Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Climate Change

BlackPillUNC

BlackPillUNC

Chapel Hell
★★★
Does anyone here know if Climate Change exists and also if it is human caused. I used to be a Climate Change denier, but I now think it exists. However, I do not know the cause of Climate Change.

I accept that Venus is hotter than Mercury despite Mercury being closer to the Sun (This fact was established before Climate Change became an Issue), and Venus has a lot of greenhouse gas which has always been given as the reason Venus is so hot, so it is possible that this could happen on Earth too?

I am uncertain about this as I believe strongly it could be a made up thing to secure votes or get the Jews money or something like this.

Climate change is one of my copes (nature destroying this shithole called humanity) aside from asteroid hitting Earth
Yeah climate change seems to be a gradual change not immediate one, so like what's the point of this cope if you have to wait a long while to see its effects destroying us

im unsure. it seems true but then again a lot of people seem to deny it.

I also think this can go both ways.

Yes politicians can use it to secure more votes but companies can use denialism to fuck our environment (No regulations = more profit). I would listen to data and leave politics out of the equation

https://climate.nasa.gov
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995507/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4340922/

I'll just leave the information here without a comment. Read scientific literature and see what evidence deniers can provide you

So far example this graph leaves me with two questions:

1. What causes the Pre-Industrial Revolution spikes and drops in CO2 levels? Volcanic Activity? I am uncertain

2. Despite the fact that CO2 levels haven't been this high in recent history, didn't we still have periods of heating? I do not know how to explain this.

I am sure my questions can be answered by science, and I am not saying that my questions debunk Climate Change at all, but they are key for me to understand why exactly now is different than other times before? Sure we have high CO2, but hasn't the Earth heated before without high CO2?
Climate change is one of my copes (nature destroying this shithole called humanity) aside from asteroid hitting Earth
Yeah climate change seems to be a gradual change not immediate one, so like what's the point of this cope if you have to wait a long while to see its effects destroying us

Most things I've read says that Climate Change won't kill me... so yay I guess.......

Last edited:
1. What causes the Pre-Industrial Revolution spikes and drops in CO2 levels? Volcanic Activity? I am uncertain
decomposition, ocean release and respiration,volcanic activity. You can look at the carbon cycle if you are interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle
Despite the fact that CO2 levels haven't been this high in recent history, didn't we still have periods of heating? I do not know how to explain this.
Yes of course natural periods of heating do exist. You can even see it on your graph. It displays the past 400.000 years.

Another important aspect is methane. "Methane produces a larger greenhouse effect per volume as compared to carbon dioxide, but it exists in much lower concentrations " The thing is that our industries also produce a lot of methane. Methane levels that are much higher than its natural counterparts.

decomposition, ocean release and respiration,volcanic activity. You can look at the carbon cycle if you are interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle

Yes of course natural periods of heating do exist. You can even see it on your graph. It displays the past 400.000 years.

Another important aspect is methane. "Methane produces a larger greenhouse effect per volume as compared to carbon dioxide, but it exists in much lower concentrations " The thing is that our industries also produce a lot of methane. Methane levels that are much higher than its natural counterparts.

I believe I learned about CF4 in high school, even more "heat potential" than Methane but currently way less concentration in the atmosphere... I believe it was made from something weird like producing electricity or burning plastic or something... Or maybe it was a different gas with a long name.

I find this interesting, though I don't have the background in hard sciences to be able to understand the research on a deep enough level to feel comfortable with it or draw my own conclusions... for example, I can't see through what is misinformation and what isn't.

I accept that Venus is hotter than Mercury despite Mercury being closer to the Sun (This fact was established before Climate Change became an Issue), and Venus has a lot of greenhouse gas which has always been given as the reason Venus is so hot, so it is possible that this could happen on Earth too?
I hope so, nobody looks at Venus and complains about the lack of wildlife. But of course, it's not as if a process like that could happen instantly, and who gets to enjoy a planet slowing growing hotter and more toxic? Everyone in existence, nobody wins. However one thing you can always rely on people to do, is to show as little foresight as possible. You'd wonder how most normies can even plan their weekly schedule?

That said, I'm a bit skeptical of the science behind climate change, it always seems to make a lot of assumptions. I think we need to be wary of data possibly based on false premises, specifically the future projections. But it's not a subject that I'm well read in, and certainly not my field, so disregard me.

Interestingly, I remember playing Aurora 4x and considering how much easier it would be to "win", simply by flooding Earth's atmosphere with inert gas. No pain, just cerebral hypoxia, respiratory depression, and death.

I hope so, nobody looks at Venus and complains about the lack of wildlife. But of course, it's not as if a process like that could happen instantly, and who gets to enjoy a planet slowing growing hotter and more toxic? Everyone in existence, nobody wins. However one thing you can always rely on people to do, is to show as little foresight as possible. You'd wonder how most normies can even plan their weekly schedule?

That said, I'm a bit skeptical of the science behind climate change, it always seems to make a lot of assumptions. I think we need to be wary of data possibly based on false premises, specifically the future projections. But it's not a subject that I'm well read in, and certainly not my field, so disregard me.

Interestingly, I remember playing Aurora 4x and considering how much easier it would be to "win", simply by flooding Earth's atmosphere with inert gas. No pain, just cerebral hypoxia, respiratory depression, and death.

This is exactly my situation when it comes to Climate Change as well. My exact sentiment about the subject.

Also related to your Aurora comment, this is the logic behind the "exit bag" method.

I believe I learned about CF4 in high school, even more "heat potential" than Methane but currently way less concentration in the atmosphere... I believe it was made from something weird like producing electricity or burning plastic or something... Or maybe it was a different gas with a long name.

I find this interesting, though I don't have the background in hard sciences to be able to understand the research on a deep enough level to feel comfortable with it or draw my own conclusions... for example, I can't see through what is misinformation and what isn't.
I understand, however you can always learn more about these subjects on your own. You just have to invest a lot of time into it.
Methane is for example made from animal livestock and various other things. I think it makes sense that altering the composition of the atmosphere alters the temperature. I believe in climate change for now, unless someone publishes scientific papers that clearly refute all previous papers. Science is fluid and not stagnant after all.

Climate changes and Earth has been warmed about 1 degree Celsius since ~1900. Imperfect data before this suggests there's been similar warmups and cooldowns in the past.

So, yes, global warming is real. I think it's something that needs to be watched. However, there isn't the slightest 'proof' that it's human caused and the government using endless fear tactics to make trillions of shekels due to that fear is pure evil. If one lives on an island 2 feet above sea level, stop living there, you were never supposed to go there anyway.

Most things I've read says that Climate Change won't kill me... so yay I guess.......
https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/
It kills, effects of climate change or global warming are severe weather like severe drought, winter, storms, but a large earthquake is better to kill in the short term tbh because it's not climate change where we have to wait loooooooooong for the full effect.

taking too long to kill us

Climate change is fraudulent science faked and paid for by the elite democrats in America to create another issue for them to look like "the good guys fighting for science" and to make the right look dumb.

I don't even care anymore just as long as it doesn't get too bad in my lifetime

This is part one of a two part post, giving some of the background information needed for the second part of the post.

It's hard to say. The common sense notion is of course that the standard narrative regarding climate change is legitimate. There is substantial credibility to this notion, it has a signal that successfully creates an impression of legitimacy to a substantial extent. However, one thing I've learned in my nearly thirty years of existence on this planet, is that there is such a thing as a false signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_theory

Because there are both mutual and conflicting interests in most animal signalling systems, a central problem in signalling theory is dishonesty or cheating. For example, if foraging birds are safer when they give a warning call, cheats could give false alarms at random, just in case a predator is nearby. But too much cheating could cause the signalling system to collapse. Every dishonest signal weakens the integrity of the signalling system, and so reduces the fitness of the group.[16][17]

Although this wikipedia article discusses signaling theory outside of the scope of the human species, it most certainly is applicable to the human species as well. In some cases false signaling is obvious, for example things such as hair systems and makeup are false signals of genetic fitness, with the purpose of creating a high quality signal of genetic fitness despite the genetic fitness not existing in the signaler. The purpose of false signals is ultimately to advantage the false signaler at the expense of those who mistakenly identify their signaling as honest. For example, a female may falsely signal high quality skin genetics with the skillful application of makeup, with the ultimate intent of competing with females with the true genetic correlates of high quality skin. This advantages the false signaler as she is able to degrade the value of the honest signal of genetic fitness of her competition, but it is to the detriment of her competition as via a mechanism similar to counterfeiting their honest genetic capital is devalued. It also disadvantages the males who are successfully misled by her false signaling, as they have the genetic capital to attract females with honest genetic correlates of high quality skin, and yet they may end up mating with a genetically inferior female who successfully falsely signals such genetic fitness to them.

