Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

News (1) Scientific Literacy Series - Introduction

Copexodius Maximus

Copexodius Maximus

Mentally destroyed by reality
★★★★★
Introduction to this series

Have you ever heard fellow brocels here talking about subjects that went way over your head?
Have you ever wished there was some way for you to learn the basic concepts that help to understand the blackpill and other scientific literature posts?
Well, I'm planning on doing a series about scientific concepts to help brocels learn about biology, anthropology, biochemistry, and many other subjects in depth.
I will be presenting subjects in a way in which even low IQ brocels would be able to understand.

[UWSL]This will be a really short introduction because it's just an idea I have in the making, and mostly want to see if you guys would like this. [/UWSL]
Eventually I'll go onto subjects that even I don't fully understand yet, and I will eventually help you guys also be able to navigate the scientific literature, so you can also research into this subjects and know how to navigate these papers to learn stuff on your own.

For this week I will keep it very short, so you guys can kind of make any suggestions and tell me what you think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the first thing you should know is that biology is the study of life.
When you think about life, it seems intuitive that we are living, animals are living, etc.
But how do we know things like plants or bacteria are living?
In order to study life, we need to define it so it can be used to see if something is a living thing or not.

Scientists have come up with a few basic rules that all livings things follow. If anything meets all the criteria in this list, then it is a living thing.

Traits of Living Things
1) Collect and use energy from the environment. (ex. Food for humans)
2) Ability to reproduce (This means it can have kids and make more of itself)
3) Respond to things in the environment (this means it reacts to things that happen in the outside world, usually automatically like trees shedding leaves)
4) Maintain constant internal state (so the inner workings of the being can keep happening and the being won't just die).
-Another word for this process is called
homeostasis

There are 2 fundamental concepts in biology, and underlie the study of living things:

1) All living things are systems of chemical reactions.

A system is a collection of components that work for a common goal, and in the case of living things, the system is their body that works together to accomplish the criteria I gave above (see the sections called traits of living things).
A system is always defined in respect to a surrounding. So if there is a system, there must be a surrounding/environment.
You can either have an open system, closed system or an isolated system.

System and surrounding - Energy Education

Living things are open systems (their bodies) that are able to exchange energy and matter with the environment (everything outside the body).
Essentially, a living thing is one big collection of chemical reactions that work together to make the chemical reactions keep on going.

2) All living things evolve over time

If you think about living things as systems, the chemical reactions that work together in the system change (mutate) a little bit generation after generation.
This is called evolution.

There are an almost an infinite different ways these chemical reactions can differ, but like any machine, one small change can make the whole thing fall apart.
So most changes (mutations) are usually not good at all.
This is because the biological machinery was already made to live, and fucking around with it might fuck up some important shit. It's like why you aren't allowed to touch the controls in an aiplane when it's in autopilot, changing some setting will probably make it crash.

However, some changes (mutations) can be good, like the change in the chemical reactions leads to a person living longer, having blue eyes instead of brown, etc. However, these good changes are very rare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first post, and I hope this gives a strong background on what it is to come in the future.
Also, I tried to give you the important ideas but make them as clear as I can.
Please give any feedback.

And if you guys have anything to add to my explanations or how it could have been better, please share.
Also, ask any questions as well.

the (1) on the title is high iq
and this post is high iq

the (1) on the title is high iq
and this post is high iq
It fooled me into thinking I got an alert from this specific thread making me click it