Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

College Major help?

janoycresva

janoycresva

hey
-
I basically wasted my 1st year of college by being undeclared and transferring. Now I’m transferring again to a somewhat top tier school (<40). I couldn’t handle (I was always the last one in lab, HWs took me 4-6 hours) Comp Sci 1 which is supposed to be super easy so I dropped the class after the first 3 weeks. However, I find this odd because Calc 1/2 were a breeze this last year. Now I would just major in math but the predicament I’m in is that i will be in 90k+ debt if I don’t get an ROTC scholarship after my 1st year in the program. With math I don’t think I’ll be able to find a solid job that will pay off my debt after the military (still gonna go if I don’t get scholarship). However, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle a comp sci or engineering major, just cuz I’m retarded with stuff like that. Every other major seems useless. Ideally PolSci would be fun but no job. What do I do srs?

College just a big fat global scam

Don't expect to get a job after finishing a bachelors in math lol. You would need postgrad, and even that is hard - do it if you actually love the area of study.

If you want a good job and you want to put minimal work:

1. Economcis
2. Actuarial Science
3. Statistics

You can go for Comp Sci, but to actually be applicable for a good paying job you would need a really good profile. I mean like self-developed apps or a start-up that you created that you can show off.

Don't expect to get a job after finishing a bachelors in math lol. You would need postgrad, and even that is hard - do it if you actually love the area of study.

1. Economcis
2. Actuarial Science
3. Statistics

You can go for Comp Sci, but to actually be applicable for a good paying job you would need a really good profile. I mean like self-developed apps or a start-up that you created that you can show off.

Thanks for the help. Math(with a focus on Statistics) and Comp Sci is one of the majors that is offered so I’ll consider that. I figure if I studymaxx I can pass some of the elementary CS courses. I always thought that if you’re good at math, you should be good at coding but for me, that isn’t the case.

I always thought that if you’re good at math, you should be good at coding but for me, that isn’t the case.
You can code without being good at math. Although it depends on what you are coding. To write good programs you definitely need to be good at math to write the best algorithm, you learn most of this in discrete math and algorithms.

I would recommend going for CS and learning etiher C or Java first on your free time, there are plenty of tutorials online.

MIT has tutorials for their data structures and algorithms course which I would recommend watching after.

1. Economcis
2. Actuarial Science
3. Statistics

I major in Economics... I wouldn't call any of those three minimal work majors, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

I major in Economics... I wouldn't call any of those three minimal work majors, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.
I meant putting in any work outside of school

I basically wasted my 1st year of college by being undeclared and transferring. Now I’m transferring again to a somewhat top tier school (<40). I couldn’t handle (I was always the last one in lab, HWs took me 4-6 hours) Comp Sci 1 which is supposed to be super easy so I dropped the class after the first 3 weeks. However, I find this odd because Calc 1/2 were a breeze this last year. Now I would just major in math but the predicament I’m in is that i will be in 90k+ debt if I don’t get an ROTC scholarship after my 1st year in the program. With math I don’t think I’ll be able to find a solid job that will pay off my debt after the military (still gonna go if I don’t get scholarship). However, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle a comp sci or engineering major, just cuz I’m retarded with stuff like that. Every other major seems useless. Ideally PolSci would be fun but no job. What do I do srs?

I would recommend business or something that is tangentially related to it like supply chain management. You may have to contend with some rudimentary math, mostly stats and financial algorithms, but it will be comprehensible to you if you put the time and effort in and assuming you have no underlying intellectual impediment that precludes you from comprehending numbers. Don't go with anything in the liberal arts domain if you aspire to secure viable and lucrative employment, unless you truly have a passion for it and are likewise highly skilled in its practice. I spent three years in ROTC and I can say that it is a solid program which will very likely contribute to enhancing your cumulative GPA as well as inculcating indispensable life skills.

I would recommend business or something that is tangentially related to it like supply chain management. You may have to contend with some rudimentary math, mostly stats and financial algorithms, but it will be comprehensible to you if you put the time and effort in and assuming you have no underlying intellectual impediment that precludes you from comprehending numbers. Don't go with anything in the liberal arts domain if you aspire to secure viable and lucrative employment, unless you truly have a passion for it and are likewise highly skilled in its practice. I spent three years in ROTC and I can say that it is a solid program which will very likely contribute to enhancing your cumulative GPA as well as inculcating indispensable life skills.

Thanks for the help man. Yeah, I'd like to major in a liberal art but realistically, I know I won't be able to pay off my debt if I were to go that route.

Thanks for the help man. Yeah, I'd like to major in a liberal art but realistically, I know I won't be able to pay off my debt if I were to go that route.

Geography is a surprisingly lucrative liberal art. I am currently getting a minor in it just for fun.

Doesn't matter because getting a job is all about connections.

College just a big fat global scam

You can get jobs that pay better than most jobs that require you to have been to college. So if you are doing it for money it's a mistake to go to college, only go if it's something you enjoy.

Just a recommendation regarding engineering: most engineering majors are different than CompSci (even EE). If you can pass Calculus without major difficulty, I think you should be able to handle engineering classes. Most engineering courses are like physics or math classes. I know that it sounds cliche, but do not let failure in one course decide your future. I am going to third year of my ChemE program. I just retook a math course for the third time in order to pass. It really feels bad and exhausting for most of the time but I really need to end my degree (cuz of my scholarship). If you REALLY want a degree in something, just try your best and for the most part it will be fine. College is a scam. So be really carefult with what you choose. Do not pick a degree only for the money or reputation. There are easier ways to make more money than being a fucking doctor or an engineer. There is always going to be people with better curriculums and social networks. Just keep moving forward (sorry for the rant).

Just a recommendation regarding engineering: most engineering majors are different than CompSci (even EE). If you can pass Calculus without major difficulty, I think you should be able to handle engineering classes. Most engineering courses are like physics or math classes. I know that it sounds cliche, but do not let failure in one course decide your future. I am going to third year of my ChemE program. I just retook a math course for the third time in order to pass. It really feels bad and exhausting for most of the time but I really need to end my degree (cuz of my scholarship). If you REALLY want a degree in something, just try your best and for the most part it will be fine. College is a scam. So be really carefult with what you choose. Do not pick a degree only for the money or reputation. There are easier ways to make more money than being a fucking doctor or an engineer. There is always going to be people with better curriculums and social networks. Just keep moving forward (sorry for the rant).

Thanks for the help dude