More interesting are signals of reality frames dissociated from individual humans (ie: fake news of how the world is, as opposed to fake signals of the genetic fitness an individual has). As with falsely signaling genetic fitness, the ultimate intention of falsely signaling reality frames is to advantage the false signalers at the expense of those who are misled by their false reality frames.

Things are all the more confounded as in addition to false signaling which obfuscates a true threat (such as makeup that obfuscates poor quality skin genetics), there is also false signaling which creates the impression of a threat where none exists. The first form of false signaling is akin to camouflage such as the coat of a polar bear, which falsely signals it is snow so to lull prey into complacency:

polarbears2ianjohnsonnanuk.jpg

The other form of false signaling is akin to a scarecrow, which falsely signals that it is a predator so as to scare away things that may for example eat the vegetables of a farmer.

Cartoon-Scarecrow.png

It is likewise with signaled frames of reality. Some falsely signaled reality frames intend to scare people away from things by creating a false impression of harm:

https://erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_health4.shtml

The Albert Hofmann collection contains nearly seventy articles on the topic of whether or not LSD-25 causes "chromosome damage". These articles are a good example of the scientific and cultural moral panic that took place in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

In 1967, Science published an article, based on the examination of a single patient, which proposed that LSD caused chromosome breakage.1 As Peter Stafford notes in Psychedelics Encyclopedia, "By evening, the charge that LSD could break chromosomes was in all the nation's media."

Between 1967 and 1972, article after article was published, in respected peer-reviewed journals, describing the link between LSD and chromosomal damage, both in vitro and in users and their offspring. As these reports accumulated, popular media amplified the scare, leading to sensational articles decrying the mutations that would be unleashed on future generations.

"New research finds [LSD] is causing genetic damage that poses a threat of havoc now and appalling abnormalities for generations yet unborn."2

Yet, by the mid-1970s, the tide had turned and the scientific literature generally supported the revised opinion that LSD does not cause chromosomal breakage or birth defects.

How was it possible for this issue to progress as far as it did? In an atmosphere friendly to reports of negative consequences of LSD use, a litany of elementary scientific and research errors were ignored by the journals that published the findings. It wasn't until enough research could be conducted to counteract the initial momentum that saner opinions, and better science, prevailed.

In the collection is a copy of one of the key articles that helped end the hysteria that was taking place in peer reviewed journals and the media. The authors conclude that:

"From our own work and from a review of the literature, we believe that pure LSD ingested in moderate doses does not damage chromosomes in vivo, does not cause detectable genetic damage, and is not a teratogen or a carcinogen in man. Within these bounds, therefore, we suggest that, other than during pregnancy, there is no present contraindication to the continued controlled experimental use of pure LSD."3

The progression of this issue and its related articles is a perfect example of how dozens of journal references supporting one position may still be wrong. In many cases, only time and the evolution of knowledge can sort it out.

It would be interesting to read a retrospective on this part of psychedelic research history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retracted_article_on_dopaminergic_neurotoxicity_of_MDMA

"Severe dopaminergic neurotoxicity in primates after a common recreational dose regimen of MDMA[nb 1] ("ecstasy")",[1] was a paper by Dr. George Ricaurte which was published in the leading journal Science, and later retracted. The reason was that instead of using MDMA, methamphetamine had been used in the test.[2]
Another remarkable aspect of this episode is the public endorsement of the study, at the time of its publication, by Alan Leshner, chief executive of the AAAS and former director of NIDA. It isn't clear why an officer of the AAAS should be involved at all in publicly promoting a particular result published in its journal, least of all one whose outcome was questioned at the outset by several experts. The AAAS issued the retraction late in the afternoon on Friday 5 September, resulting in low-key media coverage, which contrasts sharply with the hype surrounding the initial paper.
In an interview in The Scientist[13] British scientists Colin Blakemore and Leslie Iversen described how they expressed concerns about the article with editors at Science. "It's an outrageous scandal," Iversen told The Scientist. "It's another example of a certain breed of scientist who appear to do research on illegal drugs mainly to show what the governments want them to show. They extract large amounts of grant money from the government to do this sort of biased work."

Upon results of the review, Research Triangle Institute asserted it was impossible the vials had been mislabeled as all other vials in suspect lots were properly labeled by labeling machines and it was not possible some vials had been mislabeled while others had not as the machines use printed rolls of labels. Many have asserted Ricaurte switched the labels in order to insure the continuation of funding and his results were fraudulent rather than mistaken. NIDA and AAAS are also suspected of aiding in the fraud.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_babies

Prenatal cocaine exposure (PCE), theorized in the 1970s, occurs when a pregnant woman uses cocaine and thereby exposes her fetus to the drug. "Crack baby" was a term coined to describe children who were exposed to crack (freebase cocaine in smokable form) as fetuses; the concept of the crack baby emerged in the US during the 1980s and 1990s in the midst of a crack epidemic.[1] Other terms are "cocaine baby" and "crack kid". Early studies reported that people who had been exposed to crack in utero would be severely emotionally, mentally, and physically disabled; this belief became common in the scientific and lay communities.[1] Fears were widespread that a generation of crack babies were going to put severe strain on society and social services as they grew up. Later studies failed to substantiate the findings of earlier ones that PCE has severe disabling consequences; these earlier studies had been methodologically flawed (e.g. with small sample sizes and confounding factors). Scientists have come to understand that the findings of the early studies were vastly overstated and that most people who were exposed to cocaine in utero do not have disabilities.[1]

However, other false reality frames try to create a false impression of a lack of harm:

tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

Typically there are at least two separate camps disseminating frames of reality which they assert to be actual reality.

Smoking_Dangers_-_1905_new.png

One of the camps primarily honestly signals, whereas the other camp primarily falsely signals. However, as if things were not already complicated enough, it is often the case that both camps falsely signal to some extent. One example of this involves the anti vaccination movement. This comic strip accurately characterizes the anti vaccination movement, as far as my ability to authenticate the signaling goes (though of course you must trust that I am honestly signaling this information to you!):

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-4.41.07-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-4.44.19-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-4.47.23-PM.png

However, it must be noted that vaccines are actually not entirely risk free. Around one in a million individuals have what are essentially very rare allergic reactions to vaccines, which can be life threatening even. However, in my research regarding vaccines, on occasion I saw medical professionals scoffing at the notion that vaccines can cause death. Now, in the competition between the anti vaccination movement and the mainstream medical establishment, the mainstream medical establishment is by my assessment of the signaling the honest signaler. However, some of their signaling is less than 100% technically accurate, in isolated incidences that are primarily intended for a lay audience, with the goal of soothing fears that have needlessly been provoked by the anti vaccination movement. However, someone who saw such signaling and believed it would have nevertheless been falsely signaled to, as vaccines can very rarely cause death via severe allergic reactions. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) can very rarely cause death via severe allergic reaction as well though! And the benefits of vaccination clearly outweigh the risks posed by it.

In the context of human false reality signaling, I've noted at least four pertinent areas of academic inquiry. Primarily, I study the signaling of false reality frames that are as the scarecrow is, creating a false impression of a threat where there is none. I believe this sort of false reality frame is more powerful against the general population, and that this was evolutionarily selected for in the following manner:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2012/02/word-of-the-day-hyperactive-agency-detection/

February 12 is Darwin Day, the birthday of Charles Darwin. In honor of Darwin’s 203rd birthday, let’s look into a term that’s related to both evolution and religion.

Imagine an early hominid in the grasslands of Africa. He hears a rustling in the bushes—is that a cheetah or just the wind? Should he run away or ignore it?

There are two kinds of errors. Suppose our friend thinks it’s a cheetah and runs away … but he’s wrong. This is a false positive. He’s crying wolf. There can be a cost to this—our timid hominid might have been frightened away from a water hole.

But consider the other error. The hominid might think it’s the wind in the tall grass … but he’s wrong. This is a false negative. The cost is obvious—he likely becomes a predator’s lunch.

Given the disproportionate consequences for guessing wrongly, natural selection seems to have selected for caution.
As a result, early man may have developed a “hyperactive agency detection device”—an overactive tendency to see agency (that is, intelligence) in nature, even where there is none. The HADD may also be where we detect patterns in things—superstition, concluding that odd events are more than coincidence, or even conspiracy theories.

If this gave early man the ideas of spirits of the dead and gods, this may help explain where early religion came from.

One area related to false signals of harm is called 'Moral Panic Theory' in sociology:

https://content.ucpress.edu/chapters/11128.ch01.pdf

Panic

A Guide to the Uses of Fear

[W]e are only episodic conductors of meaning, essentially. We
form a mass, living most of the time in a state of panic or
haphazardly, above and beyond any meaning.

