Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Any softwaredevelopercels here? What's it like?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9758
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9758

PhD in female hating
-
I'm thinking of switching my majors. I'm studying mechanical engineering currently and I don't like it much. I've been doing some coding in my free time and I think it's a career i'd be interested in pursuing.
Do you have to be smart to be just an average code monkey? I'm a pretty humble guy without much of a drive. I just want to be able to afford my own place to live and copes like vidya and gym. Don't want to ever get married or have kids so no need to worry about those expenses.

Yeah it's mostly code monkey stuff like a lot of CS.
You could probably land a good remote job.

Yeah it's mostly code monkey stuff like a lot of CS.
You could probably land a good remote job.
Is it difficult? Was studying it in college difficult?

Is it difficult? Was studying it in college difficult?
Well considering that even pajeets in India can do it, I would say that it's fairly easy.

Do you have to be smart to be just an average code monkey?

It varies, of-course.

I'll offer my input:

If you want a cozy remote job then do it. To be an ordinary code monkey doesn't require much intelligence at all. It does require getting used to a logical way of thinking, but that just takes some time. Although first I'd recommend just studying it on your own and applying to jobs by faking your experience and education. Because believe me, there are many "koding" jobs out there that could be done with a few months of self-study, but for some reason require a bachelor's degree and 2 years of experience, like mine :feelsseriously:

Also bear in mind that most dev jobs are soul-crushing as fuck and contribute NOTHING of value to the world. I anticipate that many of them will go away if the fake economy is allowed to contract, which so far seems it's starting to and accordingly many tech companies have had hiring freezes and layoffs are now starting. That's why you're better off bullshitting your way into a job ASAP or just sticking with something else.

What do you mean with this?
I mean you probably won't be working on something new and interesting, you'll be debugging some mess written by a pajeet 15 years ago. Or things like Karen telling you to move a button 10 pixels to the left. If you have to do that for 8 hours in an office it will make you want to do a backflip off the roof. But if you can do it from home and doesn't take much time, it's pretty nice.

I mean you probably won't be working on something new and interesting, you'll be debugging some mess written by a pajeet 15 years ago. Or things like Karen telling you to move a button 10 pixels to the left. If you have to do that for 8 hours in an office it will make you want to do a backflip off the roof. But if you can do it from home and doesn't take much time, it's pretty nice.
Makes sense, at the end of the day it's just another office job.

I kind of awesome in my case. You have flexible work hours and you can pretend that easy task are hard and time consuming so you can fuck around while being payed.

I kind of awesome in my case. You have flexible work hours and you can pretend that easy task are hard and time consuming so you can fuck around while being payed.
Sounds pretty good for you :feelsLSD::feelsLSD::feelsLSD:

Fuck that shit :feelswhat:

Re: List of programming languages i know
Moronism
Png

#182293722Sunday, January 24, 2016 1:19 AM CST
Ah, did you create this thread solely to boast about your crystallized knowledge? Well then, I would have to inform you that "mastery" subjectively-arises from actual fluid usability and necessity of the language rather than simple rote memorization, as you seem to display. Your interchangeable use of the terms "programmer" and "scripter" is rather questionable, given significant differences between programming and scripting. Nonetheless, I would not argue that you are necessarily incapable. I would simply state that you may not be as capable as you attempt to claim. This is simple novice's overestimation.

Moronism
Png

#182695811Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:56 PM CST
The actual importance of the Lua components depends entirely on what you intend to design using Lua. Nonetheless, the standard programming concepts such as variables, functions/subroutines, data-types, and data-structures should be understood and utilized, along with default keywords/operators. All "complex" projects are derived directly from those basic concepts. You should consider tasking yourself with constructing solutions to problems that you would like to "solve." That will allow you to create more effective algorithms as you advance. Here is an excellent resource for acquiring Lua knowledge: http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html

I'm thinking of switching my majors. I'm studying mechanical engineering currently and I don't like it much. I've been doing some coding in my free time and I think it's a career i'd be interested in pursuing.
Do you have to be smart to be just an average code monkey? I'm a pretty humble guy without much of a drive. I just want to be able to afford my own place to live and copes like vidya and gym. Don't want to ever get married or have kids so no need to worry about those expenses.
I'd get an autism diagnosis first, though you seem pretty sure that you're non-NT so go for it. It's much easier than engineering, and unlike all the shitty non-NT coders you could actually be good at it if it's within your IQ range. And by that I mean stay away from machine learning or low level languages if you're not high IQ, and stay away from back-end languages as a whole if you're below average IQ. Though some Java generic CRUD jobs are easy as hell they're boring and suicide inducing. Try to get jobs where you have plenty of new things to build rather than maintaining shitty old CRUD apps.

