Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Are dreams any less real than the experiences we have while awake?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8353
  • Start date
Deleted member 8353

Deleted member 8353

Former Hikikomori, Aimless Pleasure Seeker
-
Personally I don't think so, since everything we know, everything we've ever experienced, it's all our brain creating an interpretation of the things we can only assume are actually present.

Think about it like this, if you saw a shadow appear on the ground in front of you, it would give you a rough idea of the thing which is presumably behind you, however you'd only ever know the truth of it if you were to turn your head. Similarly, our sensory tools allow us to form a detailed model of the place in which we reside, however the difference here is, there is no way for you to be certain that your senses are an accurate representation of what is really there. When you reach out your hand and touch a surface, only to pull it back again, when you turn your head a certain direction to glace at something, only to look away, you can never be certain that the things you sensed will be there again if you search for them. In fact you can never be certain that you even sensed anything at all, since your brain is constructing a reality using information obtained by the senses, and we can't know the truth of the information's source. It's actually possible to willfully create phantom physical sensations if you concentrate hard enough, further bringing into question the validity of our sensory information.

The point is, your entire reality is something which you've constructed for yourself, albeit usually unintentionally. The only real difference with dreams is that they exist partitioned away from your waking experiences, and the things that happen to you within them cannot physically damage you, but that's about it. If dreams are real, then so are your mental escapes. For me it's comforting to know that anything I create for myself is no less real to me than anything else, since I'm using the same mechanisms as always, but only with actual intention rather than unconsciously.

Plato’s cave’s me

Plato’s cave’s me
Kinda, although my point and takeaway is separate from the idea itself, and the concept is slightly different tbh.

Imo Nothing is truly 'real' in a sense

there is no way for you to be certain that your senses are an accurate representation of what is really there.
In fact you can never be certain that you even sensed anything at all
If we're constructing our own realities according to sense-data, and that sense-data can't be trusted, then that conclusion itself also can't be trusted.
It leaves the entire idea incommensurable.

Dreams are less real because it's hard to simulate all 5 sensory organs when you're asleep.

How do you "taste" something in your dreams?
How do you "feel" something in your dream?
How do you "hear" something in your dream?
How do you "smell" something in your dream?
How do you "see" something in your dream?

It's all in your head, however I believe through experiences when we are awake, our body translates that and recuperates that feeling and mirrors it in your dreams, but in instances where something is unknown an abrupt stop occurs or the creativity of ones mind takes mine to conjure up the missing pieces.

As we're visual creatures, the visual cortex is responsible for everything we see in our dreams and many other area of the cortex are active, but as I'm useless on the biological composition of the human brain, I'm not even going to bother researching this, I prefer analogies.

Imagine you're on top of a 200ft building.
At some point in your life you've felt the wind running over your face and the sun shining down on your skin?
Consciously (or subconsciously) your mind created a memory of how it feels to have the face/sun shine down on your skin.
Your mind can take that experience you had; place it into the dream. This shall simulate your "dream sensory organs" thus creating the illusion that this is real. Even things like taste can be simulated I guess through past memories.

Now imagine you jump. You don't have a parachute. You're seconds away from hitting the ground.
Due to your knowledge of "death", if enough "dream sensory organs" are simulated to the point it alters your real life body (increase in heart beat etc); the logical part of your brain (frontal lobes) may receive enough stimulation to take over and make you do the logical thing - flinch in fear i.e. You wake up.

you can never be certain that the things you sensed will be there again if you search for them.
Entering the realms of Solipsism I see. What you're saying is definitely true and I agree but my brain hurts whenever I look at things from a Quantum Physics level.

The point is, your entire reality is something which you've constructed for yourself, albeit usually unintentionally. The only real difference with dreams is that they exist partitioned away from your waking experiences, and the things that happen to you within them cannot physically damage you, but that's about it. If dreams are real, then so are your mental escapes. For me it's comforting to know that anything I create for myself is no less real to me than anything else, since I'm using the same mechanisms as always, but only with actual intention rather than unconsciously.

Well-put tbh.

Looking back at my text above, I'm not sure what I was trying to get at.
I just think your dreams despite displaying incredible "similarity" to your real life experiences and being composed of knowledge, observations, feelings observed while we're awake shall remain different due to a lack of "real-world" results if that makes sense?

For example. Majority of us have never had sexual intercourse, yet a large number of us have had wet dreams. I've never made any contact with a woman whatsoever, but I recall having dreams and my interactions with the women feel so surreal and realistic. The question I always ask myself is

"How was my mind able to create such a surreal experience if I have no knowledge of the experience in real life?"

Dreams are less real because it's hard to simulate all 5 sensory organs when you're asleep.

Dreams are also way too unstable, used to luciddreamaxx and its hard to create a scenario without it going to shit after around 5-10 min because of random thoughts.

When I'm stoned, I feel I'm in a dream

Looking back at my text above, I'm not sure what I was trying to get at.
I just think your dreams despite displaying incredible "similarity" to your real life experiences and being composed of knowledge, observations, feelings observed while we're awake shall remain different due to a lack of "real-world" results if that makes sense?

For example. Majority of us have never had sexual intercourse, yet a large number of us have had wet dreams. I've never made any contact with a woman whatsoever, but I recall having dreams and my interactions with the women feel so surreal and realistic. The question I always ask myself is

"How was my mind able to create such a surreal experience if I have no knowledge of the experience in real life?"
Sex in a dream might actually be better than sex in real life, at least if the person having the dream is a virgin. Our expectation of satisfaction and enjoyment is almost always greater than what we'd actually receive, that is upon acquiring the things that we want. So I think it makes sense people who've never had sex likely believe it to be better than it actually is, and that expectation would carry over to their dreams.

Of course this is just speculation, since I've never had sex, and I can't maintain enough control over my dreams to stop pleasurable ones from changing, or just ending too quickly.