“Moral panic” can be defined broadly as any mass movement that emerges in response to a false, exaggerated, or ill- defined moral threat to society and proposes to address this threat through punitive mea-sures: tougher enforcement, “zero tolerance,” new laws, communal vigi-lance, violent purges.1 Witch hunts are classic examples of moral panics in small, tribal, or agrarian communities. McCarthyism is the obvious example of a moral panic fueled by the mass media and tethered to re-pressive governance.2

Moral panic involves false reality frames, including though not necessarily limited to in this manner:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/wicked-deeds/201507/moral-panic-who-benefits-public-fear

Moreover, there are two important news media practices that contribute to moral panic. These are known as framing and priming. Framing refers to the way an issue is presented to the public or angle it is given by the news media. Framing involves calling attention to certain aspects of an issue while ignoring or obscuring other elements. In other words, framing gives meaning to an issue.

Dr. Gaye Tuchman proposed that the news media rely on “news frames” to determine what events to cover and how to cover them (2). Just as the photographer’s choice of lens affects a photograph, the journalist’s choice of news frame affects a story. Tuchman theorized that journalists select news frames for a story based in part on routine procedures and the organizational constraints of their particular medium.

In addition, the choice of frame is influenced by prior news frames, the power and authority of news sources, history and even ideology. Thus, news frames are contested or negotiated phenomena rather than being based solely on objective events. Most importantly, an audience will react very differently to an issue or story depending on how it is framed by the news media.

In contrast, priming is a psychological process whereby the news media emphasis on a particular issue not only increases the salience of the issue on the public agenda, but also activates previously acquired information about that issue in people’s memories. The priming mechanism explains how the news frame used in a particular story can trigger an individual’s pre-existing attitudes, beliefs and prejudices regarding that issue.

An example of priming would be the triggering of varied individual responses such as outrage or pity to the framing of Dr. Conrad Murray—Michael Jackson’s accused killer and personal physician—during his 2011 manslaughter trial. Given the news media’s prior framing of the legendary Michael Jackson as an eccentric and troubled genius, people naturally had different reactions to the framing of Dr. Murray due to their own individual interpretations of the image of Jackson.

An example of this in relation to teenage sexuality:

https://books.google.ch/books?id=Yq...u4GABQ#v=onepage&q=teenage sex regret&f=false

The official view is that teens have sex only for bad reasons: because of enticing
media images, peer pressure, hormones, limited brains, and other misguided compulsions.
In such a climate, researchers who find teens expressing positive attitudes about
sex and their sexual experiences often feel compelled to slant their results in a
negative manner--and if they do not, media reports will.

For example, Web MD reported a University of California study of 619 teens, 275
of whom had intercourse or oral sex during their ninth or tenth grade years, under
the headline, "Teen sex may take emotional toll. Girls especially vulnerable to
negative emotional aftereffects." Web MD's headline and article were not fair
characterizations of the 18-month study published in the February 2007 pediatrics.
In fact, the study found teens aged 15 and 16 were quite positive about their sexual
experiences. Directly contradicting those who claim teen sex inexorably leads to
regret, depression, and even suicide, only 2 percent (among teens who had both oral
sex and intercourse) to 4 percent (for those who had only oral sex) said their
experiences had been entirely negative. In contrast, an astounding 61 percent (oral
sex), 86 percent (intercourse), and 96 percent (both) said at least one aspect of
the sex had been positive. Even though researchers gave teens only half as many
positive as negative options to choose from, 8 to 20 times more felt their experience
had been entirely positive. Most reported both positive experiences (led by pleasure,
feeling good about oneself, and making one's relationship better) and negative ones
(led by much lower levels of feeling used, feeling bad about oneself, and feeling
regret).

Web MD's headline, then, should have been "Teenagers generally report positive
experiences from sex." That most sexually active teens could think of at least
one negative consequence, as defined by the researchers, not only failed to negate
their generally positive reactions, it indicated a healthy ability to recognize the
complexity of sexual experience. What sexually active adult has not experienced some
bad results (remember the famous "Hite Report" of yore?)?

Another area is called 'Social Mania', though these may not always involve false signals in the form of a scarecrow (though they commonly do), and can also involve false signals in a form I actually haven't mentioned yet, in which there is a reality frame to be extremely ecstatic about despite it not being real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_mania

Social manias are mass movements which periodically sweep through societies. They are characterized by an outpouring of enthusiasm, mass involvement and millenarian goals. Social manias are contagious social epidemics, and as such they should be differentiated from mania in individuals.

Social manias come in different sizes and strengths. Some social manias fail to 'catch fire', while others persist for hundreds of years (although sometimes in severely attenuated form). Common to all is a vision of salvation, a new way of life, which if realized would radically change everyday life, ushering in a new world of freedom and justice.

A form of false signaling in which something truly harmful is signaled as nonexistent is essentially denialism. By my assessment of the evidence, I believe that those who signal that the holocaust did not happen are sending false signals that camouflage the true existence of the holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_denial

Holocaust denial is the act of denying the genocide of Jews in the Holocaust during World War II.[1] Holocaust deniers claim: that Nazi Germany's Final Solution was aimed only at deporting Jews from the Reich but that it did not include the extermination of Jews; that Nazi authorities did not use extermination camps and gas chambers to mass murder Jews; or that the actual number of Jews killed was significantly lower than the historically accepted figure of 5 to 6 million, typically around a tenth of that figure.[2][3][4]

Another area is called 'Mass Hysteria' and is also studied in sociology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

In sociology and psychology, mass hysteria (also known as collective hysteria, group hysteria, or collective obsessional behavior) is a phenomenon that transmits collective illusions of threats, whether real or imaginary, through a population in society as a result of rumors and fear (memory acknowledgement).[1][2]

Some have called the anti vaccination movement a mass hysteria, though I believe they are a non-criminological moral panic:

http://www.skepticalob.com/2016/09/are-anti-vaccine-parents-in-the-grip-of-mass-hysteria.html

Are anti-vaccine parents in the grip of mass hysteria?

Welcome to Salem road sign illustration, with distressed foreboding background

Vaccination is one the greatest public health advances of all time.

It has saved, and continues to save, literally millions of lives each year, yet many well meaning parents have become convinced that vaccines are harmful and there is no amount of scientific evidence that can convince them otherwise.

Here is some more information on the anti vaccination movement:

http://jhppl.dukejournals.org/content/37/1/69.short

The last dozen years have seen a massive transnational mobilization of the legal, political, and research communities in response to the worrisome hypothesis that vaccines could have a link to childhood autism and other developmental conditions. Vaccine critics, some already organized and some composed of newly galvanized parents, developed an alternate world of internally legitimating studies, blogs, conferences, publications, and spokespeople to affirm a connection.

As I have noted above, there is indeed a complex community of researchers, journals, and articles to point to, facts to recite, conferences to attend, and professional groups to connect with that supply a great deal of internal legitimacy

Note how they have constructed an alternate reality which has no true correlation to the state of actual existence. This is akin to makeup that has no true correlate to the genetics for high quality skin, or a wig that has no true correlate to the genetics for MPB resistance. However, rather than being camouflage as these false genetic quality signals are, they are more akin to the scarecrow, which likewise creates a frame of reality with no true correlate to the state of actual existence.

Note how those who believe in the false reality frames are resistant to the scientific evidence that demonstrates the lack of correlation the frames have to the state of actual reality. Their brains are actually undergoing neural patterns reminiscent of anosognosic schizophrenia when they are exposed to evidence contrary to the false reality frames they incorrectly believe to be correlated to the state of actual reality.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep39589

Neural correlates of maintaining one’s political beliefs in the face of counterevidence
Challenges to political beliefs produced increased activity in the default mode network—a set of interconnected structures associated with self-representation and disengagement from the external world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ous-people-emotional-not-think-logically.html

Religious people 'cling to certain beliefs' even when they contradict evidence because they are overly emotional and irrational, study claims

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4140620/

Anosognosia in Schizophrenia: Hidden in Plain Sight
“I don’t need medicine—there is nothing wrong with me. I just came here for a check-up.”

This involves the deactivation of evolutionarily modern cognition's neural substrate concomitant the activation of the anti-correlated ancestral cognition's neural substrate:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4805169/

Finally, we have demonstrated that attention to engaging social stimuli not only activates the DMN but also deactivates the TPN. In a subsequent study[30] it was shown that this pattern of DMN activation and TPN deactivation was present for humanizing depictions of individuals, whereas dehumanizing depictions, which are associated with decreased moral concern, either involved decreased activity in the DMN or increased activity in the TPN. Taken together, these findings suggest that we are neurologically constrained from simultaneously exercising moral concern and analytic thinking.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160323151838.htm

"These findings," Friedman continued, "are consistent with the philosophical view, espoused by (Immanuel) Kant, according to which there are two distinct types of truth: empirical and moral."