It's better if you develop a genuine autistic interest for it as well. Makes it easier to outperform normies who are more interested in raising their wife's son or playing sports.

I'd get an autism diagnosis first, though you seem pretty sure that you're non-NT so go for it. It's much easier than engineering, and unlike all the shitty non-NT coders you could actually be good at it if it's within your IQ range. And by that I mean stay away from machine learning or low level languages if you're not high IQ, and stay away from back-end languages as a whole if you're below average IQ. Though some Java generic CRUD jobs are easy as hell they're boring and suicide inducing. Try to get jobs where you have plenty of new things to build rather than maintaining shitty old CRUD apps.

It's better if you develop a genuine autistic interest for it as well. Makes it easier to outperform normies who are more interested in raising their wife's son or playing sports.
So i’m a noob but would C++ and javascript be considered low level?

So i’m a noob but would C++ and javascript be considered low level?
I'd say C++ is pretty low lvl. Javascript is the opposite, it's a messy language but once you learn the basics it doesn't take much brains to write for a living, excluding when there's a lot of complexity around it like in high paying front-end jobs

I'd say C++ is pretty low lvl. Javascript is the opposite, it's a messy language but once you learn the basics it doesn't take much brains to write for a living, excluding when there's a lot of complexity around it like in high paying front-end jobs
So is writing C++ or python code for a living not possible if you aren’t a genius?
What should I do? Pretty sure you gotta learn low level languages in college too btw.

What should I do? Pretty sure you gotta learn low level languages in college too btw.
Re: HTML
AnonyAnonymous
Png

#150346597Monday, November 24, 2014 2:08 PM CST
"anony, i find that assembly is too complex for the most part. i prefer to write the base kernel in assembly and write the rest in C/C++" Well, general development has certainly shifted as internal and external research progressed further, C-based languages have certainly allowed for simpler mechanisms to perform advanced tasks on a medium-level scale. It's all a matter of circumstances and personal preference.

Re: i'm thinking about learning java
AnonyAnonymous
Png

#152700456Monday, December 29, 2014 1:10 AM CST
"most corporations hire C/C++ programmers i think." The general consensus itself is actually more oriented towards C-Sharp/Java; Although, the capabilities of C are highly beneficial.

Re: Explain why you people use Lua over C/Asm
AnonyAnonymous
Png

#184134954Monday, February 22, 2016 2:16 AM CST
The actual use depends entirely on preference and necessity. If you prefer to manipulate hardware functionality on a more direct level, Assembly/C is excellent to utilize. Nonetheless, the majority of individuals seem to prefer high-level abstraction, which is often much more "accessible" to beginners than low-level instructions. Given the simplicity of Lua, I would not consider it reasonable to compare the language to low/middle languages such as C or Assembly.

So is writing C++ or python code for a living not possible if you aren’t a genius?
Sure it is. Python is easy, it's what it's used for that's relevant. If you wanna be an epic machine learning boy using Python then you'll be competing with masters degrees for few jobs, but Python is one of the most popular (high-level) languages with countless other jobs. C++ is more difficult, annoying imo and has fewer jobs than higher level languages like Java and C#.

Sure it is. Python is easy, it's what it's used for that's relevant. If you wanna be an epic machine learning boy using Python then you'll be competing with masters degrees for few jobs, but Python is one of the most popular (high-level) languages with countless other jobs. C++ is more difficult, annoying imo and has fewer jobs than higher level languages like Java and C#.
Thank you for the info

Re: List of programming languages i know
Moronism
Png

#182293722Sunday, January 24, 2016 1:19 AM CST
Ah, did you create this thread solely to boast about your crystallized knowledge? Well then, I would have to inform you that "mastery" subjectively-arises from actual fluid usability and necessity of the language rather than simple rote memorization, as you seem to display. Your interchangeable use of the terms "programmer" and "scripter" is rather questionable, given significant differences between programming and scripting. Nonetheless, I would not argue that you are necessarily incapable. I would simply state that you may not be as capable as you attempt to claim. This is simple novice's overestimation.

