycle.

Since you're alone it's up to you to deal with whatever happens. So, plan for the worst, and if it don't happen, then be happy!

Look up prepping and survivalism... It's a great cope! By focusing on survival, it tricks you're mind into wanting to live!

It's like life insurance that pays off by keeping you alive!

i find comfort in facts like: i dont have any serious ilness causing me pain, i have a warm house and a bed to sleep. i earn enough to provide food and some other copes. i dont like my job but its not too exhausting and no one tortures me on work. i dont owe anyone money and i dont have anyone wanting to kill me.

thats all i got going for me, but thing is: i can loose any of that at any given moment. So i value this while it lasts.

I think that's a good attitude. It's good to be constructive going forwards but also not too negative about your current situation.

And yeah it's amazing how fast things can potentially get worse. Which is another reason it can be good to try to be constructive so even if something does knock you back a bit, you've got further you'd have to fall for things to be really bad.

I do wonder if I'll ever have a life that feels even close to the way it was when I was younger (late teens in particular).

I also think change in general saddens me more than most people. I find it quite hard to move on to new things even if they are good as well. I'm not entirely sure why.

The only constant is change

Whatever you got, try to make the most of it.

Currently, humanity is on the brink of several disasters. Manmade and natural.... It's a big cycle.

Since you're alone it's up to you to deal with whatever happens. So, plan for the worst, and if it don't happen, then be happy!

Look up prepping and survivalism... It's a great cope! By focusing on survival, it tricks you're mind into wanting to live!

It's like life insurance that pays off by keeping you alive!

Prepping/survivalism is kinda cool yeah :)

I don't do it too much but I do know some people who are really into it.

I feel like it would be quite difficult for me to do though because I tend to live in houseshares and can move around quite often too.

I might have a storage unit soon though so perhaps I could put some things in there. That's if in some end of the world scenario they would actually still let me in and not just steal it all or something, lol.

How when there is a time in your own life or in society that is significantly worse than times in the past, you can really end up missing those better times. Especially if there is no clear sign that things will get better again.

Yes.

It almost makes me wonder if it's better never to have experienced those better times, but I think in reality that's impossible anyway as things typically do fluctuate quite a bit, in my experience.

I enjoyed them greatly as they offered intellectual value.

Relatable I remember when my life was better :feelsbadman:

I think that's a good attitude. It's good to be constructive going forwards but also not too negative about your current situation.

And yeah it's amazing how fast things can potentially get worse. Which is another reason it can be good to try to be constructive so even if something does knock you back a bit, you've got further you'd have to fall for things to be really bad.

I do wonder if I'll ever have a life that feels even close to the way it was when I was younger (late teens in particular).

I also think change in general saddens me more than most people. I find it quite hard to move on to new things even if they are good as well. I'm not entirely sure why.

I feel like it would be quite difficult for me to do though because I tend to live in houseshares and can move around quite often too.

I might have a storage unit soon though so perhaps I could put some things in there. That's if in some end of the world scenario they would actually still let me in and not just steal it all or something, lol.
Yeah, there's a few books about storage building preppers. The idea is better than the reality if it.

In that case, skills is the way to go. Skills and mobility... Unfortunately, mobility gets old fast. I lived most of my life moving... It's rough. Even now I'm a renter. They could flip out and boot me at any time! I can only hope they don't, because... That would suck.

I keep confusing you with @Mecoja. :feelskek:

Yes very much when I was young and very depressed. Now that I'm less so, I still feel like after one hill there is always another hill. However I realized that, that is the fact of life. It's something you have to accept just like how fire will burn you or how you need air. Once you realize life is a continuous problem and solving question, it becomes the foreground

Yeah, there's a few books about storage building preppers. The idea is better than the reality if it.

In that case, skills is the way to go. Skills and mobility... Unfortunately, mobility gets old fast. I lived most of my life moving... It's rough. Even now I'm a renter. They could flip out and boot me at any time! I can only hope they don't, because... That would suck.

They have to give a good amount of notice though? At least here in the UK I think it's 2 months.

Skills are definitely good yeah! And yeah I like having the freedom to move around. I do think overall it outweighs owning the house you live in, but I can definitely see why people like to do that too.

I keep confusing you with @Mecoja. :feelskek:

oh lol, I don't know him well :o

Yes very much when I was young and very depressed. Now that I'm less so, I still feel like after one hill there is always another hill. However I realized that, that is the fact of life. It's something you have to accept just like how fire will burn you or how you need air. Once you realize life is a continuous problem and solving question, it becomes the foreground

I guess yeah the important thing is being able to climb back up again.

I guess I find it hard as an adult though. It was so much easier when I was 17!