As you can see the activation of the DMN results in access to what they are improperly calling the moral truth, whereas activation of the TPN results in access to the empirical scientific truth. What they are calling the moral truth is more appropriately termed the cultural truth, they are conflating cultural truths with moral truths most inappropriately:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23256249.2013.812821?scroll=top&needAccess=true&

This article discusses the rationale of Nazi ethics and the moral conditioning of Nazi perpetrators aimed at developing a kind of “ethnic conscience” which restricted moral obligations to members of their own race community. It reconstructs how the universal ethics of humanism got turned upside down and replaced with the particularistic selective racial ethics and the pragmatics of eugenics and racial exterminatory politics. Traditional values regarding human life, based on the idea of its unconditional worth, were replaced by the distinction between life worthy of being promoted and life unworthy of being lived. It shows how ordinary Germans became willing executioners of criminal and immoral deeds. Neither did they act without any moral orientation nor in the awareness that what they were doing was morally reprehensible. As perpetrators with a clear conscience they were convinced that the humiliation, persecution, deportation and, finally, killing of the Jews was the right thing to do.

They call the cultural truth the moral truth because:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kohlberg's_stages_of_moral_development#Conventional

Conventional

The conventional level of moral reasoning is typical of adolescents and adults. To reason in a conventional way is to judge the morality of actions by comparing them to society's views and expectations.
The conventional level consists of the third and fourth stages of moral development. Conventional morality is characterized by an acceptance of society's conventions concerning right and wrong. At this level an individual obeys rules and follows society's norms even when there are no consequences for obedience or disobedience. Adherence to rules and conventions is somewhat rigid, however, and a rule's appropriateness or fairness is seldom questioned.[7][8][9]

An example of the activation of the DMN resulting in different reasoning than the activation of the TPN:

https://philiaresearch.wordpress.co...ownplay-their-attraction-to-adolescent-girls/

A new study of Bulgarian men has replicated a previous 2013 experiment on British men. In both studies, the same photographs of adolescent girls (Tanner stages 3-4) were shown to one group of men labelled as age 14-15, and a different set of men labelled as age 16-17. Subjects reported more sexual attraction when the photographs were labelled as 16-17. The researchers conclude:

[T]he consistent finding that the same photographs of younger females, but with different age labels, were assigned significantly different levels of attractiveness suggests that cognitive factors beyond biologically driven sexual attraction were involved in making these ratings. In all the three samples, apparently younger girls were rated as less attractive than older girls despite being the same photographs. We hypothesize that this difference reflects some self-censoring mechanism involved in making such judgments. This may involve a form of comparison between participants’ own sexual attraction to the individual girl and the likely social norms surrounding this judgment.

This finding has now been replicated across four samples, including one that is yet to be reported.

Another example involves the ability of adherents to one religious faith to recognize the absurdity in the scripture of other faiths:

http://www.mrm.org/coriantumr-and-shiz

Can a decapitated body lift itself up and gasp for breath? The Book of Mormon seems to say so. The story is found in the Book of Ether and recounts a sword fight between a Jaredite king named Coriantumr (Ether 12:1) and Shiz, the brother of Lib (Ether 14:17).

As the story goes, Lib was killed in a battle with Coriantumr’s army. As a result, Shiz followed Coriantumr in vengeful pursuit, burning cities and killing women and children along the way. Finally the two armies met near the seashore and gave battle for three days. After the third battle, Shiz wounded Coriantumr with “many deep wounds,” and he had to be “carried away as though he were dead.”

After recovering from his wounds, Coriantumr began to feel bad over the fact that “there had been slain two millions of mighty men, and also their wives and their children.” He attempted to make peace with Shiz, but Shiz agreed only if he would be allowed to kill Coriantumr with his own sword. Well, this only infuriated Coriantumr’s people, and so the fighting started all over again.

Eventually the armies meet. For several days men, women, and children fight relentlessly until only Coriantumr and Shiz remain. Ether 15:29 states that in the course of the battle, “Shiz had fainted with the loss of blood.” Taking advantage of the situation, Coriantumr took his sword and “smote off the head of Shiz.” But that isn’t the end. Verse 31 reports that “after he had smitten off the head of Shiz, that Shiz raised upon his hands and fell; and after that he had struggled for breath, he died.” The question is, how can a man without a head raise himself and also struggle for breath?

While failing to identify equally unlikely elements in their own religious scriptures:

https://www.thoughtco.com/jonah-and-the-whale-700202

Jonah was in the giant fish three days. God commanded the whale, and it vomited the reluctant prophet onto dry land. This time Jonah obeyed God. He walked through Nineveh proclaiming that in forty days the city would be destroyed. Surprisingly, the Ninevites believed Jonah's message and repented, wearing sackcloth and covering themselves in ashes.

The reason for this is that the Task Positive Network is capable of rational, analytical thought:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/154f/9a7fb5f1ee00c34f2d918db9825ca5b09f17.pdf

System 1 has been variously characterized as 'intuitive', 'emotion-driven' and 'experiential'; whereas System 2 has been characterized as, 'controlled', 'rule-based', 'rational' and 'analytic'. We know of two lines of work which link cognitive neuroscience to this classical form of dual process theory:one which looks at logical reasoning (Goel and Dolan, 2003), the other moral judgments (Greene et al., 2004). Both identify areas in the DMN and TPN associated with System 1 and System 2 reasoning respectively. Hence, the link between dual-process theories of cognition and the DMN vs.TPN dichotomy appears worthy of further investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_process_theory

System 2 in humans

System 2 is evolutionarily recent and specific to humans.
It is also known as the explicit system, the rule-based system, the rational system,[12] or the analytic system.[16] It performs the more slow and sequential thinking. It is domain-general, performed in the central working memory system. Because of this, it has a limited capacity and is slower than System 1 which correlates it with general intelligence. It is known as the rational system because it reasons according to logical standards.[16] Some overall properties associated with System 2 are that it is rule-based, analytic, controlled, demanding of cognitive capacity, and slow.[12]

Engaging culturally pertinent stimuli cause the deactivation of the task positive network in the neurotypical population:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0149989

Engaging social stimuli are associated with activation of the DMN and deactivation of the TPN, whereas analytic problems are associated with activation of the TPN and deactivation of the DMN.

Leaving them with neural activity reminiscent of anosognosic schizophrenia:

The DMN is involved with processes of self-reflection, social cognition, and mind-wandering. Hyperconnectivity has been noted in the DMN of individuals at high risk for developing schizophrenia.

Whitfield-Gabrieli et al39 studied patients with schizophrenia; young, at-risk, first-degree relatives; and unaffected controls using fMRI during alternating conditions of wakeful rest and a focused working memory task. While the unaffected controls showed predictable deactivation of DMN during active task, the patients and relatives showed diminished deactivation, as well as greater activity in right DLPFC. This finding has essentially been replicated twice by two other research groups.

The results showed a correlation between insight as measured by the BCIS self-reflectiveness index and lower gray matter volume in the right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (VLPFC). The VLPFC is involved in working memory and decision making. The findings suggest that a reduced VLPFC volume corresponds with a diminished capacity to entertain alternative explanations about one’s misperceptions leading to impairment in awareness of illness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...s#Ventrolateral_prefrontal_cortex_.28vlPFC.29

The ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (vlPFC) is a subdivision of the prefrontal cortex. Its involvement in modulating existing behavior and emotional output given contextual demands has been studied extensively using cognitive reappraisal studies and emotion-attention tasks. Cognitive reappraisal studies indicate the vlFPC’s role in reinterpreting stimuli, and reducing or augmenting responses. Studies using emotion-attention tasks demonstrate the vlFPC’s function in ignoring emotional distractions while the brain is engaged in performing other tasks.[6]

Essentially, the false reality frames are deactivating their evolutionarily modern cognition's neural substrate and leaving them conceptually isolated in a dream like fantasy world:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rrelates_of_Insight_in_Dreaming_and_Psychosis

To summarize, the empirical findings reviewed here constitute
neurobiological evidence of the theoretical idea that dreaming
indeed might serve as a model of psychosis
: cortical, in particular
prefrontal, medial parietal and inferior temporal regions that are
linked to insight problems in psychosis show striking overlap with
brain regions in which activation increases during dreaming are
associated with the gain of insight into the current state of mind
(see Fig. 3). From a network point of view, schizophrenia patients
show disconnectivity within the frontoparietal network and
stronger connectivity within the default mode network
[79,80], with the exception of default mode network regions implicated in
self-referential processing, within which patients with poor insight
show decreased connectivity [56].

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00107530.2013.10746548

activity in the DMN is strongly associated with mental imagery that is not directly tied to current perception (“stimulus-independent thought”), which is also a central feature of dreams.

They are essentially socially convergently psychotic anosognosic schizophrenics, who are conceptually isolated in the make believe fantasy world of the false reality frames that deactivate their evolutionarily recent cognition's neural substrate and induce them into such a dreamlike state:

http://www.faceofmalawi.com/2017/07/religious-people-have-mental-illness-neuroscientist-warns/

The self-described atheist, who is also a neuroendocrinologist, argues that religion is comparable to a shared schizophrenia.

https://philarchive.org/archive/VANRCA-8

In this paper, I examine the relationship between social cognition and religious cognition. Many
cognitive theories of religion claim that these two forms are somehow related
, but the details are
usually left unexplored and insights from theories of social cognition are not taken on board.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...see-purpose-behind-the-events-in-their-lives/

Some experts theorize that certain schizophrenia symptoms (for instance, paranoia) arise in part from a hyperactive sense of social reasoning. “I’d guess that they’d give lots of teleological answers; more than neurotypical people, and certainly far more than people with Asperger’s,” Heywood says.

Now in some cases outbreaks of socially convergently psychotic anosognosic schizophrenia are trivial to identify:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/11/health/gang-stalking-targeted-individuals.html

A growing tribe of troubled minds

Mental health professionals say the narrative has taken hold among a group of people experiencing psychotic symptoms that have troubled the human mind since time immemorial. Except now victims are connecting on the internet, organizing and defying medical explanations for what’s happening to them.

The community, conservatively estimated to exceed 10,000 members, has proliferated since 9/11, cradled by the internet and fed by genuine concerns over government surveillance. A large number appear to have delusional disorder or schizophrenia, psychiatrists say.

Yet, the phenomenon remains virtually unresearched.

For the few specialists who have looked closely, these individuals represent an alarming development in the history of mental illness: thousands of sick people, banded together and demanding recognition on the basis of shared paranoias.

They raise money, hold awareness campaigns, host international conferences and fight for their causes in courts and legislatures

Perhaps their biggest victory came last year, when believers in Richmond, Calif., persuaded the City Council to pass a resolution banning space-based weapons that they believe could be used for mind control. A similar lobbying effort is underway in Tucson.

This is especially true when they have traditional schizophrenia that is more general rather than socioculturally triggered by select stimuli with otherwise ability to activate the task positive network. It is also particularly true when their outbreaks are largely contained, such as this example involving on the order of 10,000 or so individuals. As the outbreaks increase in size and in general maintenance of cognitive faculties other than when triggered by select false reality frames:

https://www.theverge.com/science/2017/7/13/15964628/france-vaccination-skeptic-law-vaccine-mandate

But some experts question whether a vaccination mandate will sway public opinion in France, where distrust in vaccines has risen alarmingly in recent years. In a survey published last year, 41 percent of respondents in France disagreed with the statement that vaccines are safe — the highest rate of distrust among the 67 countries that were surveyed, and more than three times higher than the global average.

https://impact.vice.com/en_us/artic...-the-anti-vaxxer-movement-with-actual-science

"It feels like we're back in the '40s when vaccines were widely contested," Professor François Chast -- a leading pro-vaccine activist and head of the Hotel-Dieu clinic in Paris - told VICE Impact. "How did we get here? The idea that all information is equal."

It can become harder to tell what is actual reality from what is what I have termed pseudoreality. I have seen and indeed there still exist to this very day numerous falsely signaled realities that enormous swathes of the population false believe are actual reality, against overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The false realities typically develop essentially lives of their own, including immune system constructs such as heresy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heresy

Heresy is any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs. A heretic is a proponent of such claims or beliefs.[1] Heresy is distinct from both apostasy, which is the explicit renunciation of one's religion, principles or cause,[2] and blasphemy, which is an impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.[3]

http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html

Heresy

This won't get us all the answers, though. What if no one happens to have gotten in trouble for a particular idea yet? What if some idea would be so radioactively controversial that no one would dare express it in public? How can we find these too?

Another approach is to follow that word, heresy. In every period of history, there seem to have been labels that got applied to statements to shoot them down before anyone had a chance to ask if they were true or not. "Blasphemy", "sacrilege", and "heresy" were such labels for a good part of western history, as in more recent times "indecent", "improper", and "unamerican" have been. By now these labels have lost their sting. They always do. By now they're mostly used ironically. But in their time, they had real force.

The word "defeatist", for example, has no particular political connotations now. But in Germany in 1917 it was a weapon, used by Ludendorff in a purge of those who favored a negotiated peace. At the start of World War II it was used extensively by Churchill and his supporters to silence their opponents. In 1940, any argument against Churchill's aggressive policy was "defeatist". Was it right or wrong? Ideally, no one got far enough to ask that.

We have such labels today, of course, quite a lot of them, from the all-purpose "inappropriate" to the dreaded "divisive." In any period, it should be easy to figure out what such labels are, simply by looking at what people call ideas they disagree with besides untrue. When a politician says his opponent is mistaken, that's a straightforward criticism, but when he attacks a statement as "divisive" or "racially insensitive" instead of arguing that it's false, we should start paying attention.

So another way to figure out which of our taboos future generations will laugh at is to start with the labels. Take a label—"sexist", for example—and try to think of some ideas that would be called that. Then for each ask, might this be true?

So in this environment of false reality frames and so forth, as previously described, it can be quite challenging to determine what is actual reality from what is a frame of a false reality.

Think it's just propaganda to control people. (((They))) are already using it as an excuse to inconvenience us with their plastic bag bans.

Part Two of what will actually be a three part post

I am not sure whether the mainstream climate change movement's rhetoric is legitimate or if they are undergoing mass socially convergent anosognosic psychotic decompensation. I see some concerning things regarding the climate change movement. Firstly, it should be noted that the IPCC, which is widely considered the authoritative source on the topic by the adherents to the climate change movement, itself allows for approximately a slightly less than 5% probability of anthropogenic climate change being incorrect.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

The role of human activity

In its Fifth Assessment Report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of 1,300 independent scientific experts from countries all over the world under the auspices of the United Nations, concluded there's a more than 95 percent probability that human activities over the past 50 years have warmed our planet.

This renders the anthropogenic nature of climate change explicitly not settled science, contrary to the claims of the adherents to the climate change movement that it is a settled matter. The fact that the IPCC suggests somewhat less than a 5% probability that human activities over the past fifty years have not warned our planet demonstrates that the consensus of the IPCC is not that this is a matter of settled science. However, the incorrectness in the claims that the matter is settled science may be akin to the incorrectness in the scoffing of representatives of the medical community to the notion that vaccines can cause deaths (as I said, a vaccine can cause severe allergic reactions in approximately one in a million individuals, and yet the rhetoric of the anti vaccination movement is nonsensical nevertheless).

Additionally, it should be noted that the United Nations is not a respectable establishment and that numerous falsely signaled reality frames have received endorsements from the United Nations:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/02/un-war-on-drugs-failure-prohibition-united-nations

The UN’s war on drugs is a failure. Is it time for a different approach?

A policy of prohibition has put the drugs trade in the hands of criminals and led to suffering for millions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32880508/...ty/t/un-expert-child-porn-internet-increases/

More than 4 million Web sites worldwide show images of children being sexually exploited, said the U.N. investigator on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography, Najat M'jid Maalla.
Maalla urged international cooperation to stop the child pornography industry, which she estimated to be worth between $3 billion and $20 billion. She recommended countries share information on sites containing child pornography in order to block them faster.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/cop_shop/article_2ee0f064-7888-11df-9e7a-001cc4c03286.html

Some law-enforcement officials contend that disrupting the companies making a profit off child pornography may only be the tip of the iceberg. Matt Dunn, of the Cyber Crimes Center at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement bureau, said that non-commercial child pornography -- images shared without money changing hands -- is more of a concern than the for-profit industry.

Swapping child porn over file-sharing networks is ongoing -- and it's usually non-commercial, Dunn said. "It's happening every second of every day," he said.

Dunn also questions the estimate that commercial child porn is a $20 billion a year industry -- a figure cited in a 2006 congressional hearing -- and instead thinks it's substantially lower, perhaps in the tens of millions of dollars.

The estimate provided by Dunn is as far as I can determine the more accurate estimation. The figures promulgated by the United Nations have allegedly been disproved, and I have largely verified this is correct in relation particularly to the 3 billion dollar claim, though I have little doubt that both of their claims are fraudulent. Libertus is down, however thankfully I saved their investigative resources (again I have little doubt of the correctness of these accounts of the matter, and have largely authenticated the history of the 3 billion dollar claim):

http://libertus.net/censor/resources/statistics-laundering.html#s3bfg

"child pornography is one of the fastest growing online businesses generating approximately $US3 billion ($3.43 billion) each year"

This '$US3 billion' figure has no credibility and even if it was factual as at January 2008, (when it appeared in an opinion article by Bernadette McMenamin, CEO of Child Wise/ ECPAT in Australia, with citing a source), then it could be regarded as 'good news' because it would mean (based on previously promulgated 'statistics') that there had been no increase at all in the five years to 2008, therefore 'child pornography' could not be "one of the fastest growing online businesses".