Moronism
Png

#182695811Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:56 PM CST
The actual importance of the Lua components depends entirely on what you intend to design using Lua. Nonetheless, the standard programming concepts such as variables, functions/subroutines, data-types, and data-structures should be understood and utilized, along with default keywords/operators. All "complex" projects are derived directly from those basic concepts. You should consider tasking yourself with constructing solutions to problems that you would like to "solve." That will allow you to create more effective algorithms as you advance. Here is an excellent resource for acquiring Lua knowledge: http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html
:feelsUgh:

It's great!

My dick is bigger

I'm taller

I don't need glasses anymore

I'm fucking rich

Best job ever

if not for the fact that i don't feel morally right by programming,i might have studied it.but as a lot of it is contributing to the finacial sector and corpo business shit, i wouldn't feel too good by doing it.

Sounds pretty good for you :feelsLSD::feelsLSD::feelsLSD:
It is, and I have no reason to feel bad about it because my boss scams the government on the regular for “research subventions” – money so I’m indirectly leeching of the ordinary tax-slaves.

It’s pretty comfy.:feelscomfy::feelscomfy::feelscomfy:

I advise joining a smaller company because they cannot afford to observe your activity 24/7.

You also have to deal with a massive FOID HR department that don't shit coding but want to set cuck soy policy about everything
Most software bouses are cuckmaxxed
Also:

Also

Depends, if you do it as career, or just for fun. In majority of companies the difference between mid and senior is solely communication skills. Most companies require mid devs to have decent communication skills. By communication skills I mean clearly and concisely communicate your ideas to your peers and to business. You also will need to push back work In a way you won't appear lazy. Otherwise you'll be that guy, who stays late on Friday, and still fails to meet deadlines.

And yes, if you're year or 2 In your career, you might be happy with just making cool stuff, when being told to. But then you'll see your peers progress in their career, and you will want to be senior, or to work in higher tier company.

With regards to cognition, you should be smart enough to crack that interview questions, but that's not the main career driver.

I used to work with a guy, who was just awful, he had senior grade despite being barely able to code. He had good reputation there. Why. Easy: he glowed. He knew how to pick work that's not hard, but visible. Security champion duty? This guy is in. What does it mean? Hell be mentioned in all docs as such, that's it. There was not a single improvement in security from his side. Team inherited project ridden with bugs, that needs to be fixed ASAP? "I don't want to do it". He goes and refactor some shit cause he " drives quality".

I'll give you another example. I used to work with a guy, he was in his 50s. Super smart, new a lot abut network and databases. He was the guy, who could resolve issue whole team was working for 3 days with no success as something obvious. He was technically team lead, but he had no team he was supporting system in his corner and that's it. For a person if his intelligence that's fail. But this was in a company, that puts tech at very high priority. They are fastest in their market and that's the key selling point. No shit, a guy who was fired because he was "slow thinker" for them works at google.

TL;DR of this.
Yes if you want to be junior or work in outsourcing.
No if you want a decent career

Last edited:
It depends on what kind of work you want to do. C++ is mainly low-level shit. So you either need to be smart, or work in a gamedev.

Is is frontend, so you'll make forms and buttons.

Python use people for data analysis or scripting.

But do not choose language. Choose what you want to do. Like many frontend devs use typescript and many backenders use kotlin. Switching from one language to another is way easier, than any other switch. At some point you'll have to know several programming languages.

It is, and I have no reason to feel bad about it because my boss scams the government on the regular for “research subventions” – money so I’m indirectly leeching of the ordinary tax-slaves.

It’s pretty comfy.:feelscomfy::feelscomfy::feelscomfy:

I advise joining a smaller company because they cannot afford to observe your activity 24/7.
:yes::yes::feelsLSD:

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back