Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Catholicism is similar to shia Islam, and Protestants are similar to sunnis

comradespiderman29

comradespiderman29

أنا أحب الكباب
★★★★★
Something I have noticed. (Copied from an article, because, I'm too tired to type)

Catholicism is headed by the Pope, unlike Protestantism or other forms of Christianity, which are much more de-centralized. Similarly, Shi’ism is led by several religious clerics called Ayatollahs, whereby religious authority is vested in the most learned spiritual leaders akin to the Catholic Pope and Cardinals. There is no such hierarchy of the clergy in Sunni Islam on the other hand. Furthermore, in Catholicism, the Bible is largely interpreted by religious authorities such as priests, whereas Protestantism and non-denominational Christians allow for open interpretation and personal study of the bible. Likewise, Shi’ism holds a high regard for religious authority and their interpretation of Islamic law, while Sunni Muslims’ relationship with God is direct and generally not prescribed by a religious leader.

Moreover, religious doctrine and tradition is much more apparent in both Roman Catholicism and Shi’ism. As someone who was raised Catholic, I can tell you that going to mass every Sunday was quite dogmatic and riddled with customs; the recitations and proceedings are virtually the same at each mass, unlike those in other Christian denominations. Shi’ism is also more grounded in tradition, and its religious practices are more doctrinal than Sunni Muslims. For example, Shi’ism is more devoted to “imams”, whom they believe are direct descendents of the Prophet Muhammad and are seen as infallible and pure, similar to the way in which Catholics revere saints. Furthermore, during prayer, Shi’ites are taught to place a tiny tablet of clay brought from a holy place on the spot where their forehead will touch the ground (unlike in the Sunni tradition) which can be likened to the Catholic act of symbolically eating and drinking the body and blood of Christ, respectively.

So, while theologically different, Catholicism and Shi’ism have many commonalities, which many would not expect. In our increasingly interconnected yet still heavily sectarian world, however, it has become more and more important to establish a mutual understanding of and respect for those of different faiths. Identifying a common ground between two seemingly disparate things, in my opinion, is a great place to start.

Last edited:
@Moroccancel
@Anarcho Nihilist

Makes sense to me.

This does make sense

Something I have noticed. (Copied from an article, because, I'm too tired to type)

Catholicism is headed by the Pope, unlike Protestantism or other forms of Christianity, which are much more de-centralized. Similarly, Shi’ism is led by several religious clerics called Ayatollahs, whereby religious authority is vested in the most learned spiritual leaders akin to the Catholic Pope and Cardinals. There is no such hierarchy of the clergy in Sunni Islam on the other hand. Furthermore, in Catholicism, the Bible is largely interpreted by religious authorities such as priests, whereas Protestantism and non-denominational Christians allow for open interpretation and personal study of the bible. Likewise, Shi’ism holds a high regard for religious authority and their interpretation of Islamic law, while Sunni Muslims’ relationship with God is direct and generally not prescribed by a religious leader.

Moreover, religious doctrine and tradition is much more apparent in both Roman Catholicism and Shi’ism. As someone who was raised Catholic, I can tell you that going to mass every Sunday was quite dogmatic and riddled with customs; the recitations and proceedings are virtually the same at each mass, unlike those in other Christian denominations. Shi’ism is also more grounded in tradition, and its religious practices are more doctrinal than Sunni Muslims. For example, Shi’ism is more devoted to “imams”, whom they believe are direct descendents of the Prophet Muhammad and are seen as infallible and pure, similar to the way in which Catholics revere saints. Furthermore, during prayer, Shi’ites are taught to place a tiny tablet of clay brought from a holy place on the spot where their forehead will touch the ground (unlike in the Sunni tradition) which can be likened to the Catholic act of symbolically eating and drinking the body and blood of Christ, respectively.

So, while theologically different, Catholicism and Shi’ism have many commonalities, which many would not expect. In our increasingly interconnected yet still heavily sectarian world, however, it has become more and more important to establish a mutual understanding of and respect for those of different faiths. Identifying a common ground between two seemingly disparate things, in my opinion, is a great place to start.
Sunnis are a fairly broad concept - Wahhabis are really Islamic Protestants who began the reformation in Saudi Arabia in the 18th century, when Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab tried to exclude from Islam everything that got into it over 10 centuries through traditions, superstitions, in order to pass to Islam of the 7th century as it was under the Prophet Muhammad and his companions

Sunnis are a fairly broad concept - Wahhabis are really Islamic Protestants who began the reformation in Saudi Arabia in the 18th century, when Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab tried to exclude from Islam everything that got into it over 10 centuries through traditions, superstitions, in order to pass to Islam of the 7th century as it was under the Prophet Muhammad and his companion

Sunnis are a fairly broad concept - Wahhabis are really Islamic Protestants who began the reformation in Saudi Arabia in the 18th century, when Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab tried to exclude from Islam everything that got into it over 10 centuries through traditions, superstitions, in order to pass to Islam of the 7th century as it was under the Prophet Muhammad and his companions
More like recuperating hanbali madhab and athari aqeedah after centuries of Ottoman domination and their degenerated maturidi aqeedah.

Last edited:
Agreed. And I would say Ahmadis/Qadianis are like Mormons.

Likewise, Shi’ism holds a high regard for religious authority and their interpretation of Islamic law, while Sunni Muslims’ relationship with God is direct and generally not prescribed by a religious leader.
From what I observed back in my Islam phase (for clarification, I was never actually Muslim but was interested in converting), Sunnis do actually value the opinion of religious authority a lot. A lot of the traditional Sunni Muslims I observed tend to trust the interpretations of big-name scholars over their own since a lot of people who try to interpret Islamic material on their own make bid’ah (ex: libtarded Muslims who interpret the story of Lut as condemning rape, not faggotry)

Last edited:
From what I observed back in my Islam phase (never actually converted but was interested in doing so), Sunnis do actually value the opinion of religious authority a lot. A lot of the traditional Sunni Muslims I observed tend to trust the interpretations of big-name scholars over their own since a lot of people who have their own interpretations of Islamic material will make bid’ah (ex: libtarded Muslims who interpret the story of Lut as condemning rape, not faggotry)
For sunnis rulings are prescribed by religious authorities, of which there are many schools of thought + anyone can study and become a scholar. For shias their leaders are considered appointed by Allah. This has led to some imams saying contradicting things, and when that happens shias can just pick and choose between whatever they like.

More like recuperating hanbali madhab and athari aqeedah after centuries of Ottoman domination and their degenerated maturidi aqeedah.
Yes, I read that Ottoman Islam was quite specific, for example they buried their sultans in or near mosques, which is a direct prohibition in Islam.

For shias their leaders are considered appointed by Allah. This has led to some imams saying contradicting things, and when that happens shias can just pick and choose between whatever they like.
I see. I wasn't aware of this previously

catholicism is similar to a shit version of islam

Shias are closer to Orthodoxy from what I have seen

Also, like the Catholics and Protestants, they fucking hate each other lmao

I think instead you are describing Salafi/ Wahhabi sect than Sunni Islam because traditional Orthodox Sunni Islam has also same kind of rituals just as Shiaism