The '$US3 billion' figure has been promulgated far and wide since at least mid 2003, when Utah-based Jerry Ropelato commenced publishing it, without citing a source, on his web site InternetFilterReview.com, which has since become part of his TopTenReviews.com. According to Texas-based Red Orbit News (5 Nov 2006) Ropelato was "formerly chief operating officer of ContentWatch, a Salt Lake City-based developer of Internet filtering and virus protection software. He is also known locally as a speaker and presenter on Internet safety issues, and as a crusader against online pornography."[44]

The "fastest growing online businesses" claim originated with the U.S. NCMEC, in August 2005, which based its claim on the then two-year old US$3 billion 'statistic' promulgated by Ropelato. (The U.S. NCMEC has a long history of promulgating exaggerated/false statistics[45].)

The origins and history of '$US3 billion' and 'fastest growing' claims is outlined below.

June 2003 - March 2007: Since at least 21 June 2003[46], Ropelato had been claiming on his web site that "Child pornography generates $3 billion annually" (i.e. not necessarily via the Internet) without stating a source for that particular figure, or any of the many other 'pornography statistics' he promotes. Ropelato issued a press release making that and other uncredited statistical claims on 6 February 2004[47]. The claim remained on his 'Pornography Statistics' page until at least 6 March 2007[48], but had been deleted from the page by 15 March 2007[49] (according to the Internet Archive's WayBackMachine). His press release of 12 March 2007[50] which claimed to 'update' his previous 2003 uncredited 'statistics' about the 'worldwide pornography industry' did not mention child pornography. At least two journalists have attempted, without success, to ascertain sources of 'statistics' from Ropelato (see below).
29 November 2004: Australian Federal Police ("AFP") Commissioner Mick Keelty stated in a speech:[51]

Canadian estimates place the number of child pornography websites operating globally at over 100,000, generating around US$3 billion per annum

April 2005: The Wall Street Journal's "Numbers Guy", Carl Bialik, investigated the origin of an estimate attributed to 'Canadian Police'[52] and subsequently reported that he was directed by the officer-in-charge of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's National Child Exploitation Coordination Center to a 2002 magazine article and also:

to a Web site called Internet Filter Review... . My phone call to a number listed on the sites registration wasn't returned, and an e-mail to the sites contact address got bounced back to me.

18 August 2005: The U.S. National Center for Missing & Exploited Children ("NCMEC") issued a headline grabbing press release titled "Child Porn Among Fastest Growing Internet Businesses"[53] claiming:

Within only a few years, child pornography has become a multi-billion dollar commercial enterprise, and is among the fastest growing businesses on the Internet.1
1. Source: Top Ten Reviews 'Internet Filter Review' an online resource that reviews Internet Safety. (Reported that CP generates $3 billion annually)

The NCMEC's media release provided no source or grounds for their 'fastest growing' business claim other than the footnote mention of Ropelato's then two-year old uncredited US$3 billion 'statistic' (which did not mention the Internet). Hence, there was no basis for the claim (in 2005, nor its repetition in 2008) that the so-called "commercial enterprise" is growing at all, let alone is "among the fastest growing".
September 2007: A research report published by the Australian Institute of Criminology ("AIC"), a Commonwealth statutory authority, stated[54]:

Affordable technology has greatly facilitated the production and distribution of child pornography - a multi-billion dollar industry globally. [Introduction, page xx]
TopTenREVIEWS™ has estimated that child pornography generates approximately US$3 billion annually worldwide (Ropelato 2007). [page 62]
Ropelato J 2007. Internet pornography statistics. Internet Filter Review.

Ropelato is the only source cited in the above AIC report for its "multi-billion dollar industry" claim.
8 January 2008: An opinion article by Bernadette McMenamin, CEO of Child Wise/ECPAT in Australia, published in The Australian national newspaper, stated[55]:

Child pornography is one of the fastest growing online businesses generating approximately $US3 billion ($3.43 billion) each year.

In addition to The Wall Street Journal's "Numbers Guy", Carl Bialik (as referenced earlier herein), at least one other journalist has tried, also without success, to find out the original source of particular 'statistics' Ropelato promotes, after tracing other peoples'/organisations' claims to Ropelato. In November 2005, Seth Lubove reported:

...Sen. [Blanche] Lincoln lifted the factoid from a report issued in July by Third Way, a new Washington think tank that helps Democrats grab on to red-state issues. ...
Where did Third Way get that notion? From a May 12 story in the New York Times-owned Boston Globe headlined "The Secret Life of Boys," which cites an outfit called Family Safe Media. The small firm in Provo, Utah, is in the business of scaring parents into buying software to protect their kids from Internet smut. Jared Martin, who owns Family Safe Media, says he got his porn statistics from Internet Filter Review, a Web site that recommends content-blocking software. It is run by tech entrepreneur Jerry Ropelato of Huntsville, Utah, who pens antiporn screeds, such as "Tricks Pornographers Play," and publishes curious and uncredited stats (for example, "17% of all women struggle with pornography addiction").

"Most of the statistics there have come from literally hundreds of sources, all reputable," Ropelato insists. He says he got the age-11 item from The Drug of the New Millennium, a book about the dangers of porn self-published in 2000 by Mark Kastleman, a self-professed former porn addict in Orem, Utah, who counsels other porn fiends. "I don't remember where I got that from," Kastleman says breezily. "That is a very common statistic." And there the trail goes cold.

"child pornography is a $20 billion industry worldwide"

This out-of-date/discredited $20 billion 'statistic' was given new life in March 2008 when it appeared in Australian media reports as a result of a joint media release between the Australian Federal Police and Microsoft. The statistic was disowned in April 2006 by the organisations to which it had been, and still is being, attributed (i.e. the FBI and Unicef).

The history of this number is outlined below.

23 December 2004: A Council of Europe report titled "Organised crime situation report 2004, Provisional"[57] stated:

Experts assume that the number of Web sites containing child pornography has grown enormously in recent years. According to estimations by UNICEF, this market has a business volume of about $20 billion annually

September 2005: ECPAT International (based in Thailand) issued a report, Violence against Children in Cyberspace[58], which claimed:

The production and distribution of abuse images of children is big business, estimated to be worth billions of dollars a year. Estimates of annual business volume range widely from $US3 billion to $US20 billion (the latter, according to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation).

(The ECPAT report provides no source for the $US3 billion figure - presumably Ropelato, as detailed earlier herein.)

5 April 2006: Texas Republican Joe Barton, (as Chairman, U.S. House of Representatives' Committee on Energy and Commerce), issued a press release[59] which claimed:

Child pornography is apparently a multibillion...my staff analysis says $20 billion-a-year business. Twenty billion dollars.

5 April 2006: A New York Times article[60]attributed the entire claimed amount to the Internet:

the sexual exploitation of children on the Internet is a $20 billion industry.

April 2006: The FBI and Unicef disowned the US$20 billion number.
7 March 2008: A joint media release between the Australian Federal Police and Microsoft[61] and articles in The Australian IT[62] and ComputerWorld (AU)[63] claimed:

The FBI estimates that the production and distribution of child abuse images is valued at US$20 billion ($21.6 billion) annually.

5 June 2008: During an interview by Radio 2GB's Phillip Clarke about Operation Centurion, James McCormack (head of the AFP's High Tech Crime Operations)[64] claimed:

The FBI did a study a couple of years ago and they estimated the commercial child pornography industry was probably valued at anywhere between about three to twenty billion dollars of commercial activity per year, so it's a pretty signficant industry.

As a result of the April 2006 publicity, two U.S. journalists investigated the source of the $20 billion figure and reported their findings in:

"Measuring the Child-Porn Trade", Carl Bialik, The Numbers Guy, The Wall Street Journal Online, 18 April 2006[65]
"How big is the online kiddie porn industry?", Daniel Radosh, radosh.net, freelance journalist, 5 April 2006[66]

In short, the trail to the origin of the claimed $20 billion 'statistic' went from Joe Barton's press release/staff analysis, to the U.S. National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), to 'McKinsey Worldwide', to the ECPAT International 2005 publication (mentioned above) which claimed "...$US20 billion (the latter, according to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation)"[67].

WSJ Numbers Guy, Carl Bialik, reported his findings from following the above trail in April 2006:

...Mr. [Ernie] Allen [CEO, NCMEC] faxed me an NCMEC paper that cites the McKinsey study in placing the child-porn industry at $6 billion in 1999, and $20 billion in 2004.

But a McKinsey spokesman painted a different picture for me: "The number was not calculated or generated by McKinsey," he wrote in an email. Instead, for a pro bono analysis for Standard Chartered, he said, McKinsey used a number that appeared in a report last year by End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes, an international advocacy group. [i.e. ECPAT, which attributed the number to the FBI]

FBI spokesman Paul Bresson told me in an email, "The FBI has not stated the $20 billion figure... . I have asked many people who would know for sure if we have attached the $20 billion number to this problem. I have scoured our Web site, too. Nothing!"

I went back to the NCMEC Monday and shared what I found. In an email response, spokeswoman Joann Donnellan said, "If it is determined that this ends up not being a reliable statistic, NCMEC will stop citing McKinsey as the source and will also stop citing a specific number. Rather, NCMEC will revert to what it has said previously... that commercial child pornography is a multi-billion dollar industry."

This isn't the first number from the NCMEC that struck me as questionable... As I wrote last year...

Source: "Measuring the Child-Porn Trade", Carl Bialik, The Wall Street Journal Online, 18 April 2006[68]

Fifteen months later, Ernie Allen of the NCMEC was still citing McKinsey as source. On 24 July 2007 he told the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation that: "A recent report by McKinsey Worldwide estimated that today commercial child pornography is a multi-billion-dollar industry worldwide, fueled by the Internet."[69].

The $20 billion figure was also found by Carl Bialik in a Council of Europe 2004 report which attributed the number to Unicef. Bialik subsequently reported on 27 Apr 2006:

...But Allison Hickling, a spokeswoman for the United Nations child agency, told me in an email, "The number is not attributable to Unicef -- we do not collect data on this issue."

I told Alexander Seger, who worked on the Council of Europe reports, that the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Unicef, both cited in Council reports, said they weren't the source for the $20 billion figure. He said the Council won't use the number in the future, and added in an email, "I think we have what I would call a case of information laundering: You state a figure on something, somebody else [says] it, and then you and others [saying] it back, and thus it becomes clean and true. ... Perhaps this discussion will help instill more rigor in the future."

Source: Carl Bialik, The Numbers Guy, The Wall Street Journal Online, 27 Apr 2006[70]

In summary, the US$20 billion figure has been invented by some unknown person/organisation and since then been commonly attributed to the FBI or Unicef, both of which said in April 2006 that the 'statistic' did not originate with them.

The writer considers the fixation among advocacy groups and the media with attaching a dollar number to the problem is curious given commercial/monetary 'estimates' (or even factual statistics if it were possible to obtain same) are of minimal relevance to understanding or determining the extent of the problem. This is because a significant amount, possibly most, of the trade in child sexual abuse images takes place at no cost via Usenet newsgroups, IRC (Internet Relay Chat), Instant Messaging, P2P technologies, email, etc. The images themselves, not money, are the trading currency. Extensive information about the nature of the non-commercial trade is available in the book: Beyond tolerance : child pornography on the Internet by Philip Jenkins. New York University Press, 2001. ISBN: 0814742629.

Non-commercial criminal activity was referred to during an AFP media briefing about 'Operation Centurion' (June 2008) which concerned a legitimate web site that had been broken into for the purpose of uploading illegal images to it:

Journalist: The people who put these images up on a site, are they getting paid, [...inaudible...], where's the economic benefit?

AFP Andrew Colvin: We're not talking about a crime that's driven by a financial motive, there's other motivations here. So, while there may be some sites that attract a financial return, that's not the motivation here. So the answer to your question is no really, that's not what's motivating people, people aren't necessarily making a lot of money.

So given the poor track record of the United Nations, I certainly don't see an endorsement from them as carrying any authority or quality. If any thing I find the fact that the IPCC operates under the banner of the United Nations to be cause for concern, seeing as things such as the War on Drugs and the Sex Hysteria operate under the banned of the United Nations despite being based on collections of false reality frames.

Secondly, it should be noted that numerous seemingly academically credentialed scientists have asserted that the climate change movement is essentially a 20th century religious establishment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Giaever#Global_warming

Ivar Giaever (Norwegian: Giæver, IPA: [ˈiːvɑr ˈjeːvər]; born April 5, 1929) is a Norwegian-American physicist who shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1973 with Leo Esaki and Brian Josephson "for their discoveries regarding tunnelling phenomena in solids".[1]
Giaever has repeatedly professed skepticism of global warming, calling it a "new religion."[10][11][11][12]

In a featured story in Norway's largest newspaper, Aftenposten, 26 June 2011, Giaever stated, "It is amazing how stable temperature has been over the last 150 years."[13]

On 13 September 2011, Giaever resigned from the American Physical Society over its official position. The APS Fellow noted: "In the APS it is ok to discuss whether the mass of the proton changes over time and how a multi-universe behaves, but the evidence of global warming is incontrovertible?"[14]

As part of the 62nd Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting, Giaever commented on the significance of the apparent rise in temperature when he stated, "What does it mean that the temperature has gone up 0.8 degrees Kelvin: probably nothing." Referring to the selection of evidence in his presentation, Giaever stated "I pick and choose when I give this talk just the way the previous speaker (Mario Molina) picked and chose when he gave his talk." Giaever concluded his presentation with a pronouncement: "Is climate change pseudoscience? If I'm going to answer the question, the answer is: absolutely."[15][16]
""I am a skeptic… Global warming has become a new religion." – Nobel Prize Winner for Physics, Ivar Giaever."

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/climate-change-richard-lindzen-cult-global-warming-1484852

An MIT professor has likened believing in global warming to being in a "cult" and having "fanatical" beliefs.

Professor emeritus Richard Lindzen, a well-known climate change denier, was speaking on a radio show about how he believes there is a religious nature to the belief in global warming.

"As with any cult, once the mythology of the cult begins falling apart, instead of saying, oh, we were wrong, they get more and more fanatical. I think that's what's happening here. Think about it,"

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/5-scientists-skeptical-climate-change

Dr. Happer, Professor Emeritus of physics at Princeton University, earned his Ph.D. in physics from his alma mater. He worked as a professor at Columbia University and served as the Director of the Department of Energy’s Office of Science under George H. W. Bush before returning to Princeton.

Earlier this year, Dr. Happer commented to The Guardian that he thinks “There’s a whole area of climate so-called science that is really more like a cult. It’s like Hare Krishna or something like that. They’re glassy-eyed and they chant. It will potentially harm the image of all science.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121486841811817591

Last week marked the 20th anniversary of the mass hysteria phenomenon known as global warming. Much of the science has since been discredited. Now it's time for political scientists, theologians and psychiatrists to weigh in.

This wsj article is arguing against it being a mass hysteria, however it is notable that it has been characterized as in the cluster of mass socially convergent psychotic decompensatory conditions characteristic of pseudoreality (I personally believe it has lasted too long to properly be labeled as a mass hysteria, however).

This is concerning to me as movements such as the anti vaccination movement, the drug war, and the sex cult, are properly classified as 20th century establishments of religion due to the fact that the believers in them are expressing socially convergent anosognosic schizophrenic psychotic decompensation in which they've mistaken frames signaled of a false reality as being correlated to the state of actual existence due to the false reality frames deactivating their task positive networks via activating their anti-correlated default mode networks:

http://www.faceofmalawi.com/2017/07/religious-people-have-mental-illness-neuroscientist-warns/

The self-described atheist, who is also a neuroendocrinologist, argues that religion is comparable to a shared schizophrenia.

I have seen in numerous instances individuals believing that they are supported by science despite the fact that legitimate scientists have disproved their belief systems. One example of this is the anti vaccination movement with the scientifically refuted hypothesis that thiomersal in vaccines will cause autism:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/dailydose/12/04/autism.mercury/

Years ago, people made predictions -- by removing thimerosal, the number of cases of autism should decrease -- therefore showing that thimerosal is a cause of autism. This new study puts that idea in jeopardy. Similar studies have been done in Canada and Denmark with the same results: thimerosal was removed, but autism is still on the rise. This is a strong message; it very clearly shows, and reassures, that autism did not arrive through a vaccine.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20010423/autism-mmr-vaccine-link

Both the CDC and the National Institutes of Health asked the Immunization Review Safety Committee to evaluate the autism-MMR connection. The IOM committee then reached its conclusion about MMR and autism, which is similar to the conclusions made by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization.

After reviewing the existing literature, the panel could find no biological mechanism for the vaccine-disease relationship, nor could members justify the theory that a viral infection like measles, triggered by the vaccine, could produce bowel inflammation that may leak into a person's system and produce a kind of brain poisoning.

http://jhppl.dukejournals.org/content/37/1/69.short

The last dozen years have seen a massive transnational mobilization of the legal, political, and research communities in response to the worrisome hypothesis that vaccines could have a link to childhood autism and other developmental conditions. Vaccine critics, some already organized and some composed of newly galvanized parents, developed an alternate world of internally legitimating studies, blogs, conferences, publications, and spokespeople to affirm a connection.

As I have noted above, there is indeed a complex community of researchers, journals, and articles to point to, facts to recite, conferences to attend, and professional groups to connect with that supply a great deal of internal legitimacy

Another is the Sex Cult with the scientifically refuted hypothesis that the viewing of child pornography will cause increases to the child sexual abuse rate:

https://www.pathtojustice.com/blog/mashas-law-allows-civil-lawsuits-for-child-pornography-victims/

Therefore, as these graphic sexual images populate and spread, we can unfortunately predict there will be more child sexual abuse.

This peer reviewed scientific journal article is silently censored in at least Germany, so use a proxy if need be:

https://www.springer.com/about+springer/media/springer+select?SGWID=0-11001-6-1042321-0

Could making child pornography legal lead to lower rates of child sex abuse? It could well do, according to a new study by Milton Diamond, from the University of Hawaii, and colleagues.
Results from the Czech Republic showed, as seen everywhere else studied (Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Finland, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sweden, USA), that rape and other sex crimes have not increased following the legalization and wide availability of pornography. And most significantly, the incidence of child sex abuse has fallen considerably since 1989, when child pornography became readily accessible – a phenomenon also seen in Denmark and Japan. Their findings are published online today in Springer’s journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.
The findings support the theory that potential sexual offenders use child pornography as a substitute for sex crimes against children

http://unh.edu/ccrc/pdf/CV204 CP possessors.pdf

One concern is that the accessibility of online CP has caused increases in child
sexual abuse. Some research suggests that CP may trigger sexual abuse by activating
and validating sexual urges in CP viewers that were previously suppressed or con-
trolled (Beech et al., 2008; Quayle & Taylor, 2003; Wilson & Jones, 2008). There is no
evidence of increasing abuse in the United States, however. In fact, rates of child sexual
abuse have declined substantially since the mid-1990s, a time period that corresponds
to the spread of CP online.
Statistics from U.S. child protective service agencies show
that from 1992 to 2007, child sexual abuse declined 53% (Jones & Finkelhor, 2009),
including interfamilial abuse (Finkelhor & Jones, 2006). Evidence of this decline also
comes from victim self-report surveys and U.S. criminal justice system data (Finkelhor
& Jones, 2008; Finkelhor, Turner, Ormrod, & Hamby, 2010), as well as the child pro-
tective services data collection system. The fact that this trend is revealed in multiple
sources tends to undermine arguments that it is because of reduced reporting or changes
in investigatory or statistical procedures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tes-BAN-shipments-CHILD-sex-dolls-robots.html

Some scientist are actually claiming that child sex dolls may reduce pedophilia.

'To the contrary, these dolls create a real risk of reinforcing pedophilic behavior and they desensitize the user causing him to engage in sicker and sicker behavior,' Goodlatte stated.

Note that Goodlatte is a politician rather than a scientist. Legitimate scientists don't support the Sex Cult, only fraudulent charlatans support the Sex Cult:

https://rsoresearch.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/butner_study_debunking_kit.pdf

Nevertheless, Dr. Hernandez privately
distributed his study widely, without peer review or any
other oversight, and thus bypassed normal opportunities for
either scientific validation or refutation by experts in the field
of sexual offender diagnosis and treatment.
He distributed his
study to a limited but very receptive audience nationally
(and later internationally, specifically Great Britain), including
law enforcement officials and agencies, the Federal Bureau of
Investigation (FBI), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and state
and federal prosecutors.
But it was the policy makers who especially welcomed the
study‘s implications.

http://jaapl.org/content/42/4/404

From both a clinical and an actuarial statistical perspective, an early retrospective study conducted at a Federal Civil Commitment Facility in Butner, North Carolina, inferred an association between accessing child pornography and hands-on sexual offending.3 That study has been criticized regarding its methodology and lack of scientific rigor.4 More recent prospective data have questioned the contention that there is a correlation between accessing child pornography and hands-on offending.5 For example, one such study found that less than one percent of 231 men who had viewed child pornography (but with no evidence of a prior hands-on sexual offense) had gone on to commit a hands-on sexual offense.6 From a purely statistical standpoint (all else being equal) individuals with no history of a hands-on sexual offense against a child, but who have accessed child pornography, are at low risk as a group of committing a hands-on sexual offense in the future.5

So I have seen this phenomenon whereby the mythology of one of these outbreaks of socially convergent anosognosic schizophrenics is scientifically refuted, and yet they maintain their belief in the collections of fiction materials of their make believe fantasy world (oftentimes still believing that their fiction materials are actually scientific evidence).

Now, there are seemingly valid claims that there are very many scientific journal articles in support of the mainstream rhetoric of the climate change movement. However, the degree of scientific consensus on the matter is actually less than is commonly asserted, though I do believe that substantial majorities of researchers in the pertinent areas are leaning toward the climate change movement rather than away from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveys_of_scientists'_views_on_climate_change

In 2007, Harris Interactive surveyed 489 randomly selected members of either the American Meteorological Society or the American Geophysical Union for the Statistical Assessment Service (STATS) at George Mason University. The survey found 97% agreed that global temperatures have increased during the past 100 years; 84% say they personally believe human-induced warming is occurring, and 74% agree that "currently available scientific evidence" substantiates its occurrence. Only 5% believe that human activity does not contribute to greenhouse warming; 41% say they thought the effects of global warming would be near catastrophic over the next 50–100 years; 44% say said effects would be moderately dangerous; 13% saw relatively little danger; 56% say global climate change is a mature science; 39% say it is an emerging science.[30][31]

One of the questions asked in the survey was "To what extent do you agree or disagree that climate change is mostly the result of anthropogenic causes?", with a value of 1 indicating strongly agree and a value of 7 indicating strongly disagree.[34] The results showed a mean of 3.62, with 50 responses (9.4%) indicating "strongly agree" and 54 responses (9.7%) indicating "strongly disagree". The same survey indicates a 72% to 20% endorsement of the IPCC reports as accurate, and a 15% to 80% rejection of the thesis that "there is enough uncertainty about the phenomenon of global warming that there is no need for immediate policy decisions."

In 2014, Bart Verheggen of the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency surveyed 1,868 climate scientists. They found that, consistent with other research, the level of agreement on anthropogenic causation correlated with expertise - 90% of those surveyed with more than 10 peer-reviewed papers related to climate (just under half of survey respondents) explicitly agreed that human production of greenhouse gases was the main cause of global warming.[3]

This is a strong quality signal in favor of the legitimacy of the climate change movement's rhetoric, however it is not as strong of a signal as the signalers regarding the matter typically make it out to be with seemingly exaggerated claims of consensus and certainty (despite the accurate claims of consensus and certainty still being substantially in their favor)

However:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Gray

Following Gray's retirement from CSU's faculty, he became a controversial figure in the discussion on climate change,[11] particularly his stance against anthropogenic global warming.[16] Gray was skeptical of current theories of human-induced global warming, which he said is supported by scientists afraid of losing grant funding[17]

I have witnessed this parasitic grant based behavior in moral panics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retracted_article_on_dopaminergic_neurotoxicity_of_MDMA

In an interview in The Scientist[13] British scientists Colin Blakemore and Leslie Iversen described how they expressed concerns about the article with editors at Science. "It's an outrageous scandal," Iversen told The Scientist. "It's another example of a certain breed of scientist who appear to do research on illegal drugs mainly to show what the governments want them to show. They extract large amounts of grant money from the government to do this sort of biased work."

Upon results of the review, Research Triangle Institute asserted it was impossible the vials had been mislabeled as all other vials in suspect lots were properly labeled by labeling machines and it was not possible some vials had been mislabeled while others had not as the machines use printed rolls of labels. Many have asserted Ricaurte switched the labels in order to insure the continuation of funding and his results were fraudulent rather than mistaken. NIDA and AAAS are also suspected of aiding in the fraud.[14]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../27/lies-damned-lies-and-sex-work-statistics/

Despite plenty of evidence of the harm caused by criminalization, there’s still a tremendous amount of money in representing it as the “cure” for a situation it actually exacerbates. In an interview last May, Michael Horowitz, a fellow at the conservative Hudson Institute who led efforts to pass the federal Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000, told the Las Vegas Review Journal that the anti-trafficking movement has become more about securing grants for research than protecting victims. “Now it’s just one big federal entitlement program,” he said, “and everybody is more worried about where they’re going to get their next grant.”

Indeed, although it is true that there are I believe thousands of academic citations lending credibility to the climate change movement, one must keep in mind that:

https://erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_health4.shtml

The Albert Hofmann collection contains nearly seventy articles on the topic of whether or not LSD-25 causes "chromosome damage". These articles are a good example of the scientific and cultural moral panic that took place in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
The progression of this issue and its related articles is a perfect example of how dozens of journal references supporting one position may still be wrong. In many cases, only time and the evolution of knowledge can sort it out.

Now I believe the climate change movement has more than dozens of citations in support of their rhetoric, yet in the modern globalized era it is predicted that moral panics will be of larger scale than they historically were.

Climate change is just one of many communist